Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Portavoz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2022
Based on iPad patents in the last several years and the released iPad 10th gen folio keyboard. Which of these 3 designs do you think the 2024 iPad Magic Keyboard will take?

1. Very similar design to current Magic Keyboard except there is a slot for pencil in hinge and there is an extra hinge for iPad Pro to lay flat against keyboard to be used in tablet mode. This is the oldest patent Apple was granted and I think the least likely to be used since it wouldn't allow for a larger trackpad that has been rumored.

2. Design where the keyboard is able to slide away from iPad - this is the most recent patent from summer of 2023. This design does allow for larger trackpad and the keyboard slides out creating more space for larger keyboard and trackpad. This design is more likely than #1 but doesn't allow tablet mode but does fit better with the larger trackpad rumor.

3. The third design option is something similar to the 10th Generation iPad Folio Keyboard. Full sized keyboard and trackpad where keyboard detaches from iPad and a separate backing on iPad has kick stand. This is basically the same design as the Logitech Touch Combo. Not sure apple would pick this one since there isn't anything to differentiate from 10th gen iPad version. Also this design is not floating and requires a lot for space to use and isn't as "lapable".

Whatever design it is we will find out very shortly.

Reactions: arc of the universe

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Based on iPad patents in the last several years and the released iPad 10th gen folio keyboard. Which of these 3 designs do you think the 2024 iPad Magic Keyboard will take?

1. Very similar design to current Magic Keyboard except there is a slot for pencil in hinge and there is an extra hinge for iPad Pro to lay flat against keyboard to be used in tablet mode. This is the oldest patent Apple was granted and I think the least likely to be used since it wouldn't allow for a larger trackpad that has been rumored.

2. Design where the keyboard is able to slide away from iPad - this is the most recent patent from summer of 2023. This design does allow for larger trackpad and the keyboard slides out creating more space for larger keyboard and trackpad. This design is more likely than #1 but doesn't allow tablet mode but does fit better with the larger trackpad rumor.

3. The third design option is something similar to the 10th Generation iPad Folio Keyboard. Full sized keyboard and trackpad where keyboard detaches from iPad and a separate backing on iPad has kick stand. This is basically the same design as the Logitech Touch Combo. Not sure apple would pick this one since there isn't anything to differentiate from 10th gen iPad version. Also this design is not floating and requires a lot for space to use and isn't as "lapable".

Whatever design it is we will find out very shortly.
I mostly like my Logitech Touch Combo. But using it in keyboard mode on my lap is not very comfortable, as the flap thingie is tough to balance and the flap is uncomfortable resting on my legs. I hope Apple comes up with something better, and somehow incudes a function key row, though I think that is doubtful.

My current iPad Pro's Magic Keyboard's trackpad is so small I find it hard to use. So the rumored larger trackpad would be most welcome.

Reactions: bondr006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.