Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wcmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
I am looking at 2 NEW previous generation macbooks. Both Brand New

MacBook 13.3" Core 2 Duo Black 2.16 GHz -
2 GB memory (180 gig HD)
DVD/CD burner-8 Superdrive
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64 MB of
DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory

or

MacBook 13.3" Core 2 Duo White 2.2 GHz -
2 GB memory (120 Gig HD)
DVD/CD burner-8X Superdrive
Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144 MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory

the 2.2 White is $100 more than the 2.16 Black.

I am told there isn't much difference but I would like your opinon.

Thanks.
WCMac

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
If you want looks and a larger hd, buy the black.

If you want to future-proof yourself (up to 4 Gigs and X3100), don't mind less hard drive space, buy the white.

I personally got the white, in black... :D

Sage Harupyuia

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
its purely your own preference.

some people will pay the extra for the black matte coat because its considered very unusual for a Mac to be black/good looking/different/not easily stained compared to the White Macbook.

while there are the cost conscious type who feel that paying the extra money for a black coat and a marginal increase in hdd space is not justifiable.

In the end, it's your call. There are no performance differences between the Blackbook and the Whitebook.

(OT: i always purchase the cheapest, low-end base model because its good enough for me. Im stingy :rolleyes: )

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Personally, I would go for the white 2.2GHz model. My reason is, if the 120GB hard drive proves to be too small later on, it's easy and relatively cheap to upgrade. However, the X3100 or GMA 950 are there forever. If the GMA 950 proves to be too lethargic, it's not something that you can upgrade.

RSNL

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
I also had the same dilema, but I went with the blackbook because I really wanted a black macbook. Even with the though 4 Gigs and X3100 in the white..I asked myself will I really notice and need the difference btwn the two? So basically the question is will you really need the speed difference and will you be happy with the white model?

So i went with the black because in the long run i probably will not use what the Gigs and X3100, but will enjoy the look of my blackbook:D
Plus having a aluminum imac helped with my decision too..

wcmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
So, i can only assume that the difference between 2.16 and 2.2 is minimal. This will be used for college so homework, internet surfing, instant messaging, music, pictures, etc. will be mostly what it is used for. Possibly some other programs but I can't imagine my daughter needing many extras.

I guess i can ask about the 2.2 black then all my concerns will be settled. Just not sure if they are still available.

Does the black matte show less smudging than the shiny white? I always thought black was hard to keep clean but maybe that is why they made it matte.

I read that the 2.2 has some sort of Santa Rosa processor... (similar to what the macbook pros use). This only confuses me more.....I can get an awesome deal on either one (saving $100 ON the black one) and just want to make the right decision.

Thank you all!
WCMac :p

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
So, i can only assume that the difference between 2.16 and 2.2 is minimal. T

Does the black matte show less smudging than the shiny white?

I read that the 2.2 has some sort of Santa Rosa processor...
Thank you all!
WCMac :p

Correct, you would probably not notice any performance diff b/w 2.16 and 2.2.

The 2.16 black can take up to 3gb of RAM and that model debuted last May.
The 2.2 white can take up to 4gb of RAM and that is a Santa Rosa model that came out last November.

Yes, the blackbook users tend to complain less about smudging/dirt and NEW 2.2s are still available though soon will be harder to find. You can always find a refurb at Apple Store (apple.com). Matter of fact, they have some really sweet deals going there. Check early in the morning, like 6am CT, some days they have better selection than others. These are just like new machines and come with full 1-yr warranty and you can also buy AppleCare (3-yr wty) for them. Some people say some of these refurbs seem to be brand spankin' new machines, period.

http://www.pbcentral.com is a good place to look at prices, look in the left nav under 13" MacBooks; also check site sponsors here and click through from here if you can b/c they make this forum possible!

Yes, the Fall 2007 models are all Santa Rosa or simply SR. Yes, they are the ones with the 3100 graphics chip. Complete specs on all MBs and probably more of your questions answered at http://www.everymac.com where you can look up every Mac there ever was! Good luck and enjoy.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I have owned the white one and liked it a alot. Speed was fine for every day use. Unless you really really really want black, I would recommend the white.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
For me, it comes down to the OS. If you want the option of running Tiger or Leopard, get the black. If you don't care about Tiger and are fine with Leopard only, get the white.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Go with the Black one... looks sick and is a bit cheaper -- I don't see the gain in getting the white one, not much of a tech. difference.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
For me, it comes down to the OS. If you want the option of running Tiger or Leopard, get the black. If you don't care about Tiger and are fine with Leopard only, get the white.

I think what heatmiser points out here should be given some real consideration on your part, cause if ya get the other one and decide you want leopard you will be out of luck.

Until reading this I was unaware that one could not run leopard on the 2.16 Ghz macbooks! Wow! I would think it would be plenty fast enough to do so.
Bu eh, that's just me and my limited knowledge on macbooks. Just got mine a week ago.

I had no problem updated my 1st gen intel core duo iMac to leopard. That just don't seem right. Wonder what apple was thinking? :confused:

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I think what heatmiser points out here should be given some real consideration on your part, cause if ya get the other one and decide you want leopard you will be out of luck.

Until reading this I was unaware that one could not run leopard on the 2.16 Ghz macbooks! Wow! I would think it would be plenty fast enough to do so.
Bu eh, that's just me and my limited knowledge on macbooks. Just got mine a week ago.

I had no problem updated my 1st gen intel core duo iMac to leopard. That just don't seem right. Wonder what apple was thinking? :confused:

Whoa--no, you can run both Tiger and Leopard on the 2.16 Macbook. You can run both on any pre-Santa Rosa Macbook, but SR onwards can only run Leopard. :cool:

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Whoa--no, you can run both Tiger and Leopard on the 2.16 Macbook. You can run both on any pre-Santa Rosa Macbook, but SR onwards can only run Leopard. :cool:

Thanks for the clarification. Yet you still taught me something, as I did'nt realize the SR chips would not run Tiger! Thanks for the info and have a good one! ;)

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Go for the white one. I'd rather pay for power than for looks. The difference is pretty signifigant and the ability to go all the way to 8GB of RAM can help in the future, especially since this computer will need to be running for four years at college. If she hasn't gone to college yet, wait until she actually goes. Then AppleCare will last longer, and if there's a new revision, the refurb specs and prices will improve.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
white 2.2. why?

because it has a better graphics processor, expandable up to 4gb of RAM, better cooling and venting (i know that because ive compared a 2.2 with a 2.16, venting holes on 2.2 are larger), faster processor, and as for HD, you can upgrade that yourself. otherwise, the other decision is white vs black, but i dont think you care.

wcmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Well, i guess it was worth the time I took to figure out which macbook i wanted.

As it turns out, the computer store will sell me the blackbook 2.2 with 2 gig of memory (Brand New Macbook) for about 860ish. I was going to hold out until June when I am giving this as a gift, but at this price, i think it is worth getting it now and putting it away. So what if i lose 3 months off of my Apple Care.

They were going to sell me the white 2.2 for $859 or the black 2.16 for $759 but now will sell me the 2.2 black 859... got that? I don't think i can turn my nose up at that....

What do ya'll think of that?

Now I want one for me too :rolleyes:

wcmac

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Well, i guess it was worth the time I took to figure out which macbook i wanted.

As it turns out, the computer store will sell me the blackbook 2.2 with 2 gig of memory (Brand New Macbook) for about 860ish. I was going to hold out until June when I am giving this as a gift, but at this price, i think it is worth getting it now and putting it away. So what if i lose 3 months off of my Apple Care.

They were going to sell me the white 2.2 for $859 or the black 2.16 for $759 but now will sell me the 2.2 black 859... got that? I don't think i can turn my nose up at that....

What do ya'll think of that?

Now I want one for me too :rolleyes:

wcmac

A NEW 2.2 Black for $859? The refurbs at Apple went for $1049.

What "truck" did they "fall" from? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.