Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

africano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
So my wife had the iPhone 11 - I have one too - Hers finally died after around 3 years….it fell multiple times and eventually screen cracked and matrix style lines…..unusable……

So what do we do? All she says is she likes the size of the 11…..so do we get a new SE or one of the other models?

Any help much appreciated!

I also have an 11, but I think I will keep mine until a new model comes along? I also need a new MacBook so lots of spending….

Thanks!

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
If she likes the size of the 11, go with a 13. The SE is a downgrade in screen real estate and not having night mode for photos.

Reactions: Andeddu

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
So what do we do? All she says is she likes the size of the 11…..so do we get a new SE or one of the other models?

Well, certainly don’t downgrade her to SE. :p

The iPhone 13 is probably the best option today due to the battery life.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I agree with the above...12 or 13. I think it's also worth mentioning that Apple is still selling the 11 too. Something to consider depending on your budget and if you don't care to have the latest and greatest. Plus, she could re-use her old case and screen protector if you have spares left.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The 11 has a flicker free LCD screen. The 13 has a flickering OLED screen.
The high frequency flickering from OLED screens really bothers some people.
If you want to try the 13, just be aware of possible headaches and eye strain. Some people aren’t bothered by it while others get nailed.

My vote:
Buy another 11. It’s a guaranteed success.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have a new iPhone 11 (Christmas gift), the newest SE, a 13 Pro, and I’ve had an iPhone 12. I also have a 12 mini. (Yeah that’s a lot of phones, it’s just how it is).

I am someone who gets migraines so the OLED displays on iPhones often don’t agree with me. Otherwise they’re really good phones with excellent cameras and the iPhone 13 is a good buy if it’s in your price range and your wife isn’t prone to migraines. (Even if she isn’t prone to migraines, sometimes the display still does this to SOME people, so it’s something to look out for while you’re still in the return period).

I love the small light iPhone SE, but I definitely am experiencing the kernel panic problem some people are reporting. So my phone randomly freezes and reboots, sometimes a couple of times a day. I’m waiting for an OS update I hope will fix it. For this reason I can’t recommend the SE 2022 right now.

If your wife was happy with the iPhone 11, and I know I sure am, they’re still selling them and the price is good. The camera on the 11 seems to be a bit better overall than the one on the new SE. I got the SE because I wanted a small phone for easy pocketing during active spring and summer months, otherwise I generally prefer my iPhone 11.

I don’t find the 11 to feel horribly behind the newer phones. Unfortunately with the migraines it causes, I can’t use my 13 Pro at all and will trade it in for something eventually. In good light I actually prefer the photos I take on the 11 because on the 13 Pro they can look overprocessed. I’m talking about just default settings. 13 Pro can shoot in pro raw and it also takes amazing photos with other camera apps.

I don’t own a regular iPhone 13, but I thought the iPhone 12 was good and my 12 mini took great photos and is a fine phone. Both the 12 I briefly had and the 12 mini were sometimes prone to getting very hot. I think the regular 13 does not. Again, if migraines won’t be an issue and the price is right for you, iPhone 13 is a good choice for now.

Then maybe another iPhone 11 as a second choice if things don’t work out with the iPhone 13. That’s probably how I would rank them if it were my purchase.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I think this is a question of (1) what is your budget / how much are you comfortable spending, and (2) what features do you make greatest use of therefore providing some guidance regarding whether or not a new phone with improved features would be of real value. How important is the camera, for example?

And did you find that the previous iPhone 11 had sufficient storage, if not then this is a good time to upgrade regardless of which model you decide to buy.

Purchasing a new iPhone 11 would be the easiest transition and lowest cost. Nothing wrong with that, but you'll have a brand new phone that will immediately be 2 ½ years 'outdated', if that matters to you. You will be able to use the same cases as with the previous iPhone 11, a small benefit.

There are FIVE currently available iPhones with the same 6.1" display size that you've been used to - iPhone 11, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 13, and iPhone 13 Pro. (I highlighted 'display size' because the displays are not identical, the newer models have several improvements in display technology).

My suggestion is that you spend a bit of time looking at the differences between the various models, the link below will give you a starting point, and consider how long you expect to be using the new phone. It sounds to me as if you'd still be using the iPhone 11 if not for the damage, so you're used to keeping a phone for several years. My own approach has always been to get the latest model whenever I'm in this situation, but I like having the latest features and am comfortable with the purchase. The newest iPhone 13 will be ~ $250 more than a iPhone 11 (taking into account that you get more storage in the base configuration). It has a better display, camera, battery, etc. etc. And the newer models are actually a bit lighter than the iPhone 11. Good luck!

Reactions: Andeddu and 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.