Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BPG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Hi, Australian Mac user looking to add RAM in my 2.5yr old G4 15i powerbook. My options are:

1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SoDimm at AUD$300
1GB PC2700 SoDimm at AUD$275
1GB PC5300 DDR2 200-pin SO-DIMM Memory at AUD$175

What's the difference? Which should I choose? Should I buy from overseas perhaps?

Thank you..
Ben

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
BPG said:
Hi, Australian Mac user looking to add RAM in my 2.5yr old G4 15i powerbook. My options are:

1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SoDimm at AUD$300
1GB PC2700 SoDimm at AUD$275
1GB PC5300 DDR2 200-pin SO-DIMM Memory at AUD$175

What's the difference? Which should I choose? Should I buy from overseas perhaps?
OK, these RAM are all different. First, you need to clearly identify the model of your Powerbook G4. The screen size is not sufficient.

The Titanium Powerbook G4's were all 15", they ran from 400 MHz to 1 GHz, and they took PC133 SODIMMs

The Aluminum Powerbooks came in 12", 15" and 17" screen sizes, the 15" models ran from 1 GHz to 1.67 GHz. (**Note the overlap of models at the 1 GHz speed!) They all took DDR SODIMMs, although some were specced at PC2100, nowadays PC2700 SODIMMs are used in all of them. Watch out, some of these models are extraordinarily picky about RAM compatibility, and generic RAM like the Kingston ValueRAM series regularly and reliably fails in them.

The last Powerbook G4, the Aluminum 1.67 GHz (**Note the overlap of models at this speed too) with the HD screen (1440 resolution) and the DL Superdrive, takes DDR2 RAM. This is 533 MHz DDR2 SODIMMS (PC2-4200) and is incompatible both with the prior Powerbooks and with the intel based Macs (which require 667 MHz DDR2 SODIMMs)

So:
1) You need to get sorted which Powerbook you actually have
2) You need to locate a reputable supplier who tests and guarantees compatibility with your specific model Mac. I do not recommend going it alone choosing RAM by spec from a discount or PC only supplier, especially at your experience level.
3) A wee tour through "Search" feature of MacRumors will find many threads on RAM compatibility and recommendations.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.