Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Onnem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2022
How do you easily switch between Apple devices with non Apple earbuds?

I currently own an iPhone, iPad, and Macbook and I until shortly I used Airpods Pro to switch quickly from device to device (take a call on my iPhone, listen to music on my Macbook, attend to a Zoom meeting on my iPad etc etc). This switching worked quite well overall.

I have recently sent my broken Airpods back (warranty refund), and I do not want to buy Apple Airpods again. The problem with my Airpods is: they don't fit well in my ears, they keep falling out. This is unfortunately the case with all Apple earbuds. They fall out of my ears (even tried third party fixing rubbers) spontaneously, when walking, talking etc. I do not want to buy the Apple big headphones (I already have headphones and I consider the Airpod Max to be too expensive).

I have Bose earbuds and Sony Wh-1000xm3 headphones. Great devices and they fit very well. The thing is, that it's nuisance to quickly switch from device to device. If for example my headphones are connected to my iPad, I cannot connect them instantly to my iPhone, because the device is already actively connected. The workaround I use now, is:

1. Disable bluetooth on my iPad, then my headphones get obviously disconnected
  2. Unlock my iphone
  3. Go to control panel on my iPhone
  4. Press and hold bluetooth button, to get into the connectivity control panel of iPhone
  5. Press and hold in this new menu the bluetooth button
  6. Scroll to my paired but not connected headphones to connect them

It's not the end of the world, but I switch device multiple times a day and it is a bit of a nuisance to have to go through 6 steps each time instead of 0. I have considered wired use, but this is not an option, as my devices have different ports (mini jack, usb-c, lightning)

Any thoughts?

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
You could actually try giving Beats earphones a shot. Completely different aesthetics and design language to Apple's core offering, but AFAIK you get most if not all of the seamlessness you're looking for between things.

Since a lot of Beats are designed to be more "sport-focused", it may be easier to find one of those that fits properly in your ears.

Reactions: Onnem

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
I recommend the Beats Fit Pros, uses the H1 chip for seamless switching to all your Apple ecosystem devices, great sound and very secure fit. I also had retention issues with the AirPods Pro, switched to the BFP and I absolutely love them, no regrets. I also have Sony WH-1000XM4 usually paired to my Mac which is easy as click the Bluetooth emblem and select them from the drop down box. However I don't switch between devices with them so don't have your frustration with them.

Reactions: Onnem

Onnem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2022
Thank you all, I've purchased the Beats Powerbeats Pro. Very nice solution, H1 chip. Only downsite is no wireless charging and no USB-c but this is acceptable.

Reactions: Pilot Jones
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.