Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
From my experience with the Sony 50mm macro, regardless of what I'm trying to shoot, it is slow to acquire focus and "hunts" much more than it should.... It is a nice lens but does have its limitations. That is one reason I much, much prefer my Sony 90mm macro. That lens has been a favorite from Day One.

As for the water-drop shooting scenario, I haven't tried it, but if I were attempting to do that sort of photography in natural lighting conditions I'd use one of the fastest lenses I have, an f/1.2.....or barring that, one of the special kits that some people use to get the timing dead-on right on their water (liquid) drop shots. I do think, though, that most people who produce water/liquid drop images do use flash / strobes to light and capture the exact instant of the drop(s). Even at that, it still takes time to get things exactly right!
You are right: I have another Macro 70mm and tried that one too. But eventually the best sharp photo was that one and few others.
So far I don't have any lens f/1.4 or lower. Which one would you suggest? I don't have a wide angle either or a portrait one.
Moved the conversation here being about specific lenses.

Sigma or Tamron suggestions are welcome too.

Last edited:

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I absolutely love my Sony/Zeiss 55mm 1.8, I know it is an older model but it is still very quick and it was my first big lens purchase.

I have rented the 90mm macro and that is an amazing lens for close up shots. As my daughter grows and if she gets into athletics I would love to get the Sony 200mm 2.8 but since I wouldn't use it too much right now I may as well let new ones come out and get a used one later or the newest one when the time comes. As good as the Sony lenses are though the 85mm 1.4 Sigma Art very good for portraits that doesn't quite cost as much as the Sony one. Wide umm how wide are we talking? if you are a vlogger or what do have around that focal length you can't go wrong with a 16-35mm but that would be f2.8. If you want just a wide view prime maybe the 35mm 1.4 if that is wide enough.

It is all hard to say because if you want a high quality prime I don't think you could go with the Sony G Masters or Sigma Art, but these you are also going to be spending some $$$ like any other fast prime though. I would say you do pay a premium going the Sony route though. As you can see in my signature I do have 2 Tamerons that satisfy my needs (though I do use the 20mm less than I thought I would) Most of the time I'm around decent lighting so especially being in Southern California so my fast lens needs may differ from you, but those that I listed is what I personally would get should the need for them arise that I can personally justify the cost.

Reactions: Clix Pix and katbel

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Well, a lot -- most of this, actually -- depends upon what you prefer to shoot....and unfortunately sometimes that takes a while to figure out! What for me is a pair of favorite lenses (Sony's 90mm macro and 100-400mm zoom) might not be at all be appealing to or right for someone else. Of course I have other lenses, and they're great for various purposes and specific scenes, but they aren't my favorites. Neither of those two favorite lenses is especially fast, actually, as the 90mm macro is f/2.8 and the the 100-400mm zoom is variable depending upon the extent to which one zooms.

It takes time to develop a sense of which lenses will work for you in the way that you want and need -- and that is good, as it gives you time to really assess what you like to shoot, and what lens(es) support that along with what you want to have and use "just because." This stuff isn't inexpensive, though, as we all know! I'm retired, not wealthy and am on my own, not financially supported by anyone else, so it takes me a little longer than it might others to get the lenses which I think will work out well for me in specific shooting situations.

One thing I learned a long time ago, though, back in my Nikon days, is that more often than not, faster is usually a better choice when it comes to lenses. Unfortunately, usually faster lenses are more expensive. Another thing I also learned, too, is that in the long and the short run, going for genuine quality right from the start makes a difference and in the end makes more sense all the way around than buying cheap junk just to get some gimmicky pseudo-effect. As most people on here realize, too, in general I am not a fan of buying third-party lenses, so can't offer any recommendations with regard to either Sigma or Tampon lenses. The extraordinary Voigtlander lenses are the exception, and I do have three of those (two of which are macro lenses. Gee, do you think maybe I really love macro??!).

Getting back to fast lenses: yes, I have a couple of lenses which are f/1.2. Most of the time I don't shoot with them wide-open but occasionally I do -- just for the heck of it and because, well, I can. One is the fantastic 50mm f/1.2 Sony GM and the other is the equally fantastic Voigtlander f/1.2 35mm. Most of my lenses are either f/1.4 or f/1.8mm, except for the long zooms, which have variable apertures.

When I first started out, somewhere along the line I bought the Sony f/1.8 35mm and the f/1.8 85mm lenses. After a while I realized that I would definitely appreciate and use the 35mm f/1.4 GM fairly frequently, so eventually purchased that lens. It's surprising, the difference between f/1.8 and f/1.4, as you wouldn't think there would be that much, but there actually is. That 35mm f/1.4 GM is a gem of a lens and if you do a lot of shooting in that general range, this is at some point the lens to have.

However, I haven't replaced my f/1.8 85mm lens as I really don't seem to use it all that much -- I don't shoot many portraits which is what that 85mm is especially good for, and doubt that I would use the f/1.4 version any more frequently. f/1.8 is plenty fast enough in the situations in which I do use it. The f/1.8 versions of the 35mm and the 85mm lenses are excellent in their own right and are surprisingly reasonably priced, which is a pleasant treat coming to us from Sony. They're good for starters, to see how often you would use their respective ranges and whether or not you feel you would benefit from f/1.4 as opposed to f/1.8.

So....my suggestion would be, if you're interested in portraits, go for that 85mm f/1.8, see how you like it, if it does what you'd like.... There are rumors that there is a new version of the 85mm f/1.4 GM on the horizon, and that would be worth waiting for, as some users report various issues with the current 85 f/1.4 GM. Sony may possibly even bring out an f/1.2 version of the 85mm, which I think would be a real thrill to a lot of portrait photographers. (Unfortunately the price tag will most likely NOT be so thrilling!)

Wide-angle lenses.....I don't do a lot of shooting where wide-angle is required, but I do have the lovely little 20mm and I also have the astonishing 12-24mm f/2.8 zoom wide-angle lens. Many Sony users go for the several other wide-angle lenses in-between, 16- something, that are on offer, which are very popular and well-regarded. I think there is a power zoom version (that may be APS-C rather than FF, though) along with other versions.

Sony offers us so many wonderful choices in lenses...and that is both exciting and at times overwhelming!

Last edited:
Reactions: katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I absolutely love my Sony/Zeiss 55mm 1.8, I know it is an older model but it is still very quick and it was my first big lens purchase.

Well, a lot -- most of this, actually -- depends upon what you prefer to shoot....and unfortunately sometimes that takes a while to figure out! What for me is a pair of favorite lenses (Sony's 90mm macro and 100-400mm zoom) might not be at all be appealing to or right for someone else. Of course I have other lenses, and they're great for various purposes and specific scenes, but they aren't my favorites. Neither of those two favorite lenses is especially fast, actually, as the 90mm macro is f/2.8 and the the 100-400mm zoom is variable depending upon the extent to which one zooms.
Thanks a lot to both of you for the detailed comparisons and suggestions, appreciate the time you spent to write all that

I have kids and this is why I would like to have a portrait lens beside having a fast one for different shots , so far my fastest is a f/2.8 but I just got my new camera in the fall and I can't buy everything I like for family peace 😉
Interesting the 85mm f/1.4 GM but for sure Sony doesn't give its lenses for a low price.
I have one Macro 70mm Sigma Art and one Tamron 28-200 mm and I like both of them but a lens with f/1.4~ would be great.

Reactions: cthompson94

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Do you have a 50mm prime? I love portraits with an 85mm, but since you are just starting a lens collection, I think a 50mm might be more versatile for you as you can get detail shots and portraits. Yes, the 85 would be a bit more flattering for portraits, but depending on how big your house is, it can get really tight really fast. If you have a wide open house (open concept, few walls) the 85 would be okay, and it's great outside. But if you want to do indoor portraits too, or kids around the kitchen table, etc., I'd strongly consider a 50mm first.

Since you have a zoom lens, you can use it as a test lens, not even shooting with it, but just use it to see through for framing and composition - in your house, do you have enough room to capture a child (or two, or however many you have) in the frame together when your lens is set to 85mm? do you have enough space to back up to capture them and some of the room?

Or maybe you really do want an outdoor only lens (although then you wouldn't necessarily need a really fast lens), in which case the 85 would be lovely.

I can't give you any recs for Sony since I shoot other brands, but I'd just think about the focal length first. 🙂

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Thanks a lot to both of you for the detailed comparisons and suggestions, appreciate the time you spent to write all that

I have kids and this is why I would like to have a portrait lens beside having a fast one for different shots , so far my fastest is a f/2.8 but I just got my new camera in the fall and I can't buy everything I like for family peace 😉
Interesting the 85mm f/1.4 GM but for sure Sony doesn't give its lenses for a low price.
I have one Macro 70mm Sigma Art and one Tamron 28-200 mm and I like both of them but a lens with f/1.4~ would be great.
The Sony 85mm f/1.8 is reasonably priced and that would be a good start for portraiture....it's not as fast as the 85mm f/14 GM, but the latter is a whole lot more expensive and, as I mentioned, there are strong rumors of a new version on the way. I'd hold off to see what happens there.

The 50mm f/1.2 is fast, fast, fast -- but also expen$$$ive and might be out of the family budget for the time being. Also, personally I don't think 50mm is as flattering a range for portraiture, and I am not alone -- this is why many people go with 85mm instead. I haven't tried Sony's 50mm f/1.4 lens, so can't speak to its usefulness and flexibility in terms of varied shooting situations. Some photographers prefer 35mm for shooting scenes in different environments and lighting situations. Both the 35mm f/1.4 GM and the 35mm f/1.8 are very good lenses.

I quite agree that with young children, faster lenses are great for capturing their energy and activity quite nicely and are almost a "must." Also, of course faster lenses work well in low light, too, so there isn't the need to have as high an iSO.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Do you have a 50mm prime? I love portraits with an 85mm, but since you are just starting a lens collection, I think a 50mm might be more versatile for you as you can get detail shots and portraits. Yes, the 85 would be a bit more flattering for portraits, but depending on how big your house is, it can get really tight really fast. If you have a wide open house (open concept, few walls) the 85 would be okay, and it's great outside. But if you want to do indoor portraits too, or kids around the kitchen table, etc., I'd strongly consider a 50mm first.

Since you have a zoom lens, you can use it as a test lens, not even shooting with it, but just use it to see through for framing and composition - in your house, do you have enough room to capture a child (or two, or however many you have) in the frame together when your lens is set to 85mm? do you have enough space to back up to capture them and some of the room?

Or maybe you really do want an outdoor only lens (although then you wouldn't necessarily need a really fast lens), in which case the 85 would be lovely.

I can't give you any recs for Sony since I shoot other brands, but I'd just think about the focal length first. 🙂
I do have a big family room and sometime there are 4 children together.
I don't have a prime lens yet, this is why I'm asking here to get few more infos
Thanks for your input !

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
The Sony 85mm f/1.8 is reasonably priced and that would be a good start for portraiture....it's not as fast as the 85mm f/14 GM, but the latter is a whole lot more expensive and, as I mentioned, there are strong rumors of a new version on the way. I'd hold off to see what happens there.

The 50mm f/1.2 is fast, fast, fast -- but also expen$$$ive and might be out of the family budget for the time being. Also, personally I don't think 50mm is as flattering a range for portraiture, and I am not alone -- this is why many people go with 85mm instead. I haven't tried Sony's 50mm f/1.4 lens, so can't speak to its usefulness and flexibility in terms of varied shooting situations. Some photographers prefer 35mm for shooting scenes in different environments and lighting situations. Both the 35mm f/1.4 GM and the 35mm f/1.8 are very good lenses.

I quite agree that with young children, faster lenses are great for capturing their energy and activity quite nicely and are almost a "must." Also, of course faster lenses work well in low light, too, so there isn't the need to have as high an iSO.
Getting one for getting one I'm looking at a fast one but not $$$
What would be the difference of using a 35mm opposite to a 50mm or 85mm?

Edited: I found few website doing the comparison among the 3 and definitely the 85mm looks better but the experts opinions is always welcome 🙂

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
A 35mm lens is wider than a 50mm lens, and as such, provides more coverage of the scene that one is shooting. It is closer to what we normally see with our own eyes than any of the wider lenses such as 24mm, 20mm, etc. A 35mm lens, or at least Sony's, are close-focusing as well, so that one can also get some interesting images by choosing to shoot close to the foreground or the main subject and then have the background a soft blur in the distance. This works nicely in some landscape situations.

Both 35mm and 50mm primes work nicely for candid shots, especially when there are several people in the scene, as opposed to wanting to create a more formal portrait of one person -- that is where the 85mm shines.

• Love

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Is your biggest problem just the slow aperture of your zoom lens? Are you able to capture the types of images/portraits you want with it, if you have good light?

If so, then I would look at your exif data and see if there is a range of focal lengths that you tend to gravitate to that you'd like to continue using, but with a faster aperture. I know you don't use LR, but does your preferred editing program give you a way to sort by anything? LR tells me how many images I've taken with any given lens or any given focal length.

When you say "portraits" of your kids...do you mean something like individual images of each child with a blurry background, or are you wanting more documentary family types of images? Portaits means different things to different people. Are there photographers you follow on IG with a style that you like? I don't want you to have to post photos of your own kids here as samples of what you are trying to accomplish, but if there is an IG account of similar to what you want to do, I could probably guess what type of lens they are using (ie, focal length/aperture...not specific brands).

• Love

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I found few website doing the comparison among the 3 (various brands) and definitely the 85mm looks better for portraits because it has a nice blurred background and I like the subject stacking out from the background, beside the lens at f/1.4 being fast, referring to a Sigma 85 mm f/1.4 Art.
Is your biggest problem just the slow aperture of your zoom lens?
slow aperture
When you say "portraits" of your kids...do you mean something like individual images of each child with a blurry background, or are you wanting more documentary family types of images?
Each child mostly , is one of the reasons
Portaits means different things to different people. Are there photographers you follow on IG with a style that you like? I don't want you to have to post photos of your own kids here as samples of what you are trying to accomplish, but if there is an IG account of similar to what you want to do, I could probably guess what type of lens they are using (ie, focal length/aperture...not specific brands).
I don't post my children photos. Longtime ago I had myself a very scary experience of being stalked by someone who I trusted on internet- work related-not social media yet.
He asked to see a photo and he wasn't even living in the same continent. I'm not talking about a "special photo" just a normal plain photo. I was already married not a teenager. A total nightmare ..anyway, lesson learned.
Never a dull moment 😉

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Yes, definitely don't post family photos here if you aren't comfortable. I completely understand it. My kids are teens now and on social media, so I ask if it's okay to post their stuff. Otherwise it's stuff from when they were really small, so not really identifiable as their current selves, or faceless. They should make their own decisions about where their photos appear.

An 85 seems like it would probably work for you, but do know that it's a hard length to work with if you want multiple people; if your kids are school age and pay attention, it will be fine, but if you have any little ones and want more than one of them in the photo (for full length) then just know you'll be a bit of a distance away from them. But it does give a beautiful separation if that's your main goal. 🙂

I have only used Canon and Nikon 85mm lenses, so I can't help you for which is the best for Sony and your budget.

I'll be honest, 85mm is one of my favorite lengths and renderings; in my catalog, I have 3200 images with an 85mm and 2900 with a 50mm (this includes zoom length, I'm searching only by specific focal length). So I'm not in any way discouraging you from the 85, but it is a lot more difficult to work with indoors than a 35mm or a 50mm. 🙂 And since you have twice as many kids as I do, it will be a lot more difficult for group photos in general due to the distance required.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Also, a 50mm at f/1.4 or f/1.8 can also give you separation...remember from our first week of the P52, separation has a lot to do with how far the background is from your subject as much as aperture or focal length...you just have to be a bit more mindful of your locations if you use a 50mm, but you can still get lovely separation.

• Love

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I found few website doing the comparison among the 3 (various brands) and definitely the 85mm looks better for portraits because it has a nice blurred background and I like the subject stacking out from the background, beside the lens at f/1.4 being fast, referring to a Sigma 85 mm f/1.4 Art.

slow aperture

Each child mostly , is one of the reasons

I don't post my children photos. Longtime ago I had myself a very scary experience of being stalked by someone who I trusted on internet- work related-not social media yet.
He asked to see a photo and he wasn't even living in the same continent. I'm not talking about a "special photo" just a normal plain photo. I was already married not a teenager. A total nightmare ..anyway, lesson learned.
Never a dull moment 😉
You are indeed very wise not to post images of your children or yourself online. An awful lot of people don't seem to think twice about it as they casually post images of themselves (selfies), images of their family, images of their home and property, announce when they are or will be away from home on vacation, etc.....

Seriously, just really not a smart idea, especially on a wide-open site like MR which is viewed by many, many people, both members and non-members. Even if someone has set up what they think is a private account on one of the social media sites, that, too, may not be as safe and protected as they are assuming. We've already seen reports of breaches of one sort or another on various sites and of course there is the whole AI thing as well: where do people think that the AI folks are harvesting their images to use as resource material?

Anyway, back on topic: it definitely would be worth your time to go to a camera shop and check out the lenses in which you are interested, or even rent one or two of them for a week or so, either locally or from an online source, giving you the opportunity to actually use them in your own environment.

Keep us posted as to what you decide!

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Yesterday I went to try few at a camera store and decided for a 85mm f1.4 Sigma that is on sale too. It's 200 gr lighter compared to the 50mm, but it's not available at least till mid of next week. I was offered a demo but only 50$ less compared to the full price: I prefer to wait, not enough to entice me.
I will try it and let you know for sure 🙂
Thanks to all of you for your precious insights

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Soft orchidsf:1.4.jpeg
Doll.jpeg
Orchids f: 4.5.jpeg
Playing with my new lens 🙂. Tried different modes , first and 2nd one are in Aperture priority and last one in normal mode P. The doll dress is so detailed in the original , you can see the thread , here not so much but still.
Today the sun is coming on and off , different light and aperture change everything but it's so fast compared to other ones I have.
I 💖 it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.