Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

formalxi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2018
Hi, everybody! I want to buy an iPhone, but I hesitate to buy an iPhone x or an iPhone8 plus. They should be reliable in terms of safety performance, but there are all kinds of bad information about them on the Internet, which makes it more difficult for me to choose. Can you give me some Suggestions?

Reactions: apolloa

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It depends on personal preference. I chose the 8 Plus because I prefer a home button and TouchID to swipes and FaceID, as well as preferring the wider display. Slightly better battery life is nice as well. Combined with the same processor and RAM as the X, the 8 Plus is really the better phone for me, but others feel the exact opposite.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi, everybody! I want to buy an iPhone, but I hesitate to buy an iPhone x or an iPhone8 plus. They should be reliable in terms of safety performance, but there are all kinds of bad information about them on the Internet, which makes it more difficult for me to choose. Can you give me some Suggestions?

It really depends on if you want to have kids in the future.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I wouldn't buy neither at this stage. The iPhone X is going to be removed from the line and the new models will become cheaper than the X was. Purchasing the 8 Plus means you would get an outdated phone in a few months aswell not to talk about the outdated design since 2014.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I wouldn't buy neither at this stage. The iPhone X is going to be removed from the line and the new models will become cheaper than the X was. Purchasing the 8 Plus means you would get an outdated phone in a few months aswell not to talk about the outdated design since 2014.
LOL. 8 outdated? What’s that make my 7 and my wife’s SE, which are both running smoothly and without issue? Ancient ancestors? :p

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
What do you mean by "safety performance"?
LOL. 8 outdated? What’s that make my 7 and my wife’s SE, which are both running smoothly and without issue? Ancient ancestors? :p
Design-wise, the 6-era iPhone is very primitive. Performance wise though, no issue.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
And you think the fall replacement for the 8 will be a complete redesign then?
Tim Cook said "The smartphone design for the next decade" so yes I'm pretty sure all of the newer iPhones will come with the iPhone X design. The 8 design is outdated, clunky and dead.

Reactions: Skika

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
Tim Cook said "The smartphone design for the next decade"

You do realise he was trying to sell it to you, don't you?

The 8 design is outdated, clunky and dead.

Smartphones are thin oblong slabs with a screen. Cosmetically they are all so very similar - except of course the iPhone X which has a screen shape incompatible with any media ever produced anywhere in the world.

Some phones have different size borders. Believe it or not, some people find they can get a more secure grip on the phone if they can wrap their fingers round without covering any of the screen.

Clunky? Get a grip (see previous point)

Dead? Yes, that's right - Apple haven't sold even one unit of the iPhone 8. Keep it credible.

Reactions: George Dawes

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What do you mean by "safety performance"? What is it that makes you unsure which one might be better for you--what's important to you?

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
You say there is "all kinds of bad information about them on the Internet" yet you're asking total strangers on a forum on the internet for suggestions???

Reactions: ericwn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You say there is "all kinds of bad information about them on the Internet" yet you're asking total strangers on a forum on the internet for suggestions???

I Think you’re being overly pedantic with your condescension. I _believe_with the OP is suggesting (Based in their wording) that there is a lot of varying websites that have published paid articles that may not tell the user everything they want to know (or) have varying information based off what one ‘Author’ posts, versus someone on a tech forum that will give them their personal opinion and view point(s) on why they make the suggestion about certain iPhone models similarly to the 8/X, (I.e likes/dislikes, other technical considerations, etc.)

Julienne

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
Texas
I keep and use my phones for many years though. If I upgraded every year or two I might have gone with the X. There’s no doubt the smaller footprint of the X is more comfortable to carry around.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Seems like op is debating only iPhone X and iPhone 8 Plus?

iPhone X is really a 5 inch iPhone

iPhone 8 Plus is a true 5.5 inch iPhone.

If they want smaller phone go for the X. If they want bigger screen iPhone to for the 8 Plus. Very simple. Spec wise. Both phones essentially the same otherwise. The 4.7 inch iPhone 8 has worst camera and less ram.

The real battle will be the 6.1 inch iPhone X2 (5.6 inch true screen) vs the iPhone 8S plus (If apppe decides to have same form factor). Than i would go for the X2

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Can you wait until September? Then you can get a new iPhone with faster chip, the features of X, at cheaper price.

The current X is an early adopter product, and the price shows it. The actual mass market flagship is the 8/8 plus (hence it got the product Red treatment, not the X). But if course they carry the “same” design as the previous 3 years of iPhones.

If you can wait, wait.
If you are financing the iPhone, just get the X. The monthly cost won’t be that much different.
If you are paying in full, personally I would just get the 8/8 plus. But that’s me.

Reactions: George Dawes

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I keep and use my phones for many years though. If I upgraded every year or two I might have gone with the X. There’s no doubt the smaller footprint of the X is more comfortable to carry around.

I don’t know that it’s more comfortable to carry around because of the additional weight with the iPhone X, as it does seemingly feel heavier because of the Ststainless bands and glass design. But it certainly is more comfortable to use one handed compared to the width of the iPhone 8 Plus.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
They are essentially the same phone, one is cheaper than the other.

russelljg

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2018
Surrey, UK
If you want the bigger screen get the 8+, if you want something now get the 8+ (and pocket the difference), else wait to see what the next iteration of the ‘beta’ X brings.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Smartphones are thin oblong slabs with a screen. Cosmetically they are all so very similar - except of course the iPhone X which has a screen shape incompatible with any media ever produced anywhere in the world.

I don't get 'incompatible' error messages when attempting to play media on my X. :D

Some phones have different size borders. Believe it or not, some people find they can get a more secure grip on the phone if they can wrap their fingers round without covering any of the screen.

I use a case that has zero protection on the sides of the phone & minimal protection on the top/bottom, so it's a near naked grip & don't suffer from screen coverage by hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.