Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Penlocky

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
Hi all, I am debating to buy one of these AV products. I will install AV because I want to scan for windows virus as well so do not put down the argument of "MacOS does not need AV". I am also aware that there are no known MacOS virus out in the wild, only some malware that will be evaded by doing safe web browsing practices. But I won't be doing safe browsing practices hahaha.

1. ClamXAV - download source - their website

2. Bitdefender Virus Scanner Plus - download source - Mac app store (bound to GDPR)

3. Malwarebytes - download source - their website

I have selected these because they are all on demand scanners and not a bloatware of "internet security suite". The Bitdefender option in particular is also in the App Store and potentially operates in a sandboxed principle that the App Store guidelines forces so it could be the least intrusive option.

What are the pros and cons of each of these software and vendors? I am deciding based on:
1. Their running privilege in the OS
2. The type of user/computer data they collect, files they upload to their servers
3. What their detection definition is good at detecting
4. Files/codes they leave behind and alterations they make to the OS/firmware

I read through AV Test and AV Comparatives websites and a lot of articles and forum on MacOS malware so no need to be basic when explaining =).
What are your opinions and experiences?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
ClamXAV.
only this one.
- almost zero code and bits strewn throughout yr operating system
- no data info uploaded to their servers
- all known malware is being detected. virus definitions updated daily

Penlocky

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
ClamXAV.
only this one.
- almost zero code and bits strewn throughout yr operating system
- no data info uploaded to their servers
- all known malware is being detected. virus definitions updated daily

I have read in av-test report that ClamAV engine and databases in particular has a lower detection ratio than many paid AV vendors and Bitdefender. As well as a report from Shadowserver a long time ago.

This is the downside of ClamXav (along with yearly subscription) to Bitdefender. However I recall that Malwarebytes uses different detection engine than most AV vendors, so I am completely noob on Malwarebytes.

jgrove

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
With so many opinions and so many options on the market, I went for one from the App Store, that uses the ClamX database. Its called Antivrius Zap - Virus and Adware, I think it cost ne around 8 UK Pounds.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hi all, I am debating to buy one of these AV products. I will install AV because I want to scan for windows virus as well so do not put down the argument of "MacOS does not need AV". I am also aware that there are no known MacOS virus out in the wild, only some malware that will be evaded by doing safe web browsing practices. But I won't be doing safe browsing practices hahaha.

1. ClamXAV - download source - their website

2. Bitdefender Virus Scanner Plus - download source - Mac app store (bound to GDPR)

3. Malwarebytes - download source - their website

I have selected these because they are all on demand scanners and not a bloatware of "internet security suite". The Bitdefender option in particular is also in the App Store and potentially operates in a sandboxed principle that the App Store guidelines forces so it could be the least intrusive option.

What are the pros and cons of each of these software and vendors? I am deciding based on:
1. Their running privilege in the OS
2. The type of user/computer data they collect, files they upload to their servers
3. What their detection definition is good at detecting
4. Files/codes they leave behind and alterations they make to the OS/firmware

I read through AV Test and AV Comparatives websites and a lot of articles and forum on MacOS malware so no need to be basic when explaining =).
What are your opinions and experiences?

Thank you very much!

Thoroughly confused with the responses so far. There's only one right answer as far as I'm concerned - MalwareBytes for Mac. https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

You have a premium option but you don't need that. You can just keep the free version and manually scan every few weeks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi all, I am debating to buy one of these AV products. I will install AV because I want to scan for windows virus as well
Malwarebytes for Mac will not detect Windows malware. I don’t know about the others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.