Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
I want to buy computer for my study. The study, involving creating the cartoon, and lot of reading journal and writing dissertation. I am looking 2015 version for its magnetic magsafe adapter. However, I am concerned with its SSD lifetime (it has been around 4 years). Or, would you recommend getting 13" MBP 2017 or 2018? is there any defect or bugs in 2017 version? How about the butterfly keyboard?

I would prefer 2017 for its better price, but if keyboard in 2018 is much better than 2017, then I might consider 2018 version.

Another option is to have iMac 27" 2017 - which offered by my sister for very cheap price. I don't really need to bring this new computer to the campus, as I can borrow my wife Macbook Air, beside my study is mostly literature study (reading and writing) rather than classroom session.

Thank you all in advance!

PVDHell

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2018
PVD
I want to buy computer for my study. The study, involving creating the cartoon, and lot of reading journal and writing dissertation. I am looking 2015 version for its magnetic magsafe adapter. However, I am concerned with its SSD lifetime (it has been around 4 years). Or, would you recommend getting 13" MBP 2017 or 2018? is there any defect or bugs in 2017 version? How about the butterfly keyboard?

I would prefer 2017 for its better price, but if keyboard in 2018 is much better than 2017, then I might consider 2018 version.

Another option is to have iMac 27" 2017 - which offered by my sister for very cheap price. I don't really need to bring this new computer to the campus, as I can borrow my wife Macbook Air, beside my study is mostly literature study (reading and writing) rather than classroom session.

Thank you all in advance!

If you’re just reading and writing, I’d get a regular MacBook or a MacBook Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.