Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danteiskool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2022
To keep it short, I'm currently using a 2020 Air and I'm tired of always hearing the fan and it unexpectedly cutting off as the fan gets louder. I mostly use my Mac for watching movies/shows, reading books/comics/manga and watching videos. I use Safari and Firefox.

At the moment I'm choosing between a 15 inch 2019 Pro and a 16 inch 2019 pro. I don't know anything about the internal mechanics of MacBooks I just need something that can manage me doing these leisure tasks. Sometimes I multitask so that's often when I hear the fan intensifying on my air.

Which would be the better purchase for what I'm looking for?

Please help

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I would recommend a M2 or M1 MacBook Air. It is night and day different to your current MBA. No fan, great battery life. Much improved screen.

Unless you need to run Windows I would avoid the 2019 MBP, as these are Intel machines and will run hot and you are likely to hear the fans, although not as bad as the 2020 Air. Also Apple is migrating all Macs to Apple Silicon, at some point new versions of Mac OS will only support Apple silicon.

EDIT: Apologies, I have just seen your other post, I see that you need to run a software that does not run on Apple Silicon. Please ignore my suggestion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danteiskool

Danteiskool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2022
I would recommend a M2 or M1 MacBook Air. It is night and day different to your current MBA. No fan, great battery life. Much improved screen.

Unless you need to run Windows I would avoid the 2019 MBP, as these are Intel machines and will run hot and you are likely to hear the fans, although not as bad as the 2020 Air. Also Apple is migrating all Macs to Apple Silicon, at some point new versions of Mac OS will only support Apple silicon.

EDIT: Apologies, I have just seen your other post, I see that you need to run a software that does not run on Apple Silicon. Please ignore my suggestion.
Unfortunately, the new MacBooks are off the table due to the fact that I use Dragon to control my mac. It has to be one of the Intel-based models.

Reactions: Alex Cai

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
To keep it short, I'm currently using a 2020 Air and I'm tired of always hearing the fan and it unexpectedly cutting off as the fan gets louder. I mostly use my Mac for watching movies/shows, reading books/comics/manga and watching videos. I use Safari and Firefox.

At the moment I'm choosing between a 15 inch 2019 Pro and a 16 inch 2019 pro. I don't know anything about the internal mechanics of MacBooks I just need something that can manage me doing these leisure tasks. Sometimes I multitask so that's often when I hear the fan intensifying on my air.

Which would be the better purchase for what I'm looking for?

Please help
I would recommend a Mac with Apple silicon
We were in a similar situation(A quite new intel Mac that sucks) I once owned a Intel Air19, and I changed it with a M2↘︎

But if you must have to use Intel, get a 13" Pro. To keep the temperature down use the app called Turbo Boost Switcher
It disables the Intel Turbo Boost (My Intel Air 1.6Ghz Cpu runs at 2.8Ghz because of turbo boost)

Last edited:

Danteiskool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2022
I would recommend a Mac with Apple silicon
We were in a similar situation(A quite new intel Mac that sucks) I once owned a Intel Air19, and I changed it with a M2↘︎

But if you must have to use Intel, get a 13" Pro. To keep the temperature down use the app called Turbo Boost Switcher
It disables the Intel Turbo Boost (My Intel Air 1.6Ghz Cpu runs at 2.8Ghz because of turbo boost)
Thanks for the response. Another reason I'm upgrading is because I want a larger screen. Does the turbo boost switcher app function the same on a larger MacBook? 15 or 16 inch? Or does it work best on the 13 inch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.