Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
I am using Sonoma 14.4.1 by OCLP on my Mac mini (Late 2009), I use Chrome as my default browser, do I have to use Safari in my case? Is Safair faster than Chomre?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
“Faster” to do what? Render specific web pages? Execute JavaScript? There are browser benchmark tests if question is academic.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I avoid Google products, so I use Firefox and Safari. But, to be fair, probably all web developers make sure their code works on Chrome since its market share is so large. So, if you have a problem with a website, switching to Chrome will usually fix it. But, I certainly wouldn't use Chrome full time since Google is such a reprehensible company.

Reactions: calliex

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Chrome might be a better browser overall, if for no other reason than it has proper extensions support, unlike Safari. That said, you might be better off with Firefox, which runs better on older hardware (and also has amazing extension support).

Moncler

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2024
I want to know which one is better in general...
what do you need it for?
For example, I use safari usually, but sometimes I need to read news or other information, and it is in a language I don't know, so I use google chrome because it has a "quick translation" function to the language I need.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Neither, I prefer Firefox. Better privacy than chrome, better compatibility with websites than safari, less of a memory hog as compared to chrome, well maintained, and great compatibility with plug-in.

Reactions: Herbert123

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Yep, Firefox all the way for me as well. Brave is also a nice alternative nowadays. Opera has some interesting features. Chrome I only use for development testing.

Personally I wouldn't touch Safari with a 10-foot pole. And I never do if I can help it.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.