Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Hello all,

For general web browsing/email, video streaming i.e Netflix, NFL+, MLB.tv, etc., and html coding/web development side hustle, portability is nice but not a major need; which MacBook would you get Air or Pro; and with what specs i.e. screen size, M1-M3, GPU, RAM, storage, etc…?

My max budget is around $1.5K.

TBH: My last MBP was a late 2011 17”, but since I like to use my 65” tv as an external display, even 13” M1 MBAs for <$1K are looking appealing, at this point. 😉

I appreciate your feedback!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
If you need it now I would get an M1 air. Upgrade ram to 16gb if you multitask a lot and get storage as needed. Otherwise I would wait until march and get the M2 presumably at the same price the M1 Is now.

If you don’t need portability at all I would get a Mac mini and hook that up to your tv.

Reactions: b2387692

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
If I’m going to wait until spring, I’m leaning towards the 15” MacBook Air, which I believe would be an M3 release at that point.

Actually, I currently do have my 2011 Mini hooked up to the tv, but I believe it finally died. I’ve revived it once, when it wasn’t getting past white screen, but now nothing displays at all when I try start it. 😑

TBH, since both my WiFi & Ethernet don’t seem to work on my “smart” 65” LG tv, I’m looking at just getting a RoKu stick to get my streaming channels and either ditching or attempting to fix the Mini, so a laptop with a decent display size is probably my priority. That said, with my budget that probably means either an M2 14” MBP or waiting for the M3 15” MBA .

After doing a bit of research, I agree with the your 16GB of RAM suggestion; and feel I should probably go with at least 512TB SSD…Not clear on the whole “core” CPU/GPU stuff though. 😳

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
After doing a bit of research, I agree with the your 16GB of RAM suggestion; and feel I should probably go with at least 512TB SSD…Not clear on the whole “core” CPU/GPU stuff though. 😳
None of the use cases you initially listed would really benefit from more gpu cores at least. In general I would also say your use would probably benefit more from faster cores than more cores, so you would probably see more benefit going for M3 vs going for a prior generation Pro chip. More cores only speed up parallel processing. That may be parallelized within an app or across app instances.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.