Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I have one of those white Apple remotes which I found also works with my 13" mid-2012 MacBook Pro, but not all the time....
I've replaced the battery, but it still fails to work now and then so it might be time to look into a new remote control.

I want to use it to control movies in iTunes (the above remove works fine for this though it would be nice with separate buttons for fast-forward and next movie (and likewise rewind and previous movie) unlike remembering what a long press vs. a short press does etc.
I see that Apple has newer remotes now, but apparently they're only for Apple TV (at least that's what the specs say). Is this correct? Are there other remotes I can use? Is it possible to program a universal remote for controlling the MacBook Pro?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I believe those are infrared. For a universal remote. You’d likely need one which allows you to program the buttons by IR signals from another remote.

Last edited:

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I use a bluetooth Satechi Media button for just that purpose & it works great. (Not sure about the forward to another movie, as I haven't tried that feature, but to control movie playback in general.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
My universal "One-for-all" remote control is infra-red, but not Bluetooth.
Is there any info to be found on which system my Macbook Pro uses? Apple doesn't seem to explain this much.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
The MacBook has both (IR and Bluetooth).
The successor to your white infrared remote is the alu version:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MM4T2AM/A/apple-remote
Dependent on the model of your universal remote, you should be able to program (learn) the Apple IR-codes of your existing remote to it. I recorded the IR-codes to control a Raspberry Pi with Kodi - no problems there regarding any Apple-ecosystem-only worry.
Of course this only makes sense if it is not the MacBook‘s IR receiver which is responsible for your described problems.
A Bluetooth-based remote normally offers quicker response times, especially when fast clicking any buttons.
For my Mac I use a Bluetooth-based Logitech Harmony Hub and remote to control any desired functions, but it’s deprecated by Logitech.
You could check out Remote Buddy which seems to be able to control your Mac with the new Siri Remote (the Apple TV one you mentioned). This solution is Bluetooth based and freely configurable.

Last edited:

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
The MacBook has both (IR and Bluetooth).
The successor to your white infrared remote is the alu version:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MM4T2AM/A/apple-remote

I finally lost that (working sometimes) white Apple remote and need to buy a new one :(
Are you sure the Apple aluminium remote is compatible with my 2012 Macbook Pro? There's no mention of Macs in their "compatibility" section; only Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation). And I haven't found any user manual either.
MM4T2

(image source: Apple store -Apple remote)

Last edited:

parlem

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
I finally lost that (working sometimes) white Apple remote and need to buy a new one :(
Are you sure the Apple aluminium remote is compatible with my 2012 Macbook Pro? There's no mention of Macs in their "compatibility" section; only Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation). And I haven't found any user manual either.
MM4T2

(image source: Apple store -Apple remote)
That remote works fine, most of the time, on my mid-2012 MBP

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Thanks for confirming! Apple sure has kept this a secret, making it seem it only works with Apple TV.
What do you mean by "most of the time"? Is it unreliable or is the battery bad?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Thanks for confirming! Apple sure has kept this a secret, making it seem it only works with Apple TV.
For me, it always works with said remote. The signal is very strong. It even works in large rooms or through a blanket.
Also no problems with a 2011 Mac mini.

Hidden secret: I also bought some IR modules of old MacBook Pros and simply soldered an USB plug/cable to it so I can use said IR-remote with my Mac Pro and newer MacBooks. When plugged in, System Profiler detects it as Apple Infrared receiver and it simply works:
edit: updated pictures. I think I used Apple Part #:922-7195, 922-8355 (MacBook Pro Infrared board)

Attachments

• MacPro.IR.jpg
    MacPro.IR.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Apple.Infrared.USB.Mod.jpg
    Apple.Infrared.USB.Mod.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Reactions: B S Magnet

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
For me, it always works. The signal is very strong. It even works through a blanket.
Also no problems with a 2011 Mac mini.

Sounds promising indeed.

Hidden secret: I also bought some IR modules of old 2012 MacBook Pros and soldered an USB cable to it so I can use the remote with my Mac Pro and newer MacBooks. When plugging the USB cable in, System Profiler detects it as Apple Infrared receiver.
Cool! Have you documented it somewhere with the exact wiring connections etc?

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I've little to add, except how taken aback I was when I had unexpected, limited control of the Gen 1 remote from my G5 iMac. Just a post from May about this working on my 5,3. Initial novelty (surprise) has worn off as it's just not useful enough for me and haven't pursued it any further:

Will be following this post however out of interest and curiosity.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Updated previous post.
Thanks for sharing!
That would be cool to have with my 2010 Mac Pro. As far as I know it doesn't have a built-in IR-receiver (and doesn't respond to or pair with the aluminium remote). Apart from removing one from a Macbook Pro, do you know if those IR-modules are standardized, perhaps something cheaply available on eBay or something?

I've little to add, except how taken aback I was when I had unexpected, limited control of the Gen 1 remote from my G5 iMac.
Yeah, my experience too. It doesn't do much, but I find it very handy when needing to fast-forward/rewind or pause/play a movie which I have in iTunes on my 2012 Macbook Pro (attached to a TV via the Mini-DP port with a MiniDP to HDMI cable).

So, based on arw's previous posting confirming that it works with his Macbook Pro I bought one of those remotes today and can confirm it works great! At first I couldn't get it to work, but after pairing it with the computer (hold down the remote control's MENU and FAST-FORWARD buttons simultaneously for at least 5 seconds until a "chain" icon pops up on the Mac's screen to indicate it's paired with the computer) it worked perfectly.
Oh, I even managed to "transfer" the new remote over to my "One For All 7960" programmable universal remote control. So in case I lose the Apple remote again I can still control the Mac ;)

Getting back to Alpha Cyntauri's statement about the remote control's function being quite limited today, is there anything else you can control on a MacBook Pro apart from what I'm already doing (pause/play, rewind/previous and fast forward/next) within iTunes? I'm on MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra). Perhaps with some added software to make it more useful?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
That would be cool to have with my 2010 Mac Pro. As far as I know it doesn't have a built-in IR-receiver (and doesn't respond to or pair with the aluminium remote). Apart from removing one from a Macbook Pro, do you know if those IR-modules are standardized, perhaps something cheaply available on eBay or something?
- You‘re right, Mac Pros don‘t have built-in IR-receivers.
- With my USB modded receiver, it works perfectly out of the box (even on my 2013 Mac Pro running Big Sur it‘s detected as if it was built-in). I might have set it to “allow all IR remotes without the need of pairing“ or sth like that.
- Every other IR solution needs a driver / additional program. I previously used RemoteBuddy which includes support for several non-Apple IR receivers. The most common one was a Windows Media Center (MCE) compatible IR-receiver.
(…) is there anything else you can control on a MacBook Pro apart from what I'm already doing (pause/play, rewind/previous and fast forward/next) within iTunes?
With the mentioned RemoteBuddy (it was in version 1 at the time) I could add additional functions by freely assigning long-pressing the buttons on the Alu remote. Even Application-specific overlayed menus are possible with RemoteBuddy to rate tracks, switch playlists etc…

Last edited:

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Remote Buddy seems like a nice app, but probably overkill for my use. I have so many complicated apps already that I now tend to look for simple tools that just does something really well than having too many features which takes a lot of time to learn.
If I could just add the ability to move around in iTunes (where I have all my media organized), then select a video, audio book, song or whatever it would make things so much easier.

While searching for simpler (and cheaper/free) alternatives to Remote Buddy I came across "Apple remote alternatives and storage" which mentioned a few apps. Most of them were outdated (working only on very old MacOS/OSX versions -even older than my 10.13 High Sierra, hehe :D ) but Mira was one which works with High Sierra (actually up to 10.14). I don't know if it does what I mentioned above... does anyone know, or have other suggestions for something simple which just allows me to move around and select things in iTunes in addition to what the remote already does?

Regarding the IR-receivers you've used with USB, on the Remote Buddy site there's a page which talks about a small USB IR-transceiver called Flirc USB. I suppose this is something similar to what you've made, in a very compact package. And on Mira's page I found something similar named Manta Mini but doesn't look half as good.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Yeah I originally tried Mira - I even had their USB IR receiver I eventually used with Remote Buddy.
In regard to browsing your music, honestly, I completely switched to Apple‘s free iTunes Remote App for iOS and iPadOS as it is such an improved experience. I still use my iPad 1st gen and iPhone 4 for it.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
@macstatic you know, I wasn't at all aware of that pairing trick (Menu+FastForward) and had literally just dug out the old remote and pointed it at the MBP. Now off course I'll have to search for it again, pair as per your instructions and see if more access is available through it. It is only the Gen1 though sooo...just really curious now :)

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Yeah I originally tried Mira - I even had their USB IR receiver I eventually used with Remote Buddy.
In regard to browsing your music, honestly, I completely switched to Apple‘s free iTunes Remote App for iOS and iPadOS as it is such an improved experience. I still use my iPad 1st gen and iPhone 4 for it.
Interesting! I'll have to check that out.

@macstatic you know, I wasn't at all aware of that pairing trick (Menu+FastForward) and had literally just dug out the old remote and pointed it at the MBP. Now off course I'll have to search for it again, pair as per your instructions and see if more access is available through it. It is only the Gen1 though sooo...just really curious now :)
Cool! Yeah, it's something I hadn't known about until recently either. For some reason Apple markets that remote just for their Apple TV, and even in the instructions that came with it there's no mention of Macs. But I see "Mac" mentioned in some online descriptions in other places you can buy it, and fortunately it does work with Macs.

Come to think of it, perhaps I should have tried to pair that old white remote again and see if that would solve the problem of sometimes failing to work. That is, if I could find it again! Good luck finding yours as well. I'm curious too! :)

parlem

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
Battery life is actually great on this aluminium remote. But the IR connection with my MBP is not super-reliable. It could be my unit, which is old, but it'll only work every time if I'm close. Perhaps a couple of meters, and aiming the remote at the MBP. This has been my experience in recent years, but YMMV.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Come to think of it, perhaps I should have tried to pair that old white remote again and see if that would solve the problem of sometimes failing to work. That is, if I could find it again! Good luck finding yours as well. I'm curious too! :)
Good grief, as suddenly as I had (back then) found it, as quickly it dissolved again. Well on the G5 at least it lived magnetically attached to the iMac's side.

Ok, found it. Re-paired again and it's just as limited as it was. Particular windows have to be on-screen like Music, YT (Browser) to Play/Pause only, no Fast Forward. Music App can skip tracks one at a time.

It's really just Volume that functions reliably and globally on the MBP. :apple:

In light of this, I can now in good conscience lose it again. 😁

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I'm the OP and after having used the remote control for a few months I thought I'd report of an irritating behaviour of the remote control.....

The good thing is that both the new aluminium remote and my "One for all" universal remote works great with my 13" Macbook Pro (mid-2012).
I can't remember if I pointed the Apple remote against the universal remote to read its various codes, or if I looked up the specific brand-name codes, but in any case the universal remote behaves exactly like the Apple aluminium remote now, so in case I lose/misplace one I can reach for the other one :)

Getting back to the irritating problem: I've noticed that sometimes the remotes all of a sudden stop working! When this happens neither of the two remotes work (indicating to me that the problem is unlikely with the remotes but rather the receiving end which is the computer).
I've noticed that it doesn't help to bring the remote(s) closer to the computer, but that rebooting makes everything work again (or was it a simple user-logout and login again?).
Last time it happened I was watching a video from a playlist within iTunes and it worked fine, but after a while (can't remember how long) I needed to rewind but I got no response, so I moved the controls the usual way (using the trackpad) on the computer instead.
So I continued watching the rest of the movie (and didn't need to pause/rewind any more, and actually fogot about the remote control issues), and when the movie was done the next movie in the playlist started playing, and when I pressed the remote's pause button it paused! So the remote control was working again.

So.... is there some sort of sleep function for the remote which could have been activated? And it gets reset when a new item in iTunes starts playing?
Does anyone else recognize the same type of behaviour on their Mac?

BuzzyBumblebee

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2023
I got an MM4T2AM Apple Remote and I can't figure out how to pair it to my MBP mid-2012 laptop. The brochure which came with it said to hold the right and menu buttons for 6 seconds to pair with a TV. I don't have a TV, I wanted to use it to control the volume of my laptop when I'm using iTunes or VLC, and since commenters above said it worked with the laptop I figured I'd give it a try.

(yes I checked, there's a battery, it came with one).

I also notice that there are no volume buttons on the remote. (Solved, the up and down buttons are the volume buttons)

What step am I missing here to set it up?

Edit: The plot thickens: It works on my MBP 9,2 running Monterey, but not on the 9,1 running Mojave. I was trying to pair it with the 9,1 and maybe it accidentally paired to the 9,2, but holding down Menu + Left doesn't seem to unpair it from the 9,2, and no matter what I do it won't pair to the 9,1...

Edit 2: Apparently in my security preferences I had "Disable remote control infrared receiver" checked. Just had to uncheck it (Security & Privacy > search "Remote" ). And they can both be paired at once!

Last edited:
Reactions: macstatic

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Glad you worked it out.
Would you mind reporting back after you've used it for a while: do you also experience the problem I've been having (and posted about in post #21 here) that the remote stops working after a while (just like it goes into sleep mode and there's no way to wake it up again unless you reboot the computer)?
I still haven't figured that issue out.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuzzyBumblebee

BuzzyBumblebee

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2023
Glad you worked it out.
Would you mind reporting back after you've used it for a while: do you also experience the problem I've been having (and posted about in post #21 here) that the remote stops working after a while (just like it goes into sleep mode and there's no way to wake it up again unless you reboot the computer)?
I still haven't figured that issue out.
For sure! Give me maybe a month, I don't have a ton of uses for it and might only use the device intermittently, but one computer rarely gets rebooted while the other is frequently rebooted so that'll provide a good comparison / test env. What version of MacOS are you using?

Reactions: macstatic

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Yes, that should be good for testing it.
I'm currently on 10.14.6 (Mojave), but it's not been long since I upgraded from 10.13.6 (High Sierra) where I've had the problem for ages.

Reactions: BuzzyBumblebee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.