Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumfitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
I need to buy a new printer maybe an all in one scanner copier printer, Inkjet? Laserprinter? Has anyone any advice on a good all rounder for printing photos and graphic design work A3 would be nice, or would a Printer only be a better option. I have an Epson Stylus PHOTO 895 and do not get on with it at all. It has to go! :mad:

Marneus

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2005
I picked up the Canon MP760 the other week. Doesn't go up to A3, but prints black & white damn fast, and colour reasonably fast. Scanning is good, as well as the ability to scan slides and negatives. Nifty function to actually print straight from negatives using the LCD display, but generally if i've got a negative, i've got a corresponding print...

Tried printing a few photos on the free photo paper samples but couldn't get a good result for some reason.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
rumfitt said:
I need to buy a new printer maybe an all in one scanner copier printer, Inkjet? Laserprinter? Has anyone any advice on a good all rounder for printing photos and graphic design work A3 would be nice, or would a Printer only be a better option. I have an Epson Stylus PHOTO 895 and do not get on with it at all. It has to go! :mad:

Personally I don't like the all-in-one stuff. :(

I've tried all kinds of printers; Epson, HP, Lexmark, Canon, Brother......can't remember the rest.

I've had excellent results with only two brands; Canon and Epson. The Canon takes the nod for speed, reliability and incredible color. The Epson crowd may beg to differ on that but the fact is, in my opinion, the Canon just works better for me.
There's always the ink cartridge thing too. Epson cartridges have chips in them, are expensive and refilled ones never quite produced the colors that the originals did. It got to be a real hassle and I abandoned Epson alltogether. If the print head fails on the Epson, that requires a trip to their service center and a tech has to replace the head(s). Very expensive.

The Canon uses chroma-color inks that are individually replaceable and don't have "chips" in them. The print heads (depending on the model) have smaller nozzles and more of them and print at speeds you won't believe. The print head is also user replaceable if it should wear out or fail, saving you a trip (and a long wait) to the service center.

I use a Canon i960 6-color and a Canon i9900 8-color. I highly recommend both.

The other problem I found with the Epson, the cartridges and heads would constantly clog on me. One gets tired of that very quickly.

As far as scanners go, without getting into a lot of detail here, I highly recommend the Epson. I haven't found anything out there that scans fast, has a high resolution, reliable and the software is excellent.

Your results and needs may be different from mine and this is based on my needs and my experience. :D

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
All in one, I'm not a fan of this. I'd go with a Canon printer, any Canon printer. I'm using a relatively inexpensive Canon i560. Works great for text and produces some great results printing pictures. Just bought a Canon 500F scanner and this is the "bomb". Very slim, Mac friendly of course and one button copy, scan, PDF and emails. Quick too. Did I mention cheap...~$113 from Amazon. Small footprint when set in it's stand on edge. This thing is so slim and light you could probably make it portable. Stick with Canon. Cheers

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
zagato27 said:
All in one, I'm not a fan of this. I'd go with a Canon printer, any Canon printer. I'm using a relatively inexpensive Canon i560. Works great for text and produces some great results printing pictures. Just bought a Canon 500F scanner and this is the "bomb". Very slim, Mac friendly of course and one button copy, scan, PDF and emails. Quick too. Did I mention cheap...~$113 from Amazon. Small footprint when set in it's stand on edge. This thing is so slim and light you could probably make it portable. Stick with Canon. Cheers

Yeah.. I'd say get a canon. One that's only a printer. I've found that the quality of the printer/fax/email/copier/phone/microwave/tv/blablabla lacks because they tried to shove so much stuff in there.

so, I'd say a Canon printer, (ip3000. I love it! Very VERY easy to refill the cartridges. :) works well with airport express)

Prelude2Tragedy

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
New Jersey
Get a canon, and if you dont absolutely need it right away, wait for a few weeks for the mp800. 9600x2400 print resolution, with 1 picoliter droplets. Thats both the highest resolution in the industry and the smallest ink droplet size out there. Two paper trays, two sided printing, 3.5 inch color LCD, 4x6 photos in 36 seconds. The scan resolution is 2400 dpi and features automatic retouching and the ability to scan slides and negatives. If your doing photos the new Chromalife 100 archival inks will offer over 100 years of protection and also resist fading caused by humidity and gases. Retail price will be $300 for this beast.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
yep, go canon. after years of using epsons because they usually came free with my computers i finally ditched them...man, am i glad. ink in the canon lasts for ages, the printing is almost as nice as my laser printer and the photos look great. i've got the IP4000 and i've seen them as low as $99.00

as was mentioned, they do 2 sided printing and have 2 trays. i keep letter size in one tray and 3X5 photo paper in the other so i rarely have to change out paper.

tre' ( tray) cool...

sorry. :D

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.