Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nndei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2017
Hello, I am new to the forum.
I own a 15" late 2016 MacBook Pro and I mainly use it for engineering stuff but have the passion of producing music.
I would like to have my little music world contained into a SSD and I was wondering which one to get. I was thinking about using it to boot in macOS 10.12.5, so I would install an operative system on it and all the software and plugins needed for it.
The SSD's I was thinking about are Samsung's T3 and Samsung's EVO.
I would go for the T3 for its usb c thing (no adapters needed for my MP). My main doubt is if the T3 handles the OS worse than the EVO, mainly bc I know one's external and the other's an internal SSD (and don't know if that means differences with OS installs…)
I think price wise the two have comparable prices, the EVO though is cheaper if bought without "kit" (which I don't know what is, nor if it's needed if you get a case, to be installed in it, or just for a desktop) + the money for a UASP case to run it at a fair speed. The T3 is much more compact and elegant of course.

Thank you for you precious advices,

Neri

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
In theory it will make no difference, just buy what you like they will both work exactly the same as far as I can tell. Its just a hard drive in an external enclosure in either case.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I doubt that ANY SSD you buy (bare drive or "ready-to-go in an enclosure") is going to make any noticeable differerance at all.

Just about any one will do the job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.