Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dobiewonkanobie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
I need help on deciding which wifi system to go with. Right now I am looking at the Netgear Orbi and Ubiquiti Amplifi HD.

Wifi in my small house is fine. My goal is to have reliable wifi in my shop and to operate at least one wireless security camera (like the Arlo 2).

My shop is approximately 55' away from my router/airport (passing through 1 exterior wall) and I only get a 1-2 bar signal inside if the door is open.

The location where I want to place the camera is over 100' from the router (with some large trees in between) and 60'+ from the shop.

My intention is to place one of the satellites in the shop above the ceiling joists (ceiling is exposed rafters, walls are cinderblock), with the hope it can reach the camera (signal would pass through the roof)

While I understand the differences in the each system, I'm not savvy enough to know which is best for my situation. Looking for any help or suggestions. Thank you

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
I am using Synology RT2600AC for the main router, and Synology MR2200AC as a wired connected mesh access point. I believe you can add more MR2200 to the stack, and they will work wired or wireless.

The problem with wireless mesh systems is the remote access points need a strong signal to connect to the main router. If it is already weak, just dropping an AP in the shop will just cause frustration. So, getting a wired connection out there is the next best thing.

Powerline adapters like these may do the trick, the AV2000 claim to get up to 2Gbps over your power lines. If the two are plugged into the same circuit, performance tends to be better than if on separate circuit breakers. But, it would still probably be close to 1Gbps crossing circuits in my experience. Of course, these would work with any Mesh setup that allows remote Apps to be connected via ethernet.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
If at all possible, do not mesh/extend but run CAT6 to additional access point(s).

Ubiquiti has some great options in multiple form factors and most/all use POE so you only need to run the CAT6. No power adapter at the AP. 100 feet is not a problem. You need to either plug into a switch that supports (the right kind - check!) POE or else use the injector that comes in the box with the AP (single packs only, not included in multi-packs).

mesh/extend should be reserved for situations where you absolutely can’t run a wire.

i have a single AP-nanoHD for my small apartment. Had I a larger place, I would not hesitate to add more.

FWIW I recently bailed from ASUS to Ubiquiti. I still use my RT-AC88 as an Internet router/firewall/VPN with the (failing) radios shut off while I decide if I want to invest in a hardware security appliance. Eyeing Netgate 3100 (I have a 1gb connection so need the power of the 3100).

The AC-88 has a very decent CPU that does keep up with the GB connection and the new AX-88 is much faster still. It wasn’t willing to drop $300 on another ugly consumer router that is an early release of new WiFi technology.

Last edited:

Dobiewonkanobie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
If running a wire were as simple I would do that, but it's not in my case, which is why I'm looking at wireless.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
If running a wire were as simple I would do that, but it's not in my case, which is why I'm looking at wireless.

two words. Direct burial. (Cable, not an alternative to traditional or cremation!)

otherwise Ubiquiti has great point-point options as well where you would be using directional antennas to make the link. It would require 3 pieces of equipment.

this is outside of the UniFi or Amplifi ranges so may not UI integrate with management console. It’s just a point-point link and looks affordable.

Last edited:

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Powerline adapters. Based on your original description, wireless mesh will be a mess. Again, the AP in the remote location must be able to get a good uplink connection to the router, without that, it becomes an unroutable island.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
two words. Direct burial. (Cable, not an alternative to traditional or cremation!)
I can't resist commenting. I've helped a friend with a problem like the OP's. At the moment we have an ugly suspended ethernet cable running between the buildings because we haven't had time to do it right.

Direct unprotected burial would be the best solution, but . . . wild pigs regularly enter her yard and root around and dig things up. The cable wouldn't last long, or, more specifically, the burial wouldn't last long.

So I have to do what I did for another friend, namely run the cable through PVC pipe and bury the pipe. It's unlikely that a pig will munch on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.