Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclunian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Which OS X Yosemite features will be supported on which macs?

(e.g. Will 2010 macs get phone and SMS capabilities or will these require newer (802.11ac wifi-capable or bluetooth 4.0-capable) macs)

I've tried to find specs on the apple site but can't see any... :confused:

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
My guess would be 802.11ac wifi and/or Bluetooth LE. From what I've seen in other threads it looks like SMS may work over Wifi so that feature should work on all macs not to sure about continuity and calling though

Ozid

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
Los Angeles
Which OS X Yosemite features will be supported on which macs?

(e.g. Will 2010 macs get phone and SMS capabilities or will these require newer (802.11ac wifi-capable or bluetooth 4.0-capable) macs)

I've tried to find specs on the apple site but can't see any... :confused:

I can confirm SMS worked on my 2010 Macbook Pro (10.10) while I had iOS 8 on my iPhone.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Mac's that don't have built in WiFi will probably miss out on all iOS sharing features.

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
Has Apple ever limited customer-facing features in OS X to certain Macs? I know certain backend technologies like quartz2D were limited to particular hardware, but not software features AFAIK.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Has Apple ever limited customer-facing features in OS X to certain Macs? I know certain backend technologies like quartz2D were limited to particular hardware, but not software features AFAIK.

Recently I thought you just had to be running the version of iOS that included the feature like 10.6+ for App Store or 10.7+ for iCloud. Not sure about these newer features though since it involves more than just operating system and system specs.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

...and AirDrop
oh, oh ! and PowerNap

:D

Exactly.

What this means is that Apple (usually) includes everything they can unless the hardware literally cannot support it. Airplay? That requires the core I series (i3, i5, i7) wireless display function (known as WiDi on PCs). Powernap? That's a special lower power state the I series can do, but the Core2Duo series doesn't support.

My guesses:

Continuity utilizes iBeacon technology for proximity sensing, which relies on bluetooth 4.0, so my 2009 MBP is unlikely to get it.

I can say confidently though that I believe any model from the mac mini to the mac pro, with all laptops in between, that have an i3, i5, or i7 will get full functionality.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
Powernap? That's a special lower power state the I series can do, but the Core2Duo series doesn't support.

Actually that's not entirely true -- I have a 2010 MacBook Air that supports PowerNap. It was enabled via an official firmware update a few months after the OS was released.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
...and AirDrop
oh, oh ! and PowerNap
Didn't AirDrop work for all Macs with built in WiFi? You can actually enable it to work over a every network interface (ethernet etc.) too, though it requires a defaults command via Terminal.

PowerNap does require hardware so it's not too surprising.

So far some of the iOS 8 integration features seem to require Bluetooth 4.0, which is a bit odd as you'd think they should work over WiFi as well; I mean, a lot of people just disable Bluetooth entirely to save battery (even if it's not quite the hog it used to be), but will more likely have WiFi enabled when at home.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...So far some of the iOS 8 integration features seem to require Bluetooth 4.0.....

Handoff probably requires BT ("When your Mac and iOS devices are near each other") but why would it have to be BT-LE? This wold element many if not most Macs. Did Apple specify BT-LE in the Keynote?

It looks like (and Apple even says) that the other services will be WiFi.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Actually that's not entirely true -- I have a 2010 MacBook Air that supports PowerNap. It was enabled via an official firmware update a few months after the OS was released.

Ah, I guess the 2009 variant was the last that supported it.:eek:

Thanks for the correction!

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Mac's that don't have built in WiFi will probably miss out on all iOS sharing features.

Well, there aren't many Macs with no built in WiFi that can run Yosemite in the first place. Did you mean WiFi ac? That or BT 4LE are likely the key IMHO.

----------

Handoff probably requires BT ("When your Mac and iOS devices are near each other") but why would it have to be BT-LE? This wold element many if not most Macs. Did Apple specify BT-LE in the Keynote?

It looks like (and Apple even says) that the other services will be WiFi.

That would make sense in order to reduce power drain and give both your devices longer battery life while using that feature...

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Well, there aren't many Macs with no built in WiFi that can run Yosemite in the first place. Did you mean WiFi ac? That or BT 4LE are likely the key IMHO...

No, many if not most Mac Pros (3,1-5,1) including mine don't have built in WiFi.;)

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Exactly.

What this means is that Apple (usually) includes everything they can unless the hardware literally cannot support it. Airplay? That requires the core I series (i3, i5, i7) wireless display function (known as WiDi on PCs). Powernap? That's a special lower power state the I series can do, but the Core2Duo series doesn't support.

My guesses:

Continuity utilizes iBeacon technology for proximity sensing, which relies on bluetooth 4.0, so my 2009 MBP is unlikely to get it.

I can say confidently though that I believe any model from the mac mini to the mac pro, with all laptops in between, that have an i3, i5, or i7 will get full functionality.

Not all i-series chips have bluetooth 4.0.

maclunian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Well, there aren't many Macs with no built in WiFi that can run Yosemite in the first place. Did you mean WiFi ac? That or BT 4LE are likely the key IMHO.

----------

That would make sense in order to reduce power drain and give both your devices longer battery life while using that feature...

Does that mean 802.11n macs in 2012 and Early 2013 would be cut off?

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I was not aware of the possibility that certain continuity features may not work on my 2010 MBP. That is a bummer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.