Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
Hi all

I need to run OS9 natively not on an emulator but I can't remember if any of the Mini's can do it.

Thanks

Gary

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
OS 9 is not supported on any Mini. There may be unofficial ways of getting it up and running, but someone else will need to explain how to do that (if it's even possible).

Reactions: Ruftzooi and chrfr

bzgnyc2

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2023
Hi all

I need to run OS9 natively not on an emulator but I can't remember if any of the Mini's can do it.

Thanks

Gary
You would need a PowerPC-based Mac which means going pre-2006. Even then not all Macs leading up to that could boot OS9 natively. Some can only run Classic Mode under Mac OS X (up until 10.4). At least officially. As per Wikipedia:

The Mac Mini G4 was initially supplied with Mac OS X 10.3, then later with Mac OS X 10.4, and can run Mac OS 9 applications, as long as a bootable copy of the OS 9 system folder is installed from which to run the Classic environment (although the Mac Mini G4 cannot natively boot to Mac OS 9). As of Mac OS X 10.5, the ability to run the Classic environment was removed. Later, Mac OS 9 was able to run on the Mac Mini G4 through an unofficial patcher, though this was not supported by Apple...​

So if you really need to run Mac OS 9 -- and natively meaning not the Classic Environment -- and on a Mac Mini -- it might be possible if you can find a 2005 Mac Mini G4 and then find that unofficial patcher.

You're really going back a few decades on this one...

P.S.Also check out https://everymac.com/systems/by_capability/macs-that-support-macos-9-classic.html

Reactions: Chuckeee

GrumpyDonkey

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2023
You'd need a Titanium PowerBook G4, a G4PowerPC (Dual 500mhz) is a reasonable place to start. You would be looking at ebay to probably find one in any form of working order.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
If you can find a functional unit for sale at a reasonable/feasible price, I suggest the iMac “Flat Panel" (a.k.a. “iMac G4”):

This model is capable of booting in Mac OS 9 and using Mac OS 9 applications within the Mac OS X "Classic" environment.
Original OS: Mac OS 9.2.2
Maximum OS: Mac OS X 10.4.11

Comparison:

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-c...od1=iMacG4001&prod2=iMacG4002&prod3=iMacG4003

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
after more advice here, you need to enter a target date when osx9 was released then, with the keypad inside the DeLorean, operate that so the engine accelerates the car to 88 mph (142 km/h), which activates the flux capacitor.

see you on the other side!

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006

The cubes can also boot OS9.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN

The cubes can also boot OS9.
The caveat I see here is compatible displays. The graphics card only has ADC (Apple Display Connector) and VGA. Finding a G4 Cube (or iMac G4, or most vintage/obsolete Macs) in working condition for a fair price is already going to be a quest. I assume, finding an monitor with ADC (e.g., Apple Cinema Display) in fair/good condition is doubly as difficult. So, that leaves finding an LCD with VGA or trial (and probable error) on adapters.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The problem with imac is the screen is non replaceable.

?

I replaced my iMac G4 screen with a new one that popped up on eBay for cheap. You just have to watch. It's an easy replacement too.

I’m curious about the use case for an OS9 computer :)

Nostalgia and Games. It will run all the good stuff like Quake, Unreal, Sims, Age of Empires, Sim City 3000, etc. much faster than Mac OS X on PPC G3 & G4 hardware.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
?

I replaced my iMac G4 screen with a new one that popped up on eBay for cheap. You just have to watch. It's an easy replacement too.
For older machines its fine but new one of you try to do it it will void the warantee. So its not normally replace able.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.