Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moey2k2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Hey :)

What portable Mac would be "enough" to use as/for TV (and some surfing)?
Using connect ability features to a big screen or TV via thunderbolt or HDMI...

I was thinking of simply using a cheaper Mac to watch my entertainment stuff.
I don't do regular TV or Satellite or whatever. I only stream online. Like Amazon or Netflix.

Appreciate any help please.
Thanks.

HappyMBAowner

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2015
Quebec
I use an MBA 2013 and it works perfectly with the thunderbolt/HDMI connection. A bit slower through an apple TV over bluetooth though.

1,7 GHz Intel Core i7
8 Go 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 Mo

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
What is your intent? Will it remain connected to the TV, or do you need something you can take along? If permanently attached, you could go the Mac Mini route. HDMI direct to the TV. If you need a portable, Air will do the trick, it doesn't require a lot to stream even HD content.

Reactions: Miguel Cunha

moey2k2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
What is your intent? Will it remain connected to the TV, or do you need something you can take along? If permanently attached, you could go the Mac Mini route. HDMI direct to the TV. If you need a portable, Air will do the trick, it doesn't require a lot to stream even HD content.

Mac mini is outdated... sadly. otherwise I would love to get it.
Permanent not necessary...

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
What portable Mac would be "enough" to use as/for TV (and some surfing)?
You asked what Mac would be 'enough' but then state that the MacMini is outdated. So, I'm at a loss for your needs.

Specifically, your requirements could be met with a $59 Raspberry Pi. If you want to pay a few dollars more get something prebuilt, check out something like a Roku Stick.

PS. I have two MacMini's currently running and they seem to do just fine. One is the 2012 version maxed out with i7 and the other is the 2015 version with i5.

moey2k2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
You asked what Mac would be 'enough' but then state that the MacMini is outdated. So, I'm at a loss for your needs.

Specifically, your requirements could be met with a $59 Raspberry Pi. If you want to pay a few dollars more get something prebuilt, check out something like a Roku Stick.

PS. I have two MacMini's currently running and they seem to do just fine. One is the 2012 version maxed out with i7 and the other is the 2015 version with i5.

Yes you are right. But the macmini is still outdated for me. There would be less sense in buying one now in my opinion since an update will come soon...

The idea is to use it for home, surfing and probably 90% for entertainment so it should have some storage... I don’t know the Roku. I will look into it...

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

The mini might be sufficient, but I (along with many people) would have a very difficult time spending so much on something so old.

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
The mini might be sufficient, but I (along with many people) would have a very difficult time spending so much on something so old.
So you imagine a "new" Mini will actually be better, faster, cheaper AND more flexible than the 2012? Especially after seeing the revisions to the Mini, MacBook and "Pro" series devices Apple has rolled out since 2013?

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
The current Mac mini would be fine, but I wouldn’t buy new. I would look at the Apple refurbished store.

It just stinks that it hasn’t been updated in 3 years.

Reactions: AleRod

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
A base model 2014 mini is more than adequate for this. I have my iTunes Library of about 600 movies and 600 TV shows on a 3TB hard drive connected to a 1.4ghz/4gb/500GB Mini. It runs 24/7 with homesharing enabled so I can watch all my media directly from the Mini on a TV through HDMI, on two Apple TV's in other rooms, on my MacBook Air and quad core 2012 Mac Mini and even my iPhone.

Yes, the 2014 Mini is outdated but you don't need a very powerful computer for this. And it's only $500 - I have seen reports of sales at big box stores going as low as $350.

As a bonus, just turn on filesharing and you have a nice network drive for backups, etc. Mine clocks at about 100MB/sec as a network drive - basically fast enough to saturate gigabit ethernet.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
So you imagine a "new" Mini will actually be better, faster, cheaper AND more flexible than the 2012? Especially after seeing the revisions to the Mini, MacBook and "Pro" series devices Apple has rolled out since 2013?

Sorry for the late response. I have no idea what a "new" mini might look like. I've heard some rumors, but they're just that--rumors.

My only comment was that the value of a mini for myself and many others has gone way way down as a direct result of Apple's inaction.

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
of course it has, especially since they kneecapped the "latest" versions. The rumors haven't been encouraging either, suggesting even less upgradeability, higher cost and probably lower specs. The situation looks dire.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
The rumors haven't been encouraging either, suggesting even less upgradeability, higher cost and probably lower specs.

What rumors have you heard that "suggest less upgradeability, higher cost and lower specs"? I have been keeping my ears and eyes open and have not heard any rumors at all. None. People with no inside knowledge have speculated on what a new mini might look like, but I would not call those "rumors". ;)

Tim Cook reportedly sent the following e-mail to a customer last summer, but I don't see how it could give any reasonable person much hope for a new Mini.

"I'm glad you love the Mac mini. We love it too. Our customers have found so many creative and interesting uses for Mac mini. While it is not time to share any details, we do plan for Mac mini to be an important part of our product line going forward."

See the "roundup" here: https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/mac-mini/ The final line sums it up...

"Though Apple says the Mac mini is an important product, there have been no rumors hinting at an update at this time."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.