Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
So I watched the Keynote and iOS13 looks like it will be a good and powerful upgrade for us all, however I am disappointed that one feature all of Apples competitors seem to be adding was still missing.

Computational low light photography AKA Night Sight.

When they got to the camera and photos section I was really excited that they might announce Night Sight but alas nothing.

Apple must surely be developing something as Night Sight is one of the big computational photography advancements that is widely praised, and is one area iPhones are lagging behind at the moment.

The thing that worries me as an owner of an XR that is awesome and I’m not looking to upgrade is that it will be restricted to the 2019 iPhones as a cynical ploy to sell this years phones. Rumour has it this years iPhones are a boring update over the 2018 ones and this is precisely the kind of thing the Apple bean counters will use to flog us another £750-1450 worth of phone.

Hopefully they will do what Google did with the Pixel 3 and porting it back to the Pixel 2 and announce it for the 2019 iPhones and back port it to the 2018 and maybe 2017 iPhones.

As hackers have demonstrated this doesn’t require extra hardware as they’ve been able to port Google’s Night Sight to other devices.

Here is to hoping, but knowing Apple they will likely claim the new iPhone has magic hardware that the older ones lack hence no update.

Second this - I, personally was hoping iOS13 would bring improvements to Smart HDR and also an equivalent to Google's Night Sight into the mix. But I can't say I will be surprised if they either keep it limited to the new iPhone's.

Reactions: Stuey3D

Hauss316

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
So I watched the Keynote and iOS13 looks like it will be a good and powerful upgrade for us all, however I am disappointed that one feature all of Apples competitors seem to be adding was still missing.

Computational low light photography AKA Night Sight.

When they got to the camera and photos section I was really excited that they might announce Night Sight but alas nothing.

Apple must surely be developing something as Night Sight is one of the big computational photography advancements that is widely praised, and is one area iPhones are lagging behind at the moment.

The thing that worries me as an owner of an XR that is awesome and I’m not looking to upgrade is that it will be restricted to the 2019 iPhones as a cynical ploy to sell this years phones. Rumour has it this years iPhones are a boring update over the 2018 ones and this is precisely the kind of thing the Apple bean counters will use to flog us another £750-1450 worth of phone.

Hopefully they will do what Google did with the Pixel 3 and porting it back to the Pixel 2 and announce it for the 2019 iPhones and back port it to the 2018 and maybe 2017 iPhones.

As hackers have demonstrated this doesn’t require extra hardware as they’ve been able to port Google’s Night Sight to other devices.

Here is to hoping, but knowing Apple they will likely claim the new iPhone has magic hardware that the older ones lack hence no update.
That’s exactly what’s going to happen. Night mode only on the 2019 version.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
  • Redesigned home screen. Would love to drag and drop folders/apps anywhere on the screen
  • Call screen as already mentioned
  • Numbers above the letters in the keyboard would be great
  • Custom notifications for different apps(Messages/Messenger/Instagram etc.) would be nice

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Notification badges syncing across Mac/Iphone still not working. If I check an email on my Mac, the notification badge on my iPhone still does not go away until I launch the mail app on my iPhone. It is only an issue with the stock mail app, gmail works the way it should. It is actually maddening.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Other than those already mentioned, the ability to rename Bluetooth devices. At work, we have several Fords that can be assigned to anyone on any given day. My Bluetooth menu just says “Sync” down the line 10 times. If one of the cars goes down, there’s no way of telling which one to delete without connecting to it and by that time, the car is off the lot. This list isn’t even the whole fleet.

1E59B3D2-FC6C-4A85-8A9E-3737BE6651CD.jpeg

peros550

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2018
Can’t believe nobody mentioned , but I would really like to see the ability to change video recording resolution through the camera app.

When shooting in low light , changing from 60 FPS to 30fps (whether 4K or 1080p doesn’t matter ) always helps on getting the shot a bit brighter.

It really pain In the a** to always visit settings app for this little change.

I also wanted to see more Siri languages, there are quite a few European languages which are still not supported.

Overall, happy with the update. I didn’t expect the usb mass storage support. Good addition

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
If you're referring to incoming calls taking up the whole screen while in use, I might get why that could be annoying, but if you're complaining about full screen while locked, that's one of my favorite iPhone features.
No sir., just while the phone is in use. If I’m playing a game, watching a movie or reading something and a call comes in - it takes up the whole screen. That’s frustrating and they should at least let us turn that off if we’d like. Like let us choose it as a banner notification.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
If you're referring to incoming calls taking up the whole screen while in use, I might get why that could be annoying, but if you're complaining about full screen while locked, that's one of my favorite iPhone features.

Its certainly mostly related to while the device is in use. Having a notification option for it similar to others where some type of banner or at least quick dismiss option is available doesn't seem all that strange and would be quite useful to many (while those who don't care for it could have it work the same way that it has been).

No sir., just while the phone is in use. If I’m playing a game, watching a movie or reading something and a call comes in - it takes up the whole screen. That’s frustrating and they should at least let us turn that off if we’d like. Like let us choose it as a banner notification.

I fully support Apple providing options to people, though Apple often provides it one way or the highway.

If given the option of having a notification come up while I'm using the phone, I might consider trying it out, but the ability to have a full screen picture of a person while not in use is a big deal for me. I used to HATE having a small photo of someone back in my old Android days.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Being able to set an iCloud folder to stay downloaded, and sync changes when on a network.

Reactions: dk001

kring

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Connecticut
Non-morphing keyboard, so I can develop muscle memory for typing and lower the massive amounts of typo's it generates and is further worsened by a horrible spell check.

Would be ideal to just have a single keyboard layout on the phone, or way to force a single layout instead of the random shifting keyboards.

Reactions: dk001

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
At home I have 3 diff networks (1 x 2.4ghz and 2 x 5 ghz). I have both 5ghz set to auto join. My apartment is very long so it will switch between those two depending on where I am. I only have the 2.4ghz for my Sonos system. Oddly I can still be on the 5ghz and control my Sonos which is on the 2.4ghz. All 3 networks have separate SSIDs.

They are all on the same network... They are connecting to different wireless access points (be it different physical devices, or different frequencies with different SSIDs) but are all on the same network.

As long as you have the same router it is assigning IP addresses on the same network. You basically have different runways (access points) at the same airport (network) with one air traffic controller (router).

You can split your networks so each group can't communicate with each other, but this would require going out of your way to do this. Default is all on the same network.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This is more of a CarPlay frustration, but the messages app still takes up the entire screen. For example, if I am using navigation and a messages comes through and I want to hear it, the entire messages app takes over the infotainment screen and I can’t see navigation.

Reactions: labtech67

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
That has already been part of iOS for some time.
No it hasn't, and it still isn't. You can disconnect from wifi devices (using the control panel) but you can't turn wifi fully off. For most people, that's pretty much the same thing, but for some (inc. me!) it isn't :)

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
No it hasn't, and it still isn't. You can disconnect from wifi devices (using the control panel) but you can't turn wifi fully off. For most people, that's pretty much the same thing, but for some (inc. me!) it isn't :)

You are mixing "Forget this Network" with disconnecting from the network. These are 2 different things. When you turn the Wifi OFF you are being disconnected from it, but your phone still remembers it, so when you turn it ON, it connects automatically.

Reactions: Strutten
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.