Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Time to upgrade my wireless plan iPhone 5, which is still usable but the camera sucks and it's not water resistant. As I use it more and with various camera control apps from Canon and third parties, and also for the upcoming minimalist genre of smart phone photography, the 7 and the 7 Plus are very attractive. I have some questions, regarding which hopefully users can share some insights:

How much better than previous gens (especially 5) is the camera in the 7?

Is the 7 Plus optically superior to the 7, or is the difference solely the 2X optical zoom?

Are both 7 and 7+ going to work well with the external lens kits that are becoming available?

Finally, inasmuch as September will soon be upon us, would I be well advised to wait and possibly go for the 8? Any ideas as to what the camera specs are for the 8?

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Finally, inasmuch as September will soon be upon us, would I be well advised to wait and possibly go for the 8? Any ideas as to what the camera specs are for the 8?

Nobody knows the specs of the iPhone 8 camera but at this point (in my opinion), it would be very unwise to buy an iPhone 7/7+ without at least seeing what that 8 has to offer. And if the price is worth it to you of course.

Reactions: macmesser

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
The primary camera on the iPhone 7 and 7+ are the same. The secondary camera on the 7+ uses a smaller sensor (essentially crop) and has a 2x equivalent focal length because of the combination of smaller sensor and lens.

The advantage the 7 and 7+ brings is the larger aperture over the previous gen iPhones.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
OP: There was a guy on here a few months ago who posted beautiful pics and, I believe, videos. If he sees this or someone remembers him, he would be a wealth of info on the 7 Plus. A good photographer. Maybe try the Digital Photography Forum.

se95dah

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2014
The improvement between the iPhone 5 and 7 cameras is very significant. The first thing I noticed was the speed of focusing - the 5 was pretty lazy in this regard but the 7 (and actually even the 6) is as quick as any decent point and shoot. The overall image quality of the results is also far superior and will be easily noticeable, especially to a keen photographer.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
The portrait mode alone is a reason to upgrade to the 7 Plus. The photos you can take with depth effect are truly amazing. I dropped my 6S 2 days before my trip to Bali and I didn't want to bring a real camera. I just went and bought the 7 Plus and it has blown me away. Low light isn't that great but the portrait mode, the zoom, it still amazes me. When I show photographer friends some of the pics I took they can't imagine it coming from a phone.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
The Plus series has the advantage over the regular series. So iPhone 7 Plus, but keep it mind in less than 2 months, a new phone with a better camera will come out.

I'll be waiting. I actually ordered the 7 but I sent it back.

Nobody knows the specs of the iPhone 8 camera but at this point (in my opinion), it would be very unwise to buy an iPhone 7/7+ without at least seeing what that 8 has to offer. And if the price is worth it to you of course.

I have made "premature" purchases before. Some new feature could well be compelling and it's certainly worth it to check new features out.

Yes, the new phone will have a better camera.

Will be looking for specs. Sensor? Optics? Both are important.

The primary camera on the iPhone 7 and 7+ are the same. The secondary camera on the 7+ uses a smaller sensor (essentially crop) and has a 2x equivalent focal length because of the combination of smaller sensor and lens.

The advantage the 7 and 7+ brings is the larger aperture over the previous gen iPhones.

Faster aperture might improve low light performance and reduce flash.

OP: There was a guy on here a few months ago who posted beautiful pics and, I believe, videos. If he sees this or someone remembers him, he would be a wealth of info on the 7 Plus. A good photographer. Maybe try the Digital Photography Forum.

Will check it out.

The improvement between the iPhone 5 and 7 cameras is very significant. The first thing I noticed was the speed of focusing - the 5 was pretty lazy in this regard but the 7 (and actually even the 6) is as quick as any decent point and shoot. The overall image quality of the results is also far superior and will be easily noticeable, especially to a keen photographer.

I noticed this about the 5. Frustrating, especially when coupled with the small display.

Thanks for all inputs. I will now be evaluating with a heightened awareness. There is always the possibility of going with an iPad if the camera is better, but I would expect it to be the same. The disadvantage of an iPad is that it wouldn't be with me all the time. The best camera is always the one you have at any given time, as the popular wisdom goes.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Will be looking for specs. Sensor? Optics? Both are important.
Apple doesn't release the specs before announcing the phone, so I'd sit tight and wait. At this point we're closer to the announcement so why not wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.