Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigm978

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Just curious as to what others thought. Right now i am looking at big keyboard email, but i want to hear some suggestions.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I've been looking at these apps as well. The one thing I didn't like was the fact that you have to switch back and forth between the app and mail to send or reply but it seems as if all of them require this. If anyone has tried multiple apps I'd also like to hear more reviews.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Just curious as to what others thought. Right now i am looking at big keyboard email, but i want to hear some suggestions.

I've only actually used Wide Email, which I've been very happy with by and large. However there is an issue with it (which the developer is aware of and working on fixing) where some 'special' characters like the pound sign and the ampersand (&) will cause a truncation of the message when it transfers over into the mail app. Apparently Sideways doesn't have this problem, according to the developer.

But yeah- due to the way the API works they all have to compose things within the program and then transfer the text over to the Mail application, it's just a limitation of how Apple set things up.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Wide email, due in no part because the designer pops in here and is willing to help out with problems.

bigm978

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
do any of them have the option to save as a draft incase you're not in a wifi hotspot so you can send it later?

xerxes2008

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
do any of them have the option to save as a draft incase you're not in a wifi hotspot so you can send it later?

Hey everybody, this is Pat, the developer of Wide Email.

I've bought all the other apps as well just to know what my competition is, and as far as I can tell, none of them have the ability to save drafts. If you quit the apps and reopen them later, your text will still be there, but you have to finish that email before you can start another one. Wide Email lets you save an email as a draft, start a fresh email and send it, then go back later to finish the first email. You can save an unlimited number of drafts.

A draft is saved automatically if you're interrupted while in the middle of typing an email ... for example, if you press the home button.

Wide Email also auto-saves every email you send from it. A "Sent Drafts" folder will appear in the drafts list, and you can see, resend, edit, and re-save any of these sent drafts. Mostly this is meant to protect you in case something goes wrong with sending the text from Mail .. your writing is never lost. But it can also serve as templates for quickly writing future emails.

Hope that helps. Here's the app store link for Wide Email, just fyi:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=289274499&mt=8

Cheers,
pat

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
A couple of these have caused Apple Mail to crash on me for the first time. Never crashed before until I installed and started to use these type of apps. So I decided to stop using any of these for now.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Hey everybody, this is Pat, the developer of Wide Email.

I've bought all the other apps as well just to know what my competition is, and as far as I can tell, none of them have the ability to save drafts. If you quit the apps and reopen them later, your text will still be there, but you have to finish that email before you can start another one. Wide Email lets you save an email as a draft, start a fresh email and send it, then go back later to finish the first email. You can save an unlimited number of drafts.

A draft is saved automatically if you're interrupted while in the middle of typing an email ... for example, if you press the home button.

Wide Email also auto-saves every email you send from it. A "Sent Drafts" folder will appear in the drafts list, and you can see, resend, edit, and re-save any of these sent drafts. Mostly this is meant to protect you in case something goes wrong with sending the text from Mail .. your writing is never lost. But it can also serve as templates for quickly writing future emails.

Hope that helps. Here's the app store link for Wide Email, just fyi:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=289274499&mt=8

Cheers,
pat

Hi Pat! I just bought your Wide Email app a few days ago and have used it once or twice so far and it seems great! I selected yours because of the draft issue, because of the reviews here of those who had used it and to be honest, I liked your icon the best :p
Thanks for hanging around here! :apple:

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Pat,

Firemail has a cool feature that lets the user cut and paste using snippets and bookmarks. Big Keyboard Email lets you use different size fonts. That is useful for older people. I'm not sure if it lets you change the font size in the e-mail as well. Also, is there a way to use italics, underline, bold, and different font colrs and send it through the e-mail. All of these would be excellent implementations to enhance your app. Please implement these so that one app will perform the different tasks. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.