Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which platform would you develop on first?

• IOS

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Android

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iMarkypad

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2022
I'm 3 months into learning how to develop apps for mobile devices and I came across an interesting article talking about what platform you should develop mobile apps on first.

It discusses target audiences, flexibility, security, monetisation and concludes on an industry level. If you're a newbie like me, this can help you make your decision on what platform to create your app on first. Personally, I would pick apple because of its security and apple users are more likely to pay for apps.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Personally, I would pick apple because of its security and apple users are more likely to pay for apps.

These are good reasons. One of course only applies if you want to monetise your app in the first place.

Here's my take though; Develop for what you have. It's easier to get started and testing things, doesn't have a cost associated with it for getting the necessary device to run your app. Getting started is more important than worrying about how to get started. There's no bad choice other than not doing it. You learn from it no matter what and the experience carries over

michaelg1234

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2023
I think choosing the platform is completely based on your target audience and app's nature. For a wider user base, start with iOS due to its affluent user base and standardised devices. For faster development and testing, opt for Android. Analyse your goals and resources to decide which platform to develop on first.

iMarkypad

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2022
I think choosing the platform is completely based on your target audience and app's nature. For a wider user base, start with iOS due to its affluent user base and standardised devices. For faster seo services, opt for Android. Analyse your goals and resources to decide which platform to develop on first.
Thank you, Michael; I never quite thought of that. However, since I'm still learning, I have started to develop on iOS due to the standardised devices. I'm still a long way to the end, but I'll be there soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.