Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which (slightly used) Macbook should I buy to last me thru 4 years of college?

• Total voters

estanciam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Macbook for college and I can't decide between the 2015 Macbook Pro, the 2016 Macbook, or the 2017 Macbook Air. All are listed on ebay in good working condition with the exception of mild scratches/ dents which don't really bother me. All are sold by highly reputable sellers ranging from $600-$680 (most of which offer free shipping!) A little bit of background: I bought a new 2015 Macbook Air 3 years ago which served me very well for the 2 1/2 years I used it except for occasional overheating, apps crashing, and one battery replacement- until it fell and the screen shattered. I made the mistake of not getting it fixed immediately and it worsened to the point where I can only see about half the screen (though the computer is otherwise just as functional as before.) At this point, selling it and upgrading slightly will be the same net cost as getting it fixed. I want to go for an upgrade that will last me the next four years without having too many issues. Ideally it will be able to adapt to each new OS X that comes out without noticeable changes in performance. As a student I imagine I'll mostly be using web browsing, email, and office applications. The most CPU-intensive thing I'll be doing is the occasional movie streaming, photoshop, or GarageBand project, so it's not imperative that I have a super fast processer. I'll also be keeping most of my photos and videos on a different device so I'm fine with a lower storage capacity as well. Thanks for reading all this! Once again, my options are the 2015 Pro, 2016 Macbook, and 2017 Air. Which one will be sure to work the best come 2022? :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd opt for a 2015 MBP, as it has faster components then the MacBook, and a better screen then the MBA. I'd not touch the MBA, given that it doesn't even have a retina screen.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
As far as I remember. A 2017 MBA is essentially a 2015 model. Just higher base specs.

The MBP is the fastest option and plenty light.

The only plus of the MB is being slightly thinner and lighter. Which is insufficient to justify the cost. Given the large performance gap. It’s not as though the MBP is heavy or overly thick.

vanko123

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2018
I’d go for the Pro. They seem to last longer than the Airs or normal MacBooks, so I think spending a little extra on a Pro would be worth it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.