Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which MacBook?

• Total voters

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
I currently have a 13" M1 MacBook Pro 8GB 256GB. My parents are still using a 2015 MacBook Air that I passed down to them almost 6 years ago. It's become very slow and I've been itching for a new Mac, so I'm planning on upgrading my Mac and giving them my M1 machine.

I really only use my Mac for web browsing and email, at least at the moment since I have a work supplied Windows laptop (which I hate LOL), but I want to be future proofed with 16GB RAM and a larger SSD.

I've been looking at some eBay Refurb (excellent condition) M1 Pro devices, 14" run about $1,200 and 16" run about $1,300. I do trust buying from a reputable eBay seller but still have some concerns of course, with them being a few years old at this point.

But... an M2 Pro 14" is $1,599 from Apple and a brand new M3 Pro can be had for as low as $1,799-1,850.

Which MacBook would you choose? Even with all of them being overkill for my needs.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I really only use my Mac for web browsing and email, at least at the moment since I have a work supplied Windows laptop (which I hate LOL), but I want to be future proofed with 16GB RAM and a larger SSD.

I've been looking at some eBay Refurb (excellent condition) M1 Pro devices, 14" run about $1,200 and 16" run about $1,300. I do trust buying from a reputable eBay seller but still have some concerns of course, with them being a few years old at this point.

Future proofing is a fool's errand, but since your use case is light, any of your choices are perfectly good options and should work just fine for a long time. I'd go for the 16" M1 or the 14" M2. If you want a larger screen, do the M1. If you don't care about the screen size, get the M2 refurb.

Another option would be a refurbished 15" M2 Air from Apple. There are various ones at your price points available right now. You don't need a MBP to do email and Web browsing.

Reactions: Abomin and frosty18

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
It depends on the use for this MacBook. If it's one that will constantly travel, I would consider the 14 version. If you will occasionally travel and use this mainly in the house go with the 16 pro. You can put two full size word documents on a 16 pro. Also remember the screen on the pros is on a whole different level from the MacBook Air.

Reactions: frosty18

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
It depends on the use for this MacBook. If it's one that will constantly travel, I would consider the 14 version. If you will occasionally travel and use this mainly in the house go with the 16 pro. You can put two full size word documents on a 16 pro. Also remember the screen on the pros is on a whole different level from the MacBook Air.
I mainly keep it at home and use it around the house, it would come with me on vacations and the like. The screen is actually one of the main reasons I decided against the Air 15", I love ProMotion and am very spoiled with it on my iPhone and iPad Pro. $1,300 seems like such a great deal for the 16" so I'm really leaning towards that! Thanks

Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I mainly keep it at home and use it around the house, it would come with me on vacations and the like. The screen is actually one of the main reasons I decided against the Air 15", I love ProMotion and am very spoiled with it on my iPhone and iPad Pro. $1,300 seems like such a great deal for the 16" so I'm really leaning towards that! Thanks

I'd definitely go with the 16" M1 Pro then. I hear ya on the screen. The Airs are getting so powerful that I'm tempted to switch to an Air to save a bit of weight when it's time for me to upgrade my current M1 MBP. The thing stopping me from entertaining the idea more is the screen.

I spend a lot of time on my screen and one thing I've learned is that it's worth it to spend on the highest quality screen you can afford because it's just easier on your eyes. I'd likely be fine with an Air's screen. It's still Retina quality after all, but I can definitely say I could never make a standard res machine my daily driver ever again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.