Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbhijitShanbhag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2022
India
Hi, I am new to iOS Development and Programming, and just would use the machine that I'm gonna buy for next 4 Years. (Since I got in college for computer science recently). So just wanted to know which one to choose? I am confused which RAM/CPU will be enough for the next 4 years as I proceed to programming more and more intensively
The Size is also mentioned below, since I don't know whether the 14 Inch would throttle and slow down, as many YouTubers say.
So can some regular programmers let me know which one to choose?
A 32 GB M2 Max 30 Core 16'' MBP
or 64 GB M2 Max 30 Core 14'' MBP?

Last edited:

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
If you are going to be taking the Mac to and from class a lot, I'd actually say go with the 14". I got mine with 32GB of RAM instead of 64GB, and I haven't run into any issues with resource utilization while doing programming, web design, video editing, or photo editing. I have not run into any throttling issues with the 14" either, not even when running a game on it. Some of those YouTubers (MaxTech notably) intentionally ran custom tests they admitted went far above and beyond any rational usage, which has led others to conclude that the intention of those tests was to make the 14" MBP choke.

Reactions: AbhijitShanbhag

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
The difference in portability between the 14" and 16" is greater than the difference in usability between the 14" and 16". I second dmccloud, the 14" is in the better buy.

I use a 16" Macbook Pro, M1, base model, professionally, and it has more than enough horsepower to compile our company's app quickly, as well as flip between Android, iOS, and web development without being RAM constrained.

kpcboopathi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2011
14 inch is far better for portability vs 16'. Also, GPU is no matter for iOS development. So Max is not needed. MBP 14 (M2 or M1) with 32 GB should be more than enough. Should cost less than your budget :) (From IOS developer)

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
32GB M2 Pro 14"

As mentioned above, the GPU in the Max is not useful for programming. Maxing out is rarely a good choice in terms of value. Save your money for a better computer in the future. Holding a computer for 4 years is a relatively long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.