Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
imac 2.4 C2D with 1 gb ram and 256 ati 2600 pro!

Or the macbook pro 2.2 C2D 2gb ram geforce nvidia 128 8600 gt.

I can affoard to get the 256 dedicated gpu memory in the imac but only 128 nvidia in the macbook pro! I know in the macbook pro you can upgrade to the 256 nvidia graphics card but i can affoard to do so.:mad:

Which graphic card is better for games and which computer will do the job! i will be playing cs source and the tf 2

What do you prefer playing games on a desktop or a laptop! i am use to playing on a laptop but i hear its better to play on a desktop with bigger screen.

which mac do you think i should chose?

Leopard = excitment

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
I play my games on the imac 2.4 with the 2600HD. It runs WoW very well, 60fps consititnly, the lowest it has gone was 30fps, in Orgrimmmar by the bank and auction house. This video card really is better than people excpetcted it to be. The imac is fine to game on.

Also, it is a matter of if you need it or not. Do you need the laptop for college and university, or other things? Or do you want it purley because it will play your games faster.

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
I would suggest the desktop, laptops tend to overheat more easily when gaming, which means you have to constantly be thinking of that when you are playing by making sure there is air space under the lappy. you can see my specs of my system. I don't play cs source, but i do have TF2 and it runs it maxed out absolutely no problems, which doesn't say much since it is such a low requirement game. my system was playing HL2 though just fine, at highest settings if i remember right. It really is a tossup though, that 256mb VC will make a big difference in gaming graphics, but the 2Gb of Ram also makes a big difference in everything that you will do on your computer. I strongly urge you to get the iMac, and then upgrade it to 2Gb of ram when you can, or hold off until you can order it with 2Gb of ram, because it really does make a big difference.
Leopard is going to be good. very good. I can't wait to utilize these 64 bit processors finally.:apple:

liquidthunder

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2006
Imac is better for gaming imo, however, be warned that there have been a few issues with the new video drivers for the radeon x2600. there is a fix in the works hopefully.

Myself, I play games with my 15" 2.16 Core Duo MBP but I have the 256 mb radeon x1600 option. It does great but I want a bigger screen. You cant go wrong with the imac. 24 inches is huge! They should be fixing those drivers soon and for the most part, it is only certain games ppl are having trouble with.

Also, check out the refurb deals on the apple website. That is how I bought my MBP. It has the same warranty as a brand spankin new mac and you will save mega cash. You might be able to get whatever you really want if you went that route.

woodsea

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
Desktops are much easier to play on. Laptops are more convenient for lan parties on airplanes, it also pisses off the old bags that United Airlines calls stewardesses.

FullCollapse

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2006
Oneonta, NY
i prefer a desktop. i had a pc laptop of my own, and since i've gotten my imac in january, i've sworn off laptops. they're more costly and the performance is not up to par when compared to a desktop. you get much more for your money with a desktop in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.