Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dorothy Gale

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Hello all !!

I am looking for the most suitable display to run the appliances listed below:
- Mac mini mid 2011 i7 2,7GHz (AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB) so it’s a HDMI model.
- Nintendo Switch.
- harman/kardon Soundsticks III (Bluetooth)

Please disregard what's written below this point and go straight to the 2nd post instead. Thanks.

Lowest allowed specs would be:
- Display size: 27”
- Panel resolution: 2560x1440
- At least 2 HDMI ports, so the user can switch between the Mac and the Nintendo. Sharing one only port between the Mac and the Nintendo is a no go.
- Fast pixel response time.
- An IPS panel would be preferable if that would meet the above requirement. No below par TN displays in any case.

Misc bits:
- Not aimed at color critical work.
- Solid construction that doesn’t over-complicate things.
- Aesthetically pleasing, so it doesn’t look out of place beside a Mac.
- Connecting the SoundSticks to the display thru USB would be mostly preferable, so the display has to include USB ports.

Any suggestion based on actual experience would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Last edited:

Dorothy Gale

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
All right, so I got new directives regarding this purchase.

Instead of getting a computer monitor it would be a wiser choice to get a TV set given that chiefly usage would be that of the Nintendo Switch whereas the Mac mini would replace an iMac 27" as the living-room computer.

Mac mini's HDMI readiness and its smaller footprint justify this move away from the iMac.

So while the priority here is the Nintendo Switch, the end user expects to be able to run the Mac mini thru the display HDMI port with no issues whatsoever.

Once again, thank you four your time.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Yeah, just find a TV you like. As long as it supports 1080p, the Mac Mini will send to it just fine.

I don't know of any TVs that support sending their audio to a USB device, though, so your SoundSticks won't be usable that way. But you should be able to use a 1/8" "headphone plug" style cable to connect the speakers to the output on the TV.

Reactions: Celerondon

Dorothy Gale

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it. So I settled up for a 32" Philips 1080p as I worried a 40" model would be a bit hard on the user's eyesight.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.