Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sype10

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
I can get Absolute Radio to play sometimes.
“Hey Siri play Absolute radio” worked originally but now I have to say “hey Siri play the radio station Absolute Radio”
I have the Absolute Radio app installed on my devices so I’m not sure if the app is required for this to work.

tvOStoday

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2016
London
I use receiver which has siri shortcut support and works great. Means you can also add your own custom streams

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I use receiver which has siri shortcut support and works great. Means you can also add your own custom streams
When you use that, is it running on an iOS device and just sending the output to a HomePod? Or once you set it up with a Siri voice command can it be run on the HomePod ‘natively’?

I ask because we have multiple iOS devices and multiple HomePods so coordinations might become tricky?

tvOStoday

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2016
London
Hi danmart, once siri shortcuts are set up on the app you can call the command on the HomePod and it will connect to the app and airplay over. This may not be what you are looking for if theres multiple iOS devices under multiple iCloud accounts.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Thanks for the reply @tvOStoday. Do you think that I would need to set up different triggers for myself and my wife to avoid tying playback to just one of our iPhones / iPads?

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
“Play Absolute radio” works for me and it appears that it is playing straight off the HomePod, not airplay.

idrewuk

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Can finally ditch sonos. HomePod is my favourite Apple product and this has been a long time coming.

Reactions: AaronM5670

Orinoco3

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Apple says that, in the Fall, HomePod will get 100,000 radio stations from iHeart Radio, TuneIn and Radio.com. Hooray!

As TuneIn radio has all the BBC radio stations, I assume that will include the BBC stations too (the one's I have been looking forward to having most.)

Edward452

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
Kenda,,Cumbria, UK
With this update I'm thinking about buying a homepod - do we know if we will simply be able to say "hey siri play radio 4" it will indeed do that, absolutely no other operations necessary? If so I might buy one now :)

Orinoco3

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
@Edward452, yes that is how it currently works for the few radio stations that are currently available on Homepod.

For example, to play Classic FM, one presently can say "Hey Siri Play Classic FM Radio" and it plays. Simple. It does require to say the right phrase. "Classic FM Radio" works but not "Classic FM" without "Radio".

Edward452

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
Kenda,,Cumbria, UK
Thanks for your reply Orinoco - I guess I’ll have to wait for the update to be sure easy one step access to BBC stations is definitely available. The HP would be in the kitchen and this is an absolute requirement - it will replace a conventional radio and realistically my wife would not be impressed with having to do other than simply, in effect, turn it on! I’m the Apple fan - she just wants to listen to radio 4 :)

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
BBC Radio stations are now available within the music app (via search) as of iOS 13 beta 2. Unfortunately I don't have access to a HomePod or the know magic Siri command

Edit: The following format seems to work on my iPhone “Hey Siri, Listen to radio station BBC radio 1”

Last edited:
Reactions: jonnyb

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
I'll try this on my HomePods when I get home, though I wonder whether they'd need the updated software described in the keynote. They may not, though.

On my Google Home minis, I can simply say "Hey Google, play radio 4" which is much less of a mouthful. I hope the HomePod command can be similarly succinct.

Reactions: johnyslats

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
I'll try this on my HomePods when I get home, though I wonder whether they'd need the updated software described in the keynote. They may not, though.

On my Google Home minis, I can simply say "Hey Google, play radio 4" which is much less of a mouthful. I hope the HomePod command can be similarly succinct.

Just successfully created a couple of Siri shortcuts and condensed to "Hey Siri, Radio One", "Hey Siri, Radio Two" etc, But it's a bit buggy and sometimes doesn't start. But definite progress!

Last edited:

dburdge

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
It appears that it’s limited to Global radio stations. All are also playable on iOS devices through the music App. Interestingly I can’t find the right voice command to get Classic FM to work on HomePod but the others work fine

I can now get HomePod to play Classic FM with the command "Play Classic FM"

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Yes, people running the beta are reporting this, which is great.

At the very least I’ll be able to ditch the DAB radio in our bedroom, possibly the Bose unit in the kitchen, too.

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
Ooh, that’s exciting! Although what I really want is to be able to ask it to start playing Radio 4 at 6am. My bedside clock/radio is on its last legs (it’s FM and the signal isn’t that great).

Edward452

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
Kenda,,Cumbria, UK
Do we know if it will be possible for the HomePod to just start playing your requested radio station without Siri saying anything? I can imagine it could get to be irritating if you have to listen to her saying “Now playing Radio 4” or whatever every time you want to listen to the radio!

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Do we know if it will be possible for the HomePod to just start playing your requested radio station without Siri saying anything? I can imagine it could get to be irritating if you have to listen to her saying “Now playing Radio 4” or whatever every time you want to listen to the radio!
Once Siri is set to play a specific channel I would anticipate you can just say ‘play’ or ‘stop’ and the device will do that with no verbal response.

It only responds to more complex commands, so you can be sure it has understood.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.