Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pigtailz23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Hello! I just want to be SUPER sure I'm buying the correct RAM.

Memory: 2x8gb installed already 1600mhz

Apple's Directions...

Memory specifications
These iMac models feature Synchronous Dynamic Random-Access Memory (SDRAM) slots on the rear of the computer near the vents with these memory specifications:
Number of memory slots4
Base memory8GB
Maximum memory32GB
Use Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Modules (SO-DIMM) that meet all of these criteria:
  • PC3-12800
  • Unbuffered
  • Nonparity
  • 204-pin
  • 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM

So I have 2x8gb left.
But Amazon is showing 1600 MHz C10 and C9.
Only the C10 is available. Is that ok?

Just don't want to buy the wrong one.
Thank you!

mac.png

memory.png

amazon.png

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
This kit is certified to work with your Mac : https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr3/ct2k8g3s160bm/ct3650258

It has the good SPD table and voltage.

Keep in mind that iMacs are really picky about mixing memory modules from different manufacturers. Mixing your stock RAM with any aftermarket RAM might not work at full speed. It might down clock at 1333 MHz.

Consider upgrading to macOS Catalina 10.15.6 to have the latest security updates for at least the next 2 years.

Last edited:

pigtailz23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
This kit is certified to work with your Mac : https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr3/ct2k8g3s160bm/ct3650258

It has the good SPD table and voltage.

Keep in mind that iMacs are really picky about mixing memory modules from different manufacturers. Mixing your stock RAM with any aftermarket RAM might not work at full speed. It might down clock at 1333 MHz.

Consider upgrading to macOS Catalina 10.15.6 to have the latest security updates for at least the next 2 years.

Thank you so much for your feedback!
I can't upgrade to the Catalina just yet. I have a ton of legacy software to deal with first. Waiting til the last possible second.

My computer has been running super slow at times this past week so, after cleaning out EVERYTHING I could think of, thought I would throw in some RAM to hopefully help.

Do you like the Crucial RAM better than the Vengeance specifically?
The Crucial says '100% compatible' but that could just be marketing.

:)

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
My computer has been running super slow at times this past week so, after cleaning out EVERYTHING I could think of, thought I would throw in some RAM to hopefully help
If you have a Fusion drive this is totally normal.

Do you like the Crucial RAM better than the Vengeance specifically?
The Crucial says '100% compatible' but that could just be marketing.
Crucial comes exclusively with american Micron DRAM chips, the highest quality possible. That’s why I like it. And it’s programmed specifically for iMac. This is not pure marketing. There is a reason behinds this compatibility certification.

can't upgrade to the Catalina just yet. I have a ton of legacy software to deal with first. Waiting til the last possible second.

Weird because these softwares should have been updated since then...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.