Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt_and_187_like_this

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2015
Desktop:
Stacks are nice, but it is still this huge amount of wasted space. One idea would be to remove the notification center and place widgets on the desktop.

Safari Bookmarks:
Zero change. Ever. Lists and folders like it's the 90s. Apple could take cues from Apps like Pocket. Another idea could be the use of AI for automatically sorting and categorizing bookmarks so you can just add them with one click.

brianmowrey

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
If one were reinventing Desktop from scratch today, I don't think they could do better than the status quo - a two-inch-ish margin of workspace to place transitory content accessible with a gesture/hot-corner, that has a pretty picture on it.

And sure, I'm surprised Apple hasn't given us a category view of Bookmarks already. But I don't wish they would. The utility of algorithmically determined organization is a fantasy. It just plays out with the end-user perpetually guessing where the computer decided X object belonged, and being wrong half the time. Seconds and minute thrown into a garbage can, that no amount of familiarity with the OS will prevent from happening again later. AI content organization is an obstacle, not a tool.

I'll take whatever remnants of power-user-prioritization I can get, even if it's in the form of a clunky bookmarks management UI.

What I'd like from Mac OS:

Better interaction/management with background processes. No, I'm not reinstalling OS every day. However, when I am / have just done so, I want to see what things the OS has put on its background task list, and be able to table/ de-prioritize anything I don't care about, or devote more Awake time to the processes I value.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Safari bookmarks are a funny one. I can count at least 6 different UIs inside Safari that show this plain old data
  • Start Page
  • Sidebar
  • Favourites Bar
  • "Bookmarks" dropdown menu,
  • "Booksmarks > Edit Bookmarks" screen
  • Right-clicking the (+) when hovering over the URL bar
I'm not really complaining though, because the important thing for me is that bookmark syncing between devices has been very solid.

Last edited:

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Better interaction/management with background processes. No, I'm not reinstalling OS every day. However, when I am / have just done so, I want to see what things the OS has put on its background task list, and be able to table/ de-prioritize anything I don't care about, or devote more Awake time to the processes I value.
From the third-party side, LaunchControl is an incredible GUI for doing this. I use it to define my own background jobs as well as monitoring existing ones.

Reactions: brianmowrey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.