Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
It's a little late for this, I know, but I'm trying to work out which printer I should get my wife for x-mas. She's already getting a Panasonic Lumix (5MP version), so I thought a good photo printer to go with it would be nice. So, I've come down to these 3 (needs to be ~$150) but can't decide:

Canon Selphy CP 400: http://tinyurl.com/be9ha
Canon Pixma i6000D: http://tinyurl.com/7d5co
HP Photosmart 8450: http://tinyurl.com/9yspu

Any advice, first hand experience, etc? to share? If you know of another printer in the same price-range do recommend (but not Lexmark - I will never ever buy one of those again).

Thanks!
YOJ

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I would make sure that each one has separate cartridges for all 4 colors (be it CYMK or RGBblack). Nothing is more worthless and annoying that those RGB shared color carts.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Out of the three I'd get the Canon Pixma i6000D. I happen to have the iP6600D and really like the prints as well as the new inks from Canon. She will be plenty happy with that model :D These also have separate ink carts. for cost/waste importance.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I have had very good results from canon products. I have not with HP.

I recently had to get an HP becasue of a screw up by apple and i really hated the thing. I ended up exchanging it with my parents canon they had.

I came home this weekend and proceeded to get everything set up so i could get on wireless internet and print to the HP printer i exchanged them. Well i come to find out that the HP software had to be installed on my laptop (which was not the problem) and it refused to install. It would get about half way through the install and then quit. Had to call HP and they mad me go through and trach about a million different preference files and stuff. Once everything was installed i try to print and nothing happens. I had print sharing and everything turned on and set up correctly. Ended up doing some searching and foudn out that HP does not support printer sharing. Ended up having to go throught the whole process again and find an extra ethernet cable to plug it into the wireless router. Everything finally works but what a pain in the a$$, it would have been much easier to just enable printer sharing and be done with it.

Get the canon, you wont regret it.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
i really like my epson R300, prints on CD's and DVD's too:)
i have always had good luck with epson and pro photographers
use the high end ones alot.

Prelude2Tragedy

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
New Jersey
For around 150 id recommend:

Small Portable Printer - Canon Selphy 810 retails around 150 and can be found cheaper at some places or Canon Selphy 510 for 100. The 810 is an inkjet and has packets of ink and paper which come out to around 29 cents a print. The 510 is a dye-sub printer, prints also cost 28-29 cents a print

Larger Printers - Canon ip6600d retails 200 and has a 25 dollar rebate from Canon. Its a little bit more then you were looking to spend but its 100 percent worth it. Best photo quality from any printer youll find in most retail stores.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
I vote the Canon iP6000D, have one and love it. You might also find the duplex printing and dual paper paths convenient too.

shdwsclan

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2005
Same here, i vote for canon. I only have a IP5200R on my home network but the pictures are very nice. The cartridges may not last for a large stack photos, but the cartridges are extremely cheap. I get mine for about $11 a piece which last for about 110-130 4x6 photos.
For regular printing I recommened and use the Samsung CLP line. I pwersonally own the Samsung CLP-510N which is a color laser printer with duplex(the n model has a built in wired and 802.11 wifi printer server) and they have a $100 which does come back after a couple months.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Thanks for the votes and advice! The 6600 looks tempting. I checked it out because Artful Dodger mentioned it: $179 - 25 (rebate) = $154 at amazon right now. Hmm... and with cheap refills!

I'll keep you posted.

edit:
Always Remember: Option+Shift+K=Apple Logo

I didn't know that!

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
yojitani said:
It's a little late for this, I know, but I'm trying to work out which printer I should get my wife for x-mas. She's already getting a Panasonic Lumix (5MP version), so I thought a good photo printer to go with it would be nice. So, I've come down to these 3 (needs to be ~$150) but can't decide:

Canon Selphy CP 400: http://tinyurl.com/be9ha
Canon Pixma i6000D: http://tinyurl.com/7d5co
HP Photosmart 8450: http://tinyurl.com/9yspu

Any advice, first hand experience, etc? to share? If you know of another printer in the same price-range do recommend (but not Lexmark - I will never ever buy one of those again).

Thanks!
YOJ

I'm an HP guy, so I'd go with the Photosmart 8450. I have the 7450 (which is a couple of notches below the 8450 you are looking at) and it has been a great printer. Does excellent pictures, and I always get comments about them. I had a HP Deskjet 5740 before that it was a great printer as well. I have never used a Canon so I can't really recommend something I have never used before. Also, that HP was on sale for $130 I think. Anyway, I have read many great things about Canon so if you don't look at the HP I would go with the Canon as well.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
For photo printing of 4x6 prints... I'd recommend the Kodak Easyshare 500 dye sublimation printer. It prints beautiful prints at a very nice price. I pay 25 cents per print. The prints are water and fade proof.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Mizzou02RS
Is the Canon ip6600 a good document printer?

Hi, I feel that the i960 (Canon) I had before it gave better text print. I also have a R300 (Epson) that I feel gives a touch better printing with text but it also depends on the paper I've used as well. With better paper the text seems nice and with the cheap paper it tends to not be as crisp as I'd like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.