Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kap09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I have my air on a t-mobile post paid plan and also activated the 200mb free data every month.

The issue is the billing cycles on the two plans don't line up. When using their account app, I can see the respective remaining allowances, but the allocation seems inconsistent. My only concern with this is not being able to maximize the plan soonest to expire instead of the later allowance being hit first.

Anyone have any info? Hoping someone has some info here instead of having the ring support considering how bad the whole free data rollout was in the first place.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I thought the post-paid plans were getting the extra MB added to them at no cost?

That was the way I read something when it came out. We took my iPad off of the plan because I wasn't using more than the 200mb anyway so I can't check (I have an iPad 1, so edge isn't easy to use a lot of data!!).

kap09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I thought the post-paid plans were getting the extra MB added to them at no cost?

That was the way I read something when it came out. We took my iPad off of the plan because I wasn't using more than the 200mb anyway so I can't check (I have an iPad 1, so edge isn't easy to use a lot of data!!).

That's partially true. You basically have two plans going at any time. There is the main postpaid plan and then a 200mb "data pass."

I dug into this more and it appears they hit the 200mb pool first and then dip into the postpaid plan after you use up the 200mb. I just wish mine were on the same cycle!

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Here's my observation on pre-paid vs post-paid (which is a misnomer because post-paid is really pre-paid if you look at an invoice)

I originally added an ipad data plan by adding it to my existing voice line (a 'post-paid' plan). Monthly, that's $20 (30-10 discount) + tax for 2.7 GB of data.... Only t-mobile never cuts you off, so your free 200MB is kind of meaningless. In addition, you don't save up unused data, so if you don't use your data, or free data, it's lost.

I've since switched to prepaid - The 30 days of prepaid data is more expensive (flat $30) and you get no overage, but you can control when you buy it, and if you're not using the data plan, you don't pay for it. On top of that - there are no taxes on a transaction (I just paid $30 flat for 2.5 GB). You can chose to buy if you need it or wait (and wifi or hotspot it)

IMO:

If you're a sporadic user of cellular data (meaning away from wifi) - I think the pre-paid plan makes more sense and is a bit less wasteful. I tried to use alll my 200 MB of free data (which is something I'd probably rarely do - I had to stream a tv show and download a 60MB file from dropbox to use it up...), but when I was close to the limit, tmobile sent a notification message to bump up my data. Pretty easy. (That's how I noticed tax was non-existent).

If you're a heavy user of cellular data - get the postpaid.

kap09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
If you cancel your plans with tmobile, do you get reverted back to the free 200mb option?

Don't know. I've had both since I got my Air last month. The iPad data is the only service I have with them as my cell service is on VZW.

If your existing sim stopped working entirely you could just as easily get a new one and activate the 200mb pass.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
If you cancel your plans with tmobile, do you get reverted back to the free 200mb option?

Based on my experience - If you cancel an account, they'll disable the sim. If you ask them to reuse the sim, they'll 'reset' it so you can use it...

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Yes, if you don't refill one month, you still get the 200MB free. T-Mobile was not lying when they said 200MB free.

200MB free will get used first and then your data plan will kick in. If your plan is still in effect when the 200MB gets added on each month, the 200MB will start once your data plan expires for that month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.