Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
I've always just used the internal mic of my apple laptops when in clamshell mode with an external monitor. They've been fine for Skype and general voice recording. However, the new MacBook Air M1 prevents the internal mic from being used like this. Can anyone suggest a solid alternative usb mic that will capture my voice from about max a meter away (3 ft)? I prefer to not use a headset.

Thanks,

Pete

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't have a particular recommendation but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to limit a mic's range to 3 feet.

Have you looked at Amazon to see the choices for USB microphones? Which type of mic do you want…something on a stand, something that clips to your monitor, etc.?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
I don't have a particular recommendation but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to limit a mic's range to 3 feet.

Have you looked at Amazon to see the choices for USB microphones? Which type of mic do you want…something on a stand, something that clips to your monitor, etc.?
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I've just noticed that it seems many mics are meant to be used close up to the speaker and I'd like to be able to sit back a bit and speak the way I used to with the laptop closed. I'm open to one that either is on a stand or clips on to the monitor, as long as the quality is good.

farciar

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2022
I have RODE NT USB. It's pretty decent but all USB mics have some limits. For the next time, I'd go with XLR mic. They're significantly better in terms of voice repro and they sound more natural and calm.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I have RODE NT USB. It's pretty decent but all USB mics have some limits. For the next time, I'd go with XLR mic. They're significantly better in terms of voice repro and they sound more natural and calm.
Unless "XLR" is a brand with which I'm unaware I have to call this out. XLR is a connector type and the range of mics, both in type and quality, that use it are boundless. XLR has absolutely no effect on sound.

farciar

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2022
I am referring to connector type, and choosing USB vs XLR has some serious consequences. Firstly, you connect the XLR mic to an audio interface which will likely have a better sound processor and DAC than built-in components from the USB mic.

Secondly, XLR cable is way better for passing sound at distance. Lastly, there are fewer issues with the ground loop.

Imo going for XLR mic is a better investment. There are more compatible devices (the whole audio industry relies on XLR), they are cheaper and there is a high chance it will sound better too. Not to mention you can plug multiple mics at once.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I am referring to connector type, and choosing USB vs XLR has some serious consequences. Firstly, you connect the XLR mic to an audio interface which will likely have a better sound processor and DAC than built-in components from the USB mic.

Secondly, XLR cable is way better for passing sound at distance. Lastly, there are fewer issues with the ground loop.

Imo going for XLR mic is a better investment. There are more compatible devices (the whole audio industry relies on XLR), they are cheaper and there is a high chance it will sound better too. Not to mention you can plug multiple mics at once.
Not sure all that is necessary for Skype and "general voice recording". He's not "at distance" either. Perhaps if he had already spent $100+ on a USB audio device he wouldn't be asking about USB mics.

USB microphone ground loops depend on many factors but indeed can be an issue. I suggest that the OP read reviews from people who have actually used a particular model with a new M1 Mac laptop.

Certainly there must be a reasonably priced, compatible USB microphone that will perform as well as the built-in in one on an M1 MacBook Air. Not to mention being portable and less clutter on the desk.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
I've always just used the internal mic of my apple laptops when in clamshell mode with an external monitor. They've been fine for Skype and general voice recording. However, the new MacBook Air M1 prevents the internal mic from being used like this. Can anyone suggest a solid alternative usb mic that will capture my voice from about max a meter away (3 ft)? I prefer to not use a headset.

I have been looking at the Apogee Hypemic myself; cardioid condenser with a built-in analog compressor...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.