Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which size iPad Pro is better for me?

• 11" iPad Pro

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • 12.9" iPad Pro

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
I'm currently looking to purchase an iPad Pro for note taking. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro 13", horrible keyboard and its performance is unbearable. I'd be trading in my iPad Air 3. I can't decide which size to get for taking notes. The 11" seems very portable yet the 12.9" is the same size as a piece of paper, which seems more natural for note taking.

If anyone has any advice as which would be a better fit for that would be greatly appreciated. My goal is not to entirely replace my MacBook with this because I still require an actual laptop for some school programs.

Jimbo Limbo

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Toronto
When studying past high school, it is very likely that you will be using two apps in side by side mode.

On the 11, the apps switch to iphone mode. On the larger one, they stay in iPad mode.

The 12.9 is the one to get. I recommend that you watch youtubes on how students use the notability app. It is very powerful, and perfect for taking and organizing your notes.

I put my money where my mouth is, and bought a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 1Tb Wifi and Cellular for my kid in post secondary. Kid likes the logitech keyboard/cover, as it closes backwords for notetaking with the Pencil 2, and then opens back up for typing assignments.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I'm currently looking to purchase an iPad Pro for note taking. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro 13", horrible keyboard and its performance is unbearable. I'd be trading in my iPad Air 3. I can't decide which size to get for taking notes. The 11" seems very portable yet the 12.9" is the same size as a piece of paper, which seems more natural for note taking.

If anyone has any advice as which would be a better fit for that would be greatly appreciated. My goal is not to entirely replace my MacBook with this because I still require an actual laptop for some school programs.
I would recommend the 11” iPad Pro. It’s the perfect middle ground.

iDron

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
When studying past high school, it is very likely that you will be using two apps in side by side mode.

On the 11, the apps switch to iphone mode. On the larger one, they stay in iPad mode.

The 12.9 is the one to get. I recommend that you watch youtubes on how students use the notability app. It is very powerful, and perfect for taking and organizing your notes.

I put my money where my mouth is, and bought a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 1Tb Wifi and Cellular for my kid in post secondary. Kid likes the logitech keyboard/cover, as it closes backwords for notetaking with the Pencil 2, and then opens back up for typing assignments.
They don’t switch to iPhone mode in landscape mode.

But in general I agree with the sentiment, that using two windows side by side would be more practical on a bigger screen. However, if you’re not replacing your laptop it might not matter as much. I usually study now with the lecture video or references on my MacBook, and take handwritten notes on my iPad. Most convenient way to deal with it.

vanilla_prison

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2020
Personally, I’d go for the 11”. The size is a fantastic combination of portability and screen size. I use notability on my 10.2” iPad and it doesn’t feel too small even on that. It’s cheaper than the 12.9 so you can load more storage for the same price. MK is cheaper on the smaller one too. And if you use Jump Desktop on either to connect to your MBP, you’ll have a blast with a dual hat device.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Personally, I’d go for the 11”. The size is a fantastic combination of portability and screen size. I use notability on my 10.2” iPad and it doesn’t feel too small even on that. It’s cheaper than the 12.9 so you can load more storage for the same price. MK is cheaper on the smaller one too. And if you use Jump Desktop on either to connect to your MBP, you’ll have a blast with a dual hat device.
Speaking of JumpDesktop, the iOS version is on sale today for $7.99. Great app.

I also recommend the 11” iPad Pro. It is very portable and moire than enough to do what you need to do.

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I love my iPad. It is amazing, however, it can't 100% replace a Mac. Do you also have a Mac? Consider if you want to use it to complement your Mac or as an only device. Will you use it with a keyboard. Personally, I tried the 13" pro but gave it to my wife and got an 11". 13" is amazing, however, it does become too big to carry around or use in the bed to watch or read.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
12.9: bigger screen is better for split view and more comfortable to read, write (pencil or keyboard) and watch streaming lessons or webinar. It’s heavier but is supposed you will do all of this activity on a desk so I don’t think this will be a problem.

Reactions: Precursor

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
11" is too small for college. If portability is an argument, just go with an iPhone lol

12.9" is the size of an A4 paper and is ideal for taking notes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.