Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Hi Folks,

I am wondering which streaming services can and cannot be subscribed through Apple?

I am looking to cut the cord and while I can manage signing up with each individually, I'd prefer to keep it all through Apple if possible.

Thanks

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I don’t have a list for you, but I can tell you that Britbox and Discovery+ can be subscribed through Apple. I would offer a piece of advice though, based on personal experience subscribing through Amazon. I found that Amazon sometimes scales down the apps on some of their channels (that is what they call these streaming services) so that some functionality and some programming is not available that is available on the streaming service app if you subscribe directly from that service. There wasn’t a lot of stuff missing, but enough to make me notice. I haven’t noticed anything like this when subscribing through Apple, but it is possible they do this as well is some cases. I tend to now subscribe through the streaming service itself for services like Netflix, Hulu, MotorTrend, CuriosityStream, and others. Again, this probably isn’t that big of an issue, and I don’t know if Apple does what Amazon does, but do your research. Also, I tend to get some services on a reduced annual rate during the holidays when they discount them, and that tends to be easier to acquire directly through the service.

Amadeo

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I found that Amazon sometimes scales down the apps on some of their channels (that is what they call these streaming services) so that some functionality and some programming is not available that is available on the streaming service app if you subscribe directly from that service. There wasn’t a lot of stuff missing, but enough to make me notice. I haven’t noticed anything like this when subscribing through Apple, but it is possible they do this as well is some cases.
Unfortunately, that seems to happen with Apple TV Channels as well — which is the feature the OP is talking about here. I had subscribed to EPIX via Apple TV Channels for the sake of uniformity and seamlessness. Unfortunately, after a whole lot of back and forth with Apple, it seemed that The Godfather of Harlem (which is the chief reason I subscribed) was NOT available as a download for offline viewing. It's EPIX's anchor show right now and was seemingly the only show that didn't allow downloading. But if I had have subscribed directly within EPIX, I would have been able to download episodes. So, yeah. The differences aren't overt but they exist.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Unfortunately, that seems to happen with Apple TV Channels as well — which is the feature the OP is talking about here. I had subscribed to EPIX via Apple TV Channels for the sake of uniformity and seamlessness. Unfortunately, after a whole lot of back and forth with Apple, it seemed that The Godfather of Harlem (which is the chief reason I subscribed) was NOT available as a download for offline viewing. It's EPIX's anchor show right now and was seemingly the only show that didn't allow downloading. But if I had have subscribed directly within EPIX, I would have been able to download episodes. So, yeah. The differences aren't overt but they exist.
I suspected that was the case. Good to know. I'll continue to avoid subscribing to channels through Apple or Amazon and subscribe to them directly.

Amazon is notorious for not making all episodes for some series available in their channels. I watched one 4 part mini series a while back only to find out the final episode wasn't available unless to bought or rented it. Since Amazon and Apple are both greedy, I assumed Apple did similar things with their channels. I would rather spend a few more minutes setting up an account with the actual channel owner than get a stripped down version through Amazon or Apple. It simply isn't worth saving a few minutes here and there.

Reactions: shakopeemn

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I did some free trials of subscriptions with AppleTV but cancelled them all before the trial ended. I subscribed to Sling and Discovery+ directly on their websites. In the case of Sling, apparently you can't subscribe from AppleTV. And with Discovery+, I wasn't clear what the differences might be and didn't want to risk the kinds of issues described above.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The majority streaming services you'll be able to subscribe to via Apple (i.e. Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, Peacock, etc.)

For Netflix, you'll have to subscribe directly with them as they pulled the plug on subscriptions directly through Apple (though I'm grandfathered in as I like to keep the majority of my streaming subs via Apple).

Last edited:

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
I suspected that was the case. Good to know. I'll continue to avoid subscribing to channels through Apple or Amazon and subscribe to them directly.

For as much as Apple always hypes their UI, when using their Apple TV app to subscribe to channels it's not a great experience of organizing available content, ie. looking at what's new. The individual providers and their apps, do a surprisingly better job.

Come on Apple! ;)

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
For as much as Apple always hypes their UI, when using their Apple TV app to subscribe to channels it's not a great experience of organizing available content, ie. looking at what's new. The individual providers and their apps, do a surprisingly better job.

Come on Apple! ;)
Yes indeed, and the same is true for Amazon. Personally, I wish Apple would just be the payment service. I wouldn't mind having all the streaming service payments in one location and managed by Apple, but I don't want their watered down versions of the streaming services which they call channels. In other words, I would be happy to let Apple keep track of my streaming subscriptions and be the instrument of payments for them, but only if I got the full service and was able to use the service providers' apps rather than a special ATV app, and be able to access the services through other devices and via the internet.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
In other words, I would be happy to let Apple keep track of my streaming subscriptions and be the instrument of payments for them, but only if I got the full service and was able to use the service providers' apps rather than a special ATV app, and be able to access the services through other devices and via the internet.

You can do that. Many streaming services do allow you to pay through your iTunes Store account, and you will then use the service's app rather than the Channel. For example, Hulu, Showtime and Paramount+. And I'm sure there are others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.