Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Mini Mac to buy?

• Mini Mac 2014

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mini Mac 2018

Votes: 31 100.0%

• Total voters

Farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
In 2007 I purchased a Mac Mini which has worked fine. I updated it once and it has the Lion OS 10.7.5. Due to its "elderly" OS I need to buy a new Mini so I can use this years Tax software. I use the Mini soley for writing, reading the news and an occasional jaunt into You Tube. Should I buy the Mac Mini "2014" or the new pricier Mac Mini 2018 which seems to have many bells and whistles which I probably will never use.

Yes, this is a request from a computer semi-illiterate for some guidance.

Thanks.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
No question that the 2018 model is superior, but as you say, it's also more expensive. Don't waste your money on the bottom of the line 2014 Mini, it is unacceptably slow (I have one). If you were going with a 2014 model, B&H still has two in stock at a big discount over their original prices. This one is probably adequate for your use, but it has a slow hard drive. Maybe that won't bother you, since you've been using a 2007 Mini though. :)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086736-REG/apple_mgen2ll_a_mac_mini_2_6_ghz.html

This one has a faster processor, and also a "Fusion Drive", which is a hybrid solid state/hard disk that would perform better. But at this price, you are getting pretty close to the bottom of the line 2018 Mini

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086737-REG/apple_mgeq2ll_a_mac_mini_2_8_ghz.html

The base 2018 is definitely better, and it has a really fast solid state drive, but it's small - only 128GB. That may be too small for your type of use. Upgrading to a big solid state drive will really increase the price. You could get the base 128gb model and add a big external disk for another $100 - $150 as an alternative

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1441840-REG/apple_mrtr2ll_a_mac_mini_late_2018.html

Since you are still using a 2007 computer today, that makes me think you like to keep your gear for quite awhile. If so, then I would bite the bullet and get the 2018. The couple hundred extra dollars doesn't amount to much if you are going to use it for a long time.
[doublepost=1553288301][/doublepost]Hmm, I see that those B&H links don't work. They work fine when I open them directly ln my browser, but not when I click on them in the post. Copy and paste them in a new tab if they don't work when you click.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
I bought a Refurbished Apple Mac Mini(2014), 8GB Ram,256SSD from the Apple On-line Store in June, 2015 and it is still serving all of my light-user needs. Later this year I may purchase a Refurbished Mac Mini (2018) or iMac with an SSD from the Apple On-Line Store.

I also have a Refurbished Mac Mini(Late 2012), 16GB Ram, 500GB HD that I also purchased from the Apple On-Line Store back in the year 2013 and it too is still serving me well as a good Back-up to my newer Mac Mini(2014).

Last edited:

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
I have 2014 and 2018 minis. The 2014 (8GB RAM, Fusion Drive) works great for the kind of computing that you’re talking about. I use it for day-to-day computing and playing music and video. I only use the 2018, in conjunction with an external graphics card, for graphics-intensive work and games.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
First, a question regarding the 2007 Mini that you use NOW.
How much of the internal hard drive space have you used, during the years?

That's an important question because once we know it, we can advise you on what size SSD to get inside the new 2018 Mini.

DON'T buy a 2014 Mini. It's outdated and not worth the money any more, even though it "costs less".

That said...
You'll probably be very happy with the "base" (i3) 2018 Mini.

8gb of RAM will probably be "enough", although if you can afford it, I'd suggest getting 16gb pre-installed from Apple (we don't yet know what's Apple's RAM requirements for good operation are going to be 3, 5, 8 years down the road).

IF you haven't used up much space on your 2007's internal drive (less than, say, 75gb), you could probably do with the 128gb SSD. If you "need more space", you could buy an external USB3 drive (either SSD or HDD), and use that, and it will work VERY well.

IF you have used up more space to where 128gb would be "too tight" for your needs, I'd spend the extra $$$ and get the 256gb SSD.

If cost is a consideration, you might buy an Apple-refurbished 2018 Mini. It comes with the same 1-year warranty, same as new. Check this page:
https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac/mac-mini

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
DON'T buy a 2014 Mini. It's outdated and not worth the money any more, even though it "costs less".

As the owner of both 2014 and 2018 minis, I do not share this view. Bold face is not an argument. Here is a thread about using both. Tell us what is outdated about the 2014 and its use: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2018-mini-2014-mini-luna-display-music.2171149/

The fact is, cost is indeed an issue. At the right price, a 2014 with 8GB or 16GB of RAM and a solid state or Fusion drive, is very attractive for ordinary computing. Second-hand, in particular, may be much, much less expensive than the cheapest 2018.

My 2014 has a 128GB SSD and 1TB of hard drive storage. There isn’t a 2018 Fusion version, but the cheapest 2018 with 1TB of storage is US$1600. Yes, you can purchase 1TB of external storage, but internal is very convenient, and for many purposes entirely adequate.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The OP is buying a new Mini because his old one can't run the latest tax software any longer.

I believe he's probably referring to "TurboTax". I don't use it, but from what I've read, the publisher of that software has revised it so that it will only run under the most recent Mac OS releases. Hence -- older Mac, can't run later versions of the OS, can't run TurboTax. They'll probably do this with yet-to-be-released versions of TurboTax in the future, as well.

I believe the 2014 Mini may soon fall into the same problem as the OP is having now -- at least as far as TurboTax is concerned. Perhaps not this year, or next, year, or even 2021. But that will happen sooner with the 2014 Mini, then it does with a 2018 Mini ...

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
@Fishrrman,

I certainly agree that macOS is likely to drop support for 2014 computers sooner than 2018 computers. However, Apple sold the 2014 as part of its regular inventory until three months ago. I do not see macOS failing to support it anytime soon, and in particular I don’t see an issue on the horizon for 2014 minis with 8GB or 16GB of RAM and at least 128GB of solid state drive, which includes the Fusion Drive version.

I think that 2014 vs 2018 is about computing needs, specs, condition and price. My 2014 meets all of my computing needs except for graphics-intensive work and games, where I use a 2018 with an external graphics card. At the right price, and with the right specs (one needs to purchase knowing that the RAM is not upgradeable), I think that the 2014 is a very attractive computer.

Last edited:

Farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
In 2007 I purchased a Mac Mini which has worked fine. I updated it once and it has the Lion OS 10.7.5. Due to its "elderly" OS I need to buy a new Mini so I can use this years Tax software. I use the Mini soley for writing, reading the news and an occasional jaunt into You Tube. Should I buy the Mac Mini "2014" or the new pricier Mac Mini 2018 which seems to have many bells and whistles which I probably will never use.

Thanks.
[doublepost=1553360452][/doublepost]

Thanks.
[doublepost=1553360556][/doublepost]To all you nice people who have responded with helpful suggestions and inquiries — thank you very much.

To respond to the $ issue and why I still use a 12 year old Mac mini – if it ain't broke … blah, blah, blah. As far as tax programs, I used to use Turbo Tax but found that they too added many unnecessary features and so I switched to H&R Block several years ago and haven't been audited nor jailed yet. (Just a joke Mr. Tax man.) You are right Mr. Fishrrrman, the same problem may arise in the future but from experience Block seems to raise the bar less often than Turbo.

As for my usage – my HD has a 120 GB capacity and I have used 50 GB.

One of the features of the Mac Mini which really attracted me was that I could plug in the peripherals I had used with my PC (yes, I am a convert) into my new 2007 Mini and voilà, I was a happy camper. Without psychoanalyzing myself there is a certain pleasure in utilizing something to its utmost … and then throwing it away and buying a new one.

From the little I know about the 2018 vs 2014, is that the former has been radically redesigned and that (1) I may have to learn a lotta new stuff with new type ports and what have you and (2) my workhorse peripherals may have become obsolete – my Iomega 33749 160gm back up; my HP 51933 monitor; my USB desktop microphone by Logitech; and my Image camera of unknown pedigree. (Just bought a new printer so I know that will work.)

Has anything that I've written here helped in directing me?

I will now arise from the couch.

Lastly, I have always found the people on Macrumors to be exceedingly generous with their time and with their knowledge. You guys are no exception.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
2014:
2x Thunderbolt 2
3x USB 3
1x HDMI

Actually, that is incorrect. The 2014 Mini has 4 USB 3.0 ports. :)

SP710-connections_ports.jpg

As for the rest, like I said above my personal preference would be a 2018 Mini and evidently the 128GB SSD in the cheapest version would be comparable to your 2007 Mini. I would seriously consider upgrading that to one of the larger options though.... since it ain't 2007 anymore and software is getting bigger. :)

OTOH, if you are really concerned about cost, that first model I listed from B&H (2.6ghz i5 with 8gb RAM and 1TB hard drive) is only $549 and a huge upgrade from what you are using now. Apple provides at least 5 years of service and parts for the Mac, and the "clock" starts when they stop manufacturing the model. So, the 2014 Mini will receive full support from Apple unitl at least 2023. Operating system upgrades are often supported even longer than this, but there's no way to know for sure.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

B&H sells the base 2018 Mini for $749, so you will have to consider whether the extra $200 is worth the newer technology and additional year(s) of Apple Support. You may need a crystal ball to predict that however. For example, if Apple discontinued the 2018 Mini next year and replaced it with a 2019 model, then it might only get one additional year of support than the 2014 Mini. ;)

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
There is no contest in the poll between buying 2014

Thanks.
[doublepost=1566059436][/doublepost]There is no contest in the poll between buying 2014 or 2018, Why would anyone want 2014 model in 2019?:p

Farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
After a lot of trouble and misinformation from the technical people at Apple (which customer service was quite apologetic about) regarding the Mac Mini, I wound up buying an iMac. It's been a few months and so far, okay. Thanks to all who gave advice.

Reactions: Boyd01

Kenickie

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2019
@Fishrrman,

I certainly agree that macOS is likely to drop support for 2014 computers sooner than 2018 computers. However, Apple sold the 2014 as part of its regular inventory until three months ago. I do not see macOS failing to support it anytime soon, and in particular I don’t see an issue on the horizon for 2014 minis with 8GB or 16GB of RAM and at least 128GB of solid state drive, which includes the Fusion Drive version.

I think that 2014 vs 2018 is about computing needs, specs, condition and price. My 2014 meets all of my computing needs except for graphics-intensive work and games, where I use a 2018 with an external graphics card. At the right price, and with the right specs (one needs to purchase knowing that the RAM is not upgradeable), I think that the 2014 is a very attractive computer.

I know: old thread, and the OP has gone iMac. But to help people who keep hardware long time--and those who advise them:

a few months ago, i would have agreed with the statement "I do not see macOS failing to support it anytime soon." I made a similar judgment and bought Metal-compatible GPUs for both my cheese-grater Mac Pro's....which were newer than the machine the OP is now being forced to replace. My credit card had barely cooled off when we learned that Catalina won't support those machines.

Similarly, I have a few really nice Firewire drives that weren't useful for long because faster, better ports came along. I'm not whining about the gifts of advancing; I'm grateful. But the useful life of old hardware seems to be dropping.

So I'd say: any time you can spend relatively little and move a whole generation forward on something (2014 to 2018, Thunderbolt 2 to 3, etc), you should do so.

FWIW

Reactions: sigmadog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.