Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
I'm back using my MacBook Air as my main computer now because I'm getting the Blue Screen Of Death on my PC and didn't feel like troubleshooting it right now. Gonna miss American Truck Sim, but I've got an Xbox Series S, so I'll play that until I feel like trying to tackle troubleshooting Windows. lol

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
So… anyone wanting to try out macOS Sonoma and the “wheel-support’?
I wouldn't even consider running it on a production computer but it's sorely tempting to buy the cheapest possible Mac direct from Apple, put the beta on it to see if it's been implemented and then return it for a refund :D

• Haha
Reactions: MacsRgr8

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I wouldn't even consider running it on a production computer but it's sorely tempting to buy the cheapest possible Mac direct from Apple, put the beta on it to see if it's been implemented and then return it for a refund :D
Well, I added a container (partition) and installed macOS Sonoma on it to see what's what.

As expected... my wheel reacted as with Ventura.

• Sad
Reactions: Feek

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I do not understand why Feral cannot launch GRID Legends and add "in-game" support for the wheels as they did with the previous GRIDs / DIRTs etc.?

That page still "boasts" it being teased during WWDC 2022 🙈

BattleFreak

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2022
Hello,

was there a change somewhere? Played ETS2 today and was surprised that I was able to use Ventura 900° for the first time. Force feedback didn't work, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Oh, I use Steam via Crossover.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Hello,

was there a change somewhere? Played ETS2 today and was surprised that I was able to use Ventura 900° for the first time. Force feedback didn't work, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Oh, I use Steam via Crossover.
Does it show under game controllers in System Settings?

BattleFreak

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2022
Sorry for the late reply. I can not say it. hadn't looked for it. in any case, after the restart it no longer worked. Now I've tested it in sonoma and crossover including game porting tools. it didn't work there either. but then had an update at sonoma. after several restarts it was 900° again.

EDIT: I just took the test again. Updated from Sonoma Beta 23A5301h to 23A5312d. The steering wheel was connected the whole time. Has rotated multiple times through the reboots. Steering wheel does not show up under system settings, can only be seen in the USB device tree. Steering wheel in ETS2 works with 900° without FFB.

Last edited:

BattleFreak

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2022
Excuse me for the double post.

I tested the following on Ventura 13.5 and Sonoma 14 Beta 5:

- Mac started
- G29 connected
- Launched ETS2 via Steam or Crossover
- G29 all buttons work, steering only 90° left and right, FFB does not work.
- Game over
- Put Mac to sleep/do not turn off
- wake up from sleep mode, G29 rotates once
- Launched ETS2 via Steam or Crossover
- G29 all buttons work, steering 360°, FFB does not work.

If you want to play without FFB, I wish you every success in this way. ETS2 is great fun again with 360°. We will probably have to wait for FFB.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I'm actually at the stage where I would pay a good few hundred quid for a decent wheel and pedals combo that works properly with macOS rather than one where you allegedly have to jump through all kinds of hoops to make it partly work sometimes.

I'll keep using my old 2017 iMac with Bootcamp for ETS 2 then...
I wish I could - Despite having 300Gb space on my 2017 27" i7 iMac, it won't let me set up a Bootcamp partition (I assume it laughingly thinks the SSD is fragmented).

It should work quite well. But I can't do this and I'd rather not have to go into my little office to play ETS2 and ATS. If Apple had done what they said they were going to do, the wheel would work natively in Ventura.
JU4loILl.png

Last edited:

BattleFreak

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2022
Unfortunately, the days of boot camp are over for me. M1 no longer supports the whole thing. Unfortunately, my MBP 2013 was too weak for this. But for some ETS2 now and then I'm happy with the method for now. Maybe there will be changes in the future or a steering wheel for Mac will appear. Let's wait and see.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I installed the RC of macOS Sonoma and it's a great disappointment that this still hasn't been implemented.

This is with my Logitech wheel connected to my Mac Studio.

wVPHKkM.png

BattleFreak

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2022
Reactions: MacsRgr8

BattleFreak

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2022
Yes, I know that. But it doesn't appear for me under Sonoma 14. I use my G29 on the Mac M1.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Yes, I know that. But it doesn't appear for me under Sonoma 14. I use my G29 on the Mac M1.
It doesn't show on my MacBook Air, I think it only showed for me on my Mac Studio because I had an xbox controller configured. Now I've removed that controller, it doesn't show on the Studio any more, whether I have my Logitech wheel connected or not.

Both computers are running Sonoma.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.