Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

accordingi2ime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Hello.
I am planning to purchase retina ipad mini LTE.
Thing is... in a given year, I will probably spend about 1/3 of the time in Korea and 1/4 in Canada... rest in the US.
I want to be able to simply swap out the nano sim whenever I am in Korea or Canada to use lte service.
My understanding is that this is not a problem no matter which service I originally get since all the machines are the same. Am I correct in thinking so?

Is there anything I should know or consider before making a choice? If there are differences, which service is best suited for my needs?

I was considering T-mobile since they have very good international data roaming plan for when I am traveling and need to roam.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
Hello.
I am planning to purchase retina ipad mini LTE.
Thing is... in a given year, I will probably spend about 1/3 of the time in Korea and 1/4 in Canada... rest in the US.
I want to be able to simply swap out the nano sim whenever I am in Korea or Canada to use lte service.
My understanding is that this is not a problem no matter which service I originally get since all the machines are the same. Am I correct in thinking so?

Is there anything I should know or consider before making a choice? If there are differences, which service is best suited for my needs?

I was considering T-mobile since they have very good international data roaming plan for when I am traveling and need to roam.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question but maybe this little fact may help if you are almost up on your cell contact if you are not with t- mobile. I travel to Asia and I just began a t-mobile post paid plan. With this plan you get international roaming with data for free. To be more specific, you can text and get 2g data for free (good for email at least). You also get calling for .20 a minute. I know this May mot meet your needs but if it does you should check it out.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Yes, you are correct in thinking so.

This will ultimately depend on your specific needs, so this si something none of us can accurately research for you. However, If a carrier in South Korea or Canada is currently selling the iPad Air, there's a good chance then that the one you've purchased will work fine there.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Previous iPads had different models, one for North America and one for the rest of the world (i.e. last year's iPad Mini model A1454 was for North America, A1455 was for the rest of the world).

The iPad Mini with Retina Display only comes in one model (A1490) that has all the LTE bands. You will be able to swap in a nano sim from any carrier in any country that has LTE and it will work.

If you sign up with T-Mobile you will get their free international roaming, but keep in mind that the free international roaming option is limited to 2G data only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.