Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
So I have an offer to get a free LG G Pad or a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.

Don't know much about either but any recommendations or info will be great.

Thanks!

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Neither tablet has access to Android Lolipop as of now. However flashing a custom ROM with stock lollipop is possible

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Between those two, Gpad. That is if it's the 8.3" gpad.

I had a Tab 4 10.1 (before I finally got my beloved Nexus 7 2013 back) and it is a dog. It's slow, and on Touchwiz. It has a quad core 1.2ghz cpu with a not so good screen resolution. It's not horrible but it's not good either. Returned it.

Quick question, are these the 7" variants of the Gpad and Tab 4 or the 8" models? Because the Gpad 8.3 is way better than the Gpad 7", performance wise, screen wise, everything.

I think if you're being offered free 7" tablets, the tab 4 7" and gpad 7" both have same pixel density and clock speeds. And if it is indeed the 7" models, you may be better off getting the Samsung. I could be wrong but I think the Samsung probably has better development and probably more software roms and kernels you could flash to make the device less bloated and overall smoother.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Neither tablet has access to Android Lolipop as of now. However flashing a custom ROM with stock lollipop is possible

Both seem like pretty terrible tablets. Maybe I can just get it and sell it lol

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Because the offer is only for these 2 tablets. It's from ATT and was a free add on once I installed their UVerse service. I Just need to pick one and was leaning toward the g pad after reviews but above comment scared me

Be careful with that, as you may need to sign up for a 2 year contract with service. I was also offered a tablet from verizon after getting FiOS, but I would have needed to sign up for a data plan for the tablet for 2 years so I declined it.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Be careful with that, as you may need to sign up for a 2 year contract with service. I was also offered a tablet from verizon after getting FiOS, but I would have needed to sign up for a data plan for the tablet for 2 years so I declined it.

This was for their cable service and not a phone and I was sure to ask it didn't tie me to any contract. I only have to keep the service for 30 days which I've already past and planned to keep it for a year at least as I am enjoying.

Good looking out though as I asked the same thing.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Both seem like pretty terrible tablets. Maybe I can just get it and sell it lol

Galaxy tabs out of the box are pretty blah (except for the Note series) but once they're rooted and the Samsung bloatware frozen/deleted they're terrific in my opinion. I have a Gtab Pro 8.4 and it's an amazing device.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Galaxy tabs out of the box are pretty blah (except for the Note series) but once they're rooted and the Samsung bloatware frozen/deleted they're terrific in my opinion. I have a Gtab Pro 8.4 and it's an amazing device.

Yeah I think both Samsung tab and LG tab will be dogs out of the box, and I do think that Samsung probably has more software to get rid of that bloat and definitely some Lollipop based ROMs you could flash. If youre into that.

The Tab Pro 8.4 is an excellent tablet. I had a Nexus 7 2013 and got rid of it for something in the 8" territory. Got the Tab Pro 8.4 and loved it however I never got as far as flashing a custom rom, that probably would have really unleashed that beast. Gave the tab pro to my sister for Xmas and bought another N7 2013. After the Tab Pro I went through a few other tablets that I had returned before ultimately getting my Nexus back.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
This was for their cable service and not a phone and I was sure to ask it didn't tie me to any contract. I only have to keep the service for 30 days which I've already past and planned to keep it for a year at least as I am enjoying.

Good looking out though as I asked the same thing.

OK, that's good. I don't know too much about those tablets, but if its these two:

http://youtu.be/D3VH1lKzMCQ

http://youtu.be/VItBP7Qfct8

Then I would lean towards the lg unless you want multi window.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Wise man say

"Just because a turd is free, does not make it less stinky".

Both of those tablets are only 'alright', if you have used anything remotely better before - the user experience may rile. But yeah taking eaches foibels into consideration and it would still end up pretty even as to which is better between them. Much of a muchness. Jist choose the one you find better looking to you.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010

I have the same with the Samsung install and I think its pretty terrific. I guess if I rooted it and did all the good stuff I would be totally blown away.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Went with the G Pad as I will primarily use it for my son and casual internet browsing on the couch.

Free is free. :)

Thanks everyone

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have the same with the Samsung install and I think its pretty terrific. I guess if I rooted it and did all the good stuff I would be totally blown away.
Performance out of the box is really quite good on the Pro 8.4. (being able to freeze/remove the Samsung bloatware makes excellent performance even better)

The greatest benefit to rooting it IMO is being able to allow multi-window with ANY app, not just the ones that specifically support it.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Neither. Sell it and trade up to the new Galaxy Tab S 2. If you're stuck choosing the screen on the LG is worse IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.