Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
There's a guy on the forums who is selling a rev a with warranty fr 800. Is that worth it

If you don't ever want to watch a video and just use it for word processing, you could get a different computer. Quite honestly, the rev A MBA doesn't deserve the Apple logo nor Mac title. It's the worst Apple Mac in the last three years times ten! It's really that bad. It's not capable of Mac like computing.

Merom CPU overheats... Intel graphics are 1/5 as powerful as Nvidia found in rev B/C MBAs... PATA drive disappoints slowly... RAM is 40% slower... and overall "Mac" experience is horrible. Expect to buy and learn undervolting. Expect video skipping.

I wouldn't pay $400 for the original MBA. It's dead on arrival. It has disappointed since day one. It has given the MBA a reputation as a Mac that cannot even play a video without skipping and freezing. It's known to overheat. It's a disaster. Read thousands of posts complaining about it right here!

People are truly set on "saving money." In the long run, the original MBA will fail you miserably and you will lose all respect for the Mac. It has happened to MANY people I know. I wish people like you would learn from MY and other peoples mistakes. We are all sharing and you won't believe because you want to save $300.

I am done trying here... If you want to piss your money away and avoid all opinions that tell you not to buy an original MBA, it's your money down the toilet. I honestly wouldn't buy a rev A for my four year old daughter. I had to get her a MB because she wanted to play videos and do Flash and the original MB couldn't do either... whatever dude. Enjoy your Flaming Piece of Crap for way too much money at $800! My iPhone 3GS is more capable than the original MBA... getting the hint?

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
If you don't ever want to watch a video and just use it for word processing, you could get a different computer. Quite honestly, the rev A MBA doesn't deserve the Apple logo nor Mac title. It's the worst Apple Mac in the last three years times ten! It's really that bad. It's not capable of Mac like computing.

Merom CPU overheats... Intel graphics are 1/5 as powerful as Nvidia found in rev B/C MBAs... PATA drive disappoints slowly... RAM is 40% slower... and overall "Mac" experience is horrible. Expect to buy and learn undervolting. Expect video skipping.

I wouldn't pay $400 for the original MBA. It's dead on arrival. It has disappointed since day one. It has given the MBA a reputation as a Mac that cannot even play a video without skipping and freezing. It's known to overheat. It's a disaster. Read thousands of posts complaining about it right here!

People are truly set on "saving money." In the long run, the original MBA will fail you miserably and you will lose all respect for the Mac. It has happened to MANY people I know. I wish people like you would learn from MY and other peoples mistakes. We are all sharing and you won't believe because you want to save $300.

I am done trying here... If you want to piss your money away and avoid all opinions that tell you not to buy an original MBA, it's your money down the toilet. I honestly wouldn't buy a rev A for my four year old daughter. I had to get her a MB because she wanted to play videos and do Flash and the original MB couldn't do either... whatever dude. Enjoy your Flaming Piece of Crap for way too much money at $800! My iPhone 3GS is more capable than the original MBA... getting the hint?

I was never ignoring opinions. I'm just trying to get a broad scope of things. I'll probably get a Rev B/C

reptiledude4

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
I used to have a Rev B 1.6 HD. Great machine. Perfect for Hulu Desktop. DO NOT GET A REV A!!! It is a glorified POS. If you want to save money, buy an iBook for $400. You'll save another $400, plus it will be more capable than the Rev A MBA. Trust me. Get a Rev B. BTW, Rev B 1.6 HD Mbas are going for $800-900 on eBay.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
I was never ignoring opinions. I'm just trying to get a broad scope of things. I'll probably get a Rev B/C

I think everyone bases their advise on what they need, which may not be what you do. You've stated in the first post that you'll be using MBA every day at work. This sounds like it's going to be your main computer, and most people here wouldn't be happy with revision A as their primary computer. It may seem ridiculous to you now, seeing as you've got another laptop and are going to keep it from the looks of it, but a lot of people find they don't need another Mac once they start using Air. If you were looking for a Mac to use like a netbook, then you'd probably get different responses. The difference might not be great, but it's noticeable. You'd feel it any time you use your computer. Whether it's worth it depends what you'll be using it for, how often, and how much the experience will influence your work and/or mood.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I think everyone bases their advise on what they need, which may not be what you do. You've stated in the first post that you'll be using MBA every day at work. This sounds like it's going to be your main computer, and most people here wouldn't be happy with revision A as their primary computer. It may seem ridiculous to you now, seeing as you've got another laptop and are going to keep it from the looks of it, but a lot of people find they don't need another Mac once they start using Air. If you were looking for a Mac to use like a netbook, then you'd probably get different responses. The difference might not be great, but it's noticeable. You'd feel it any time you use your computer. Whether it's worth it depends what you'll be using it for, how often, and how much the experience will influence your work and/or mood.

I work as an editor so I go and visit set during the day and would have the Air on me. The MacBook Pro is my home mini editor to my work editing system.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Don't listen to Scottsdale. All his suggestions are Rev B or C with SSD only. Just get whatever your budget allows.

That's not true. I told the OP to not get any original MBA. I didn't say had to be SSD. Why don't you read my posts before making blanket statement. I don't recommend SSD if it's not going to be a primary Mac!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I used to have a Rev B 1.6 HD. Great machine. Perfect for Hulu Desktop. DO NOT GET A REV A!!! It is a glorified POS. If you want to save money, buy an iBook for $400. You'll save another $400, plus it will be more capable than the Rev A MBA. Trust me. Get a Rev B. BTW, Rev B 1.6 HD Mbas are going for $800-900 on eBay.

Thanks for telling the truth. The original isn't worth anything to me and shouldn't be a consideration to MOST people. Unless just using to run Pages as a word processor, a rev A MBA should not be purchased no matter how low the cost because is not reliable for anything more than a text document.

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
I am just recently, deciding to get a MBA for my travel computer. I have a new iMac 24'for my desktop. I have no idea how to tell the difference between rev A, B or C. I know from what has been reported, I want no rev A. The refurbished MBAs in the Apple store are Rev Bs? I like refurbs but there is no way I'd buy a used laptop anytime. :confused:

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
I am just recently, deciding to get a MBA for my travel computer. I have a new iMac 24'for my desktop. I have no idea how to tell the difference between rev A, B or C. I know from what has been reported, I want no rev A. The refurbished MBAs in the Apple store are Rev Bs? I like refurbs but there is no way I'd buy a used laptop anytime. :confused:

The Rev A machines use Intel X3100 graphics, DDR2 memory, have PATA/ZIF hard drives of 80GB (hdd) or 64GB (ssd) and have either a 1.6 GHz or 1.8GHz CPU with 4MB of cache. The Rev B and newer use NVIDIA graphics, DDR3 memory, have SATA/LIF hard drives of 120GB (hdd) or 128GB (ssd), and either have a 1.6 GHz, 1.86GHz or 2.13GHz CPU with 6MB of cache.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
To wrap it up, I found a brand new in box sealed Rev B for 800 and am currently setting it up. Thanks for the help guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.