Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I'm after buying a notebook for one of my employees. I have the choice of two. They will for the most part be using it for general office work. I can't decide which to get and both of these seem identical.
Can anybody suggest which they think might be the best option?
  1. https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/...-512GB-SSD-133-Inch/p/MacBookPro132022M2512GB
  2. https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/...AM-512GB-SSD-136-Inch/p/MacBookAir2022M2512GB
Thanks.

Honestly it depends on what the employee will be using the machine for. The MBA will be a fanless model, which is great if quiet operation is a primary concern. However, that also means the system can throttle under heavier workloads since there is only passive cooling in those systems. The MacBook Pro will have cooling fans, although they only kick in as needed. Both systems do have the same CPU, RAM, and storage, so other than the fans/lack of fans the only other notable difference is the MBP having the Touch Bar instead of traditional function keys. The Pro will have a slightly better display than the Air as well.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Honestly it depends on what the employee will be using the machine for. The MBA will be a fanless model, which is great if quiet operation is a primary concern. However, that also means the system can throttle under heavier workloads since there is only passive cooling in those systems. The MacBook Pro will have cooling fans, although they only kick in as needed. Both systems do have the same CPU, RAM, and storage, so other than the fans/lack of fans the only other notable difference is the MBP having the Touch Bar instead of traditional function keys. The Pro will have a slightly better display than the Air as well.
Thanks for that.
I'd say 90% Microsoft Office is the usage. The other 10% I don't really know but it won't be taxing.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Thanks for that.
I'd say 90% Microsoft Office is the usage. The other 10% I don't really know but it won't be taxing.
The Air has a 1080p webcam, as compared with the 720p webcam in the Pro, if that matters at all.

My personal choice would be the Air as it's just got a more updated design and is generally thinner and lighter. Probably better battery life on the Air as well, though it sounds like it might just be used in an office all the time anyway. I'd only consider the Pro if I was going to be doing a bunch of taxing stuff like video editing or something.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
The Air has a 1080p webcam, as compared with the 720p webcam in the Pro, if that matters at all.

My personal choice would be the Air as it's just got a more updated design and is generally thinner and lighter. Probably better battery life on the Air as well, though it sounds like it might just be used in an office all the time anyway. I'd only consider the Pro if I was going to be doing a bunch of taxing stuff like video editing or something.
Was edging that way myself, especially in teh light of MagSafe.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
ive got an air for that exact use case and its perfect.. I travel with work as well I do appreciate the lightness of it as well.

I'm against the M2 pro for the Touch Bar and old design although that doesn't really matter for a work machine..

I'd maybe pick up the M1 which is cheaper think you use Quidco site you can get more off as well.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
ive got an air for that exact use case and its perfect.. I travel with work as well I do appreciate the lightness of it as well.

I'm against the M2 pro for the Touch Bar and old design although that doesn't really matter for a work machine..

I'd maybe pick up the M1 which is cheaper think you use Quidco site you can get more off as well.
Thanks for the input. Never knew about Quidco either.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I’d say a Mac mini plus a studio monitor. No one wants to do 90% office work on a 13” screen. Unless this office person is taking it home or moving around. Still want a monitor though.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
I’d say a Mac mini plus a studio monitor. No one wants to do 90% office work on a 13” screen. Unless this office person is taking it home or moving around. Still want a monitor though.
I like desktops but they already have monitors and go to site quite regular where they need laptops.

Reactions: Andrey84

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Between the two I'd get the Air. Fanless, newer design, better webcam, slightly bigger screen. However if they didn't need 512GB they could get the 15" with 256GB for not much more. The bigger screen may be worth it.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.