Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
I am in the middle of a deal, for selling my 5GB ipod. 100$, that means i could get a 512mb shuffle right off the bat. or wait a month or two and buy a 1GB, then i could have half and half (music---Data) unless anyone has a better deal or a trade, i am going to do this deal...

comments or advice..........anyone...........

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
wnameth said:
I am in the middle of a deal, for selling my 5GB ipod. 100$, that means i could get a 512mb shuffle right off the bat. or wait a month or two and buy a 1GB, then i could have half and half (music---Data) unless anyone has a better deal or a trade, i am going to do this deal...

It all comes down to what you can afford. ;) :)

You are letting go 5GB for 512MB - 1GB flash iPod. :confused:

Wow you have problems. ;) :)

The iPod is a library and the shuffle is a on the spur, to go deal it is by no means a replacement. :)

for music and data I would go with the 1Gig model. :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I just got the 512MB. I'm not sure if the extra 512MB is worth the $50 to you, but, in all honesty, if they'd've had the 1GB is stock, I would have bought it. Still, I could get a 512MB USB flash drive for $50... but it's not the same.

Do I need 1GB? No. But knowing that the battery life would let me play all the contents of my 512MB twice inclines me toward the 1GB. That said, I love, love, love the Shuffle I have.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I have ordered the 1GB version and that is exactly what I plan to do, 512MB for music and the same for data.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
Before i sell my 5GB, for numerous reasons...
I want to know if you can add or change the memory in them, by buying a chip..is this possible?, if so, i wouldn't mine, because i could always upgrade it later...

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
wnameth said:
I want to know if you can add or change the memory in them, by buying a chip..is this possible?, if so, i wouldn't mine, because i could always upgrade it later...

Allow me to sum it up, the Shuffle is sold as is. Meaning that you cannot upgrade the internal components, except maybe the battery.

If you want a new or bigger shuffle down the road you will have to buy a NEW ONE. At this price point I don't think Apple is worried. ;) :)

If you buy a 512 Shuffle now and want a 1Gig shuffle later you have to buy a NEW ONE. :)

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
wnameth said:
Possible? Yes, but certainly not practical.
I wouldn't count on doing something like that, because odds are you'd seriously run the risk of doing some serious damage to your shuffle.

I don't know if either model is a great idea for replacing a full-fledged iPod, but if that's what you're set on doing, then you'll probably want the 1 GB.

I bought a 512 on Friday (and it is really truly excellent), but I'm not giving up my 20 GB 'Pod anytime soon. I got the shuffle for school and the like, but it would drive me nuts if it was my only music player.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
I'm thinking similarly, I don't really want an extra 120 songs but for the cash it seems worthwhile to buy the 1Gb. But would I be tempted to fill up the whole 1Gb just because I could and end up with 120 extra songs that I don't want to listen to as much? But then my iPod mini was supposed to be my go anywhere gym iPod, so maybe I shouldn't get one at all. I can't see how I can use all three iPods.... :rolleyes:

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
wnameth said:

As indicated, you cannot upgrade the shuffle at a later date. That being said, why do you want to upgrade. If you have an operational 5GB iPod, I would stick with that. It seems like you are downgrading. I could see having both. One for going out and mowing the lawn (iPod Shuffle) and one for all other uses (aka sitting at a desk, playing music in the car... obviously the iPod).

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Well, you've posted before that you use your iPod mainly on shuffle mode for a fairly small playlist.

People who think that goign from a 5gb 1G to a Shuffle is trading down are probably the people who don't get why the mini is only $50 less than the 20gb. The 1G Is GIANT compared to the shuffle... if you want something to listen to 8 hours of music and carry with you anywhere you want to go, without having to twiddle with any buttons, etc, then the Shuffle is a step up from the 1G.

Anywho, I still think that the 512mb is a much better deal. The price is great, and I just don't see why you would want 240 songs without a way to navigate them easily... 120 you could find what you want pretty easily still. When are you going to need more than 8 hours of music that you are not going to be able to swing by your computer and swap a few tracks?

iPod Shuffle - Day trips (so 8 hours is plenty)
iPod Mini - weekend or a week long trip (you want to bring lots of stuff in case you get the urge to hear something particular, but don't need your entire library)
iPod 20/40/60gb - for your whole music collection in one place

I guess I just don't see where to 1gb would be more usefull than the 512mb, unless you need a half gig thumb drive as well.

Rob

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
wnameth said:

I'd get the 512MB model simply because that is more music than I could listen to any given day or week. The 5GB iPod is nice, but it's really big by todays standard, and likely you won't ever listen to all the music on it, but just a few of your favorites in a playlist or two. If you have extra funds a 1GB version is fine, but at that point, it becomes hard to go through the songs you want, as a mini would be better in this regard. The 12 hour battery life and skip-free performance cant be beat.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
If you're getting this because the 5GB 1G is too big(physically) just get the 512MB, if you really need more you could get the 1GB, but at that point you might as weel spend the extra $100 and get a mini.

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
I’m going for the 1GB because I’m in the market for a USB thumb drive anyway. So I think I’ll use 128MB for storage and the rest for music (unless I need more data storage).

or wait a month or two and buy a 1GB

By the sounds of the popularity of this, it might be a month or two before you can get your paws on one anyway, so no biggy. Just wait it out for a little bit and be envious of those who got one. I’m waiting until Best Buy gets them in because I got a load of Best Buy gift cards for Christmas (why do people think I love Best Buy?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.