Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Hi guys, my charger just blew out today. Am looking for a replacement but am confused as to which magsafe is the on that's really suitable for my Macbook. In this Apple article, it says it's the 85W L style silver connector (which is the one I had but I bought my Macbook second hand so wouldn't know if this is indeed the correct one)

But some online stores I've found say it's the T style connector instead... like this one:

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Hi guys, my charger just blew out today. Am looking for a replacement but am confused as to which magsafe is the on that's really suitable for my Macbook. In this Apple article, it says it's the 85W L style silver connector (which is the one I had but I bought my Macbook second hand so wouldn't know if this is indeed the correct one)

But some online stores I've found say it's the T style connector instead... like this one:

Hi!
If your Macbook Pro has a DVD/CD slot on the right you need a Magsafe 1 power adapter, 85W.
L or T style are available for this model and both works the same way.

Apple also released a MBP 2012 machine with retina display that uses the Magsafe 2 power adapter, and that could cause confusion since both Mac are from the same year.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Just to clarify -- the 2012 MBPro (with an optical drive) shipped with a T-style originally, and the L-style was released later. I think new-in-the-box was only the T-style. Either will work, as the connector and the power adapter work exactly the same.
You won't find any identication using Magsafe "1". Only the MagSafe 2 will show that difference. And, of course, the MagSafe 2 won't connect to your slightly-older non-retina MBPro.
Finally, if you find yourself with an older MacSafe (1) power adapter, Apple does sell a $10 convertor to allow you to connect that MagSafe adapter to charge a newer Mac with Magsafe 2 connector

JustAnExpat

Suspended
Nov 27, 2019

I would always go by what Apple says, and not a third party store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.