Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Hey everyone, I need to know which is the best blocking caller app on iOS 10 . A strange number is callling my IPhone since the beginning of this week .

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
For free if you have AT&T I'd say their call protect app does a decent job of detecting calls. The downside of it is it isn't integrated into I think it's call kit. Which means you don't have the option to display on the call screen if it is a spam call. The only options are to block calls it thinks are spam, or checking the number with the app after a call.

If you don't mind a monthly fee the best app I've tried is Nomorobo. You can either have it display on the call screen if it is a spam call, or have it block the call. Also unlike some of the free ones it doesn't ask for access to your contacts.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hey everyone, I need to know which is the best blocking caller app on iOS 10 . A strange number is callling my IPhone since the beginning of this week .
There's Hiya, TrueCaller, Synce.ME, and other free ones that work or don't work to varying degrees. I personally haven't had much success with them.

Most who have paid for Nomorobo seem to be pleased.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I carry both ATTWS (personal) and VZW (work) iPhones. The ATTWS Call Protect app works fairly well, it ties into a database for fraud number blocks and spam warnings but numbers you block are blocked for only 30 days.

VZW provides a portal section for free 90-day blocking and other paid services - https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/block-numbers - I use the paid service, and it works on all of the handsets in my plan.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I carry both ATTWS (personal) and VZW (work) iPhones. The ATTWS Call Protect app works fairly well, it ties into a database for fraud number blocks and spam warnings but numbers you block are blocked for only 30 days.

VZW provides a portal section for free 90-day blocking and other paid services - https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/block-numbers - I use the paid service, and it works on all of the handsets in my plan.
The Verizon service is almost useless though, as the free service can only block 5 numbers for 90 days, and (almost worse) the paid service only blocks 20, though there isn't a time limit and "unknown" numbers can be blocked.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
The Verizon service is almost useless though, as the free service can only block 5 numbers for 90 days, and (almost worse) the paid service only blocks 20, though there isn't a time limit and "unknown" numbers can be blocked.
I don't find it too useless, mainly for the blocking restricted/unavailable/private numbers - for work, the number of calls I get from vendors each week can get annoying. The tactic used too often against a block is to *67 their calls, or call one of my managers - a few dozen of those in a week, preventing *67 calls to my phones smooths out my work week. Cheers!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
For T-Mobile users... they have implemented a new call blocking system you can activate right from your iPhone:

#664# = Enable Scam ID
#662# = Enable Scam Block
#632# = Disable Scam Block
#787# = Check Scam Block Enable Status

With regard to the free "Hiya" app, I found it to be effective, however, it consumes your battery like a thirsty Camel in the Sahara. It only lasted one week before I removed it. My battery usage went back to normal.

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden

Hi Math,

Kamran here working at Truecaller.

You can block calls with Truecaller, simply add it in 'My Block list' within the 'Spam' tab.
It's an free app and the beauty with it is that the spam list is community-based from over 250 million users and is being updated on daily bases. As it's an global app we'll probably identify numbers from all continents. You should try it out. Ping me if you have any questions or concerns.

Have a nice day!
Kamran Mamedi

"https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/truecaller-spam-identification-block/id448142450?mt=8"

Andrew.s

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Inland Empire
You can block directly from within the Phone app itself. I haven't had the need to download a third party app to do this as the built in feature works well enough it seems.

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden
You can block directly from within the Phone app itself. I haven't had the need to download a third party app to do this as the built in feature works well enough it seems.

Andrew,

That is indeed true. But the back-draw with that is that you need to save all the numbers you wish to block in your contact list and it's not sustainable in the long run, that is not needed with Truecaller though. In addition to this, it's always good to be protected from scammers as well in this day of time. They're increasing drastically unfortunately.

Have a nice day,
Kamran

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Andrew,

That is indeed true. But the back-draw with that is that you need to save all the numbers you wish to block in your contact list and it's not sustainable in the long run....
Not so, at least in the US. All you have to do is scroll down to Block This Caller and select. Here is an unknown number that I'm about to block.

IMG_2596_zpsjzj1nmv2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsam

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden
Not so, at least in the US. All you have to do is scroll down to Block This Caller and select. Here is an unknown number that I'm about to block.

Hi Julian,

Oh okay, that's good! Guess it was implemented in iOS10. However, if you wish to be protected from spammers and identify numbers for free then install Truecaller :)

Let me know if anyone has any questions or concerns. Ping me!

Best wishes,
Kamran

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The downside of it is it isn't integrated into I think it's call kit. Which means you don't have the option to display on the call screen if it is a spam call.

Actually... It is! I received a call last week and it displayed "Telemarketer" instead of the phone number. I declined the call and opened the call protect app, and it had detected the caller as a Telemarketer. The call still went through because the app wasn't 100% sure, but the Call Protect app does seem to have some integration with the rest of the phone.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
CA

IMG_2596_zpsjzj1nmv2.jpg
[doublepost=1498164811][/doublepost]The blocking feature on the iphone iOS 10 isn't worth a crap. All spammers do is get a hold of another number and call you again and again. My block list is at a horrendous length now and I'm just waiting for when I get a message telling me that I'm out of room.

amitsingh08

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
Dear kamranmamedi,
Given TrueCaller's success, I could never understand why app missing crucial feature to block calls, if number missing from phone contacts.
More context - I get ~10 spam calls every day, trying to sell me investments when I dont have funds. Lol

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
CA
If it's only one strange phone number you can just block that number manually.
I must have a mile-long list of blocked numbers that keep calling back and the thing about blocking is, that they just get another burner phone number and call you back. So blocking one number isn't of any help at all. Because this borders on harassment, what there should be, is some type of law mandated by the government, that would prohibit this type of harassment, but I guess the government is way too busy with other things!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.