Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
When finally I order that Mac Pro I'll want to add some disk. Obviously I'm going to do this myself not pay silly Apple prices as an order option.

So, the question is, as there are several free drive bays in the Pro, am I better to buy a single 500GB or two 250GB's?

Schroedinger

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2004
Baltimore, MD
I'll take a shot at answering this, but it's a huge wide open question.

You have three possible setups here: Lone 500, two separate 250s, or a RAID 250 (set up for performance not redundancy.)

The advantage of the single 500 is all your stuff is in one happy place and you have all your bays open for expansion in the future.

If you take the two 250s, and put the OS on one drive and all your media on the second (all your music, photos, etc.) you'll find your system is a little snappier. Especially in machine like the Mac Pro, your bottleneck is going to be the hard drive. By allowing the machine to use both drives during normal operations, your speeding up those operations.

The other option is a RAID set up. If you don't know about RAID, your best bet is to go look it up. Depending on how you use your computer, that may get you the advantages of a single drive and reading/writing to two drives, although it does double your exposure to hard drive failure.

good luck.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Personally I would go for two smaller drives.
I have Three 250 Gb drives in my Mac Pro. The first drive obviously for programs. The second drive used as a scratch disk for Photoshop and Final Cut and the third drive for backing up data.

FJ

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
If I were you I would get the 500 GB. Then find a good deal on another 500 GB HD. Then use the second HD to clone the first. You will be happy especially if you lose one HD... Plus it would be good for Time Machine once OS 10.5 comes out. Just my opinion.

Nuc

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Well I already have an external 500GB for archive but indeed I could perhaps mount that internally to save desk space - it it's a SATA anyway...

With the expense of the Mac Pro I can't really justify 2 x 500GB and here in Europe you'll get three 250GB drives for the cost of one 500GB.

And to be clear, I was meaning drives on top of the pre-installed 250GB.

I'll take the advice and read-up on RAID though - I've been hearing about it now for 10 years and still don't exactly understand it :confused:

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
3 cardinal rules of computing (especially with a brand new system):

1. Backup
2. Back up the back up
3. Have a plan to back up your back up plan

the towers can take 4 HDD's.....and you can always add more, or even go external if needed, so get the 2 now (size doesn't matter), and add more later when you need them

Samwise592

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
Long Island, NY
I'd get two 250's. Put the OS on one, and apps on another. Use the drive that came with it as a scratch disc. Then use your external 500gb with time machine to backup your data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.