Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Hi,
I am ready to buy a MacBook. However, I am not sure what I really need. The MacBook that I am incline to get is the 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB memory, 120GB hard drive, and Combo drive. It is the cheapest one. Is there really any reason to pay more? If this has already been discussed, please direct me to that conversation. Thanks.
Lucia

n1ght

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
For $200 more, you get:
- 2.4GHz processor (faster, but not noticeable for everyday usage)
- Bigger hard drive (might be useful depending on how much you store)
- A DVD burner (If you make movies, this is useful)
- 2GB of RAM instead of 1 (Big difference for multi-tasking and pretty much anything. 1GB of RAM is skimpy for the price point of the MacBook.)

If any 2 of the above points are useful to you, then I would recommend the middle model. (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 160GB HDD, DVD burner, 2GB of RAM)

TravisReynolds

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Seattle
Here is what I would do in buying a new macbook

-Make it a white MacBook (No need to spend more money to make it black)
-2.1Ghz Version ($200 more for 0.1GHz more? Yeah right)
-Leave memory at stock (you can buy off market memory for up to 5X cheaper)
-Upgrade to the 160GB HD

Your grand total should be at $1,149.99

Alexmo123

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
I think night nailed it with his explanation so i am just agreeing with him. I just bought the white 2.4 MB and love it, works perfectly. For $200 you get a ton of stuff that i highly doubt you will regret. Also just think re sale will be higher as well.

Travis is a little confusing, I assume your looking at either the 2.1 white MB or the 2.4 whit mb. In that case what I think Travis is saying is get the low end version and put in the Ram and HD yourself. I disagree because first you get the 2.4ghz which you can upgrade, and also the superdrive. And why not just have it come pre installed with what you want instead of installing it yourself later

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Here is what I would do in buying a new macbook

-Make it a white MacBook (No need to spend more money to make it black)
-2.1Ghz Version ($200 more for 0.1GHz more? Yeah right)
-Leave memory at stock (you can buy off market memory for up to 5X cheaper)
-Upgrade to the 160GB HD

Your grand total should be at $1,149.99

err, you are completely wrong (if im in the right mind)

upgrading the 2.1ghz to the specs of the 2.4ghz model makes it $1,249, and the 2.4ghz model is $1,299, so $50 dollars more for .3ghz of speed, and a superdrive, making the 2.1, overpriced.

Lucia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Hi,
Thanks for your replies. It does seem that going up to next step for $200 is probably worth it. My next question is the AppleCare Protection Plan for $249 worth even considering? I tend to see those extended warranties as a waste of money. Thanks, Lucia

lwcoffer2

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2007
Hi,
Thanks for your replies. It does seem that going up to next step for $200 is probably worth it. My next question is the AppleCare Protection Plan for $249 worth even considering? I tend to see those extended warranties as a waste of money. Thanks, Lucia

the protection plan is a good investment.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
It's all about the SuperDrive. I don't understand why in this day and age why a DVD burner is not standard. I don't care what anyone says, or what business model Apple uses, DVDs are the best/cheapest media for backups.

You can buy AppleCare any time during your standard 1 year warranty. So don't feel like you have to buy it with the laptop. Do what I did. I got my AppleCare for my 30" Cinema Display and my Mac Pro on eBay for less than $100. Totally unused and unopened. I saved over $250. You can't beat that!

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Hi,
I am ready to buy a MacBook. However, I am not sure what I really need. The MacBook that I am incline to get is the 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB memory, 120GB hard drive, and Combo drive. It is the cheapest one. Is there really any reason to pay more? If this has already been discussed, please direct me to that conversation. Thanks.
Lucia

Lucia, Why not consider a refurb? They are excellant. Example: 2 weeks ago I picked up a blk macbook newer model than the one your looking at for $1049 on the apple store. It has the newer graphics card X3100, a 160 gig HD and it comes with the same warranty as a new one! I can assure you the refurb quality is excellent and i saved almost 1/3 the price of a new black book. Try reading some threads here and you will see many are very happy with the Santa Rosa 2.2 gig refurbs. Not sure why your stuck on an older model. But thought you may want to consider this as another option. Either way, Best wishes in your choice. ;)

Lucia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Lucia, Why not consider a refurb? They are excellant. Example: 2 weeks ago I picked up a blk macbook newer model than the one your looking at for $1049 on the apple store. It has the newer graphics card X3100, a 160 gig HD and it comes with the same warranty as a new one! I can assure you the refurb quality is excellent and i saved almost 1/3 the price of a new black book. Try reading some threads here and you will see many are very happy with the Santa Rosa 2.2 gig refurbs. Not sure why your stuck on an older model. But thought you may want to consider this as another option. Either way, Best wishes in your choice. ;)

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at the refurbs. Lucia

ripplet

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Not sure why your stuck on an older model.

Sorry, just to correct you.

The refurb you bought is 2.2ghz blackbook. That is an older version than the 2.1ghz white macbook the OP is looking at. The 2.1ghz is the newer one.

Maybe you thought that 2.2 > 2.1, thus it's newer?

Now to answer OP, I think you would be set for the 2.4ghz white macbook OR a refurb white macbook. There isn't any real difference between 2.2 and 2.4 unless you do cpu intensive programs. Just like the others have said. Processor won't be upgradable as well as the DVD drive. Better investment IMHO.

Good luck with your decision. Don't let us sway it! :rolleyes:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Lucia,

I would make the case to purchase the black macbook. It essentially is the same as the mid level white option, however with a bigger hard drive and more importantly, it's made of a nicer material. I have dozens of friends with white macbooks and they all suffer the same issue: your computer will constantly become dirty. the white macbooks get dirtier way more than the black macbooks. also, the palm rests tend to fade in color on the white macbooks.

i recommend visiting an apple store or a store in your area that sells macs to see the difference in the casing. also, if you aren't big on spending the extra money, keep in mind amazon currently is selling the newest black macbooks for $1394. that price includes a $100 rebate you must send them after your receive your computer from them. but think about it, a $100 more for the black casing and 90 GB increase in HD? that's a no brainer in my opinion.

lastly, i second a previous members words about apple care. buy it off ebay if you are inclined to purchase it.

Lucia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Hi,
Thanks for the info. I am not trying to be cheap here, just wanting to get good value for the money. I am going to throw in another wrinkle. I want to use this with aperture and photoshop elements for digital photography. I want to buy a big enough Mac, but I don't need it for gaming. Thanks for you replies so far. Lucia

Nichod

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I'd recommend only getting one with a superdrive. Combo just isn't worth it. Especially if you want to be future proof.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Sorry, just to correct you.

The refurb you bought is 2.2ghz blackbook. That is an older version than the 2.1ghz white macbook the OP is looking at. The 2.1ghz is the newer one.

Maybe you thought that 2.2 > 2.1, thus it's newer?

Now to answer OP, I think you would be set for the 2.4ghz white macbook OR a refurb white macbook. There isn't any real difference between 2.2 and 2.4 unless you do cpu intensive programs. Just like the others have said. Processor won't be upgradable as well as the DVD drive. Better investment IMHO.

Good luck with your decision. Don't let us sway it! :rolleyes:

Yep your right! I miss read thinking I saw:
- 2.16GHz, 13.3" White MacBook, 120GB, 1GB RAM. Intel Graphics 950, $1299 which was released on
Tuesday May 15, 2007.

For some reason I just read it as one of the old 2.16 Gig models!

The 2.1 Gig Macbooks are the bottom of the line that they just released with the combo drive and 1 Gig Ram.

I would still HIGHLY recommend the 2.2 Gig refurbs as they are a big bang for the buck and hardly any difference in speed & HD with the new ones. But eh to each their own!--)))

No matter what, Lucia has a ton of options to suit his/her needs! Thanks for the correction though. It did strike me odd when the last revision came out that the low end was 2.1, so easy to confuse that with the old 2.16Gig laptops. ;)

ripplet

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
I am going to throw in another wrinkle. I want to use this with aperture and photoshop elements for digital photography. I want to buy a big enough Mac, but I don't need it for gaming.

The white MacBook (mid-range) with the superdrive will suffice very well. Aperture & Photoshop elements don't scream for a graphics card that the MBP offers. Go for the REFURB white 2.2ghz :apple: MacBook. Great value for money.

In that case don't waste your money buying a black macbook.

+1 (Agrees)

Thanks for the correction though.

Most welcome. :cool:

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Take some advice from an owner of a WhiteMB & BlackBook...

you'll definitely need the MB 2.4 Penryn 160GB-250GB. White is really easy to keep clean, and if you are obsessive about keeping your MB "scratch-free" you'll enjoy the MB experience. I took pride ensuring my White MB looked "immaculate" 24/7, from the "Magic Eraser" to the large bottle of iKlear (it will clean your MB and polish it at the same time). When I upgraded to the BlackBook, the Apple Store Manager said "that MB is super-clean and immaculate!" Made me blush! Make sure you have a nice 500GB external hard drive to "back-up" everything and to keep everything off your MB. It's your choice, but I would recommend the White MB Mid-Level 160GB or 250GB; it's always nice to see at least 100GB FREE! You'll also enjoy the "lower heat temps" and the "lower fan speed" with the MB 2.4 Penryn v. the earlier models. Whatever your choice, welcome to the MB Family! :cool:

Lucia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Hi,

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will buy one soon. Lucia

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
I'd also say get the 2.4ghz one. You get a lot more for a little more money. I burn a ton of dvd's and it's quite helpful to have a superdrive too. Personally, I think all macbooks should have a superdrive nowadays. Anyways good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.