Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjiphone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I have an older version of the ihome and it will not charge my new 3GS. I have looked at acouple different models and wondered if anyone had any advice?

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
I have an older version of the ihome and it will not charge my new 3GS. I have looked at acouple different models and wondered if anyone had any advice?

I got the iHome iP9 from Costco. Good price. Seems to work pretty well. I am fairly happy. But, I also like Costco's return policy in case I end up not liking it in the next month or so -- or if something goes wrong with it.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I got the iHome iP9 from Costco. Good price. Seems to work pretty well. I am fairly happy. But, I also like Costco's return policy in case I end up not liking it in the next month or so -- or if something goes wrong with it.

I got the same thing from the same place. Sadly I just packed it up literally about ten minutes ago.

For some reason when I docked my iPhone 3GS, I wouldn't receive sms SOUNDS nor rings. I just picked up a regular ol' dock and I'll be using that.

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
I got the same thing from the same place. Sadly I just packed it up literally about ten minutes ago.

For some reason when I docked my iPhone 3GS, I wouldn't receive sms SOUNDS nor rings. I just picked up a regular ol' dock and I'll be using that.

Hmmm...I hadn't tested whether the phone rings or not while it is docked. I guess I should.

I just know that it charges the phone and plays the music well.

machacker

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
I don't have a dock yet. But I am looking into getting one. If the dock is not specifically made for the iPhone interface, then the ringtones and SMS tones aren't going to come through the speakers.

I am currently on the search for that perfect dock though. :D

missadri

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
I actually searched for a very long time for something like this. I finally decided on a speaker dock (JBL Onstage III for iphone) there is no feedback and no need for airplane mode. It's a great little dock (battery and AC charger) perfect for traveling. The added bonus is it charges your phone very quickly and comes with a remote.

I also bought a $0.99 app called Alarm Tunes. it stays lit while charging (doesn't sleep) you can also pick which music from your iphone library that you would like to wake up to.

I find this combo the best because it's compact enough to take with you traveling.

Hope this helps.

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California

I just tested this and while playing music on the iHome iP9, the phone rang just fine when I called it. Strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.