Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ren0x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Im intrested in buying cheap used macbook for internet surfing and some xcode programming. Ive checked mac os High Sierra support and...
Wait, does it mean there are more white unibody macbooks supported than metal pro macbooks? Should I buy cheaper white then, and it will be up to date longer?
For example, I have an option to buy white macbook from mid 2010, and macbook pro mid 2010. Which one should I buy? Unibody is also cheaper. Maybe I should buy something else?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Im intrested in buying cheap used macbook for internet surfing and some xcode programming. Ive checked mac os High Sierra support and...
Wait, does it mean there are more white unibody macbooks supported than metal pro macbooks? Should I buy cheaper white then, and it will be up to date longer?
For example, I have an option to buy white macbook from mid 2010, and macbook pro mid 2010. Which one should I buy? Unibody is also cheaper. Maybe I should buy something else?
What are the specs and the cost?

Whatever you get, make sure you factor in the costs for the upgrade to SSD and 8 GB RAM if necessary, as maerz001 says.

BTW, I picked up a 2008 MacBook Unibody aluminum and installed High Sierra on that using a modified installer. Runs fine for what I need it for with 8 GB and SSD. Actually, it was OK with 4 GB, but I don't do programming, and 8 GB is still better even just for basic usage.

It is the MacBook5,1 model and it was pretty cheap, but it turns out the MacBook6,1 white model is similarly cheap and is fully supported for High Sierra. The problem with MacBook6,1 is that they are prone to cracks. Some are also stained. My MacBook5,1 had a small dent in one spot in the aluminum, and a couple of the feet were missing, but the dent is barely noticeable and a set of four feet can be purchased on eBay for less than $1. You don't get staining on the aluminum models either.

Ren0x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
I can wait for another offerts, but for now the best for me are (i dont know much about hardware)
macbook white mid 2010 with following specs:
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 2,4Ghz
  • 4 Gb DDR3
  • 120 GB SSD
  • NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256Mb
206 US Dollars ~ (from PLN, its value in my country)

macbook pro mid 2010 with:

• Procesor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2,66Ghz
  • ram: 4GB
  • 250GB ssd (is it weird? I have never seen this capacity. Seller confimed its SSD)
  • Grafika NVIDIA GeForce 320M
274 US Dollars ~ (also from PLN)

I still dont understand why pro ones are supported from 2010... It looks really weird for me. Macbook Pro looks better in my opinion, but I dont have much money and spending money on a laptop only because xcode is pain for me. Ive tried to run it on virtual machine, and I was able to write a couple of really simple apps, but it works terrible.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I can wait for another offerts, but for now the best for me are (i dont know much about hardware)
macbook white mid 2010 with following specs:
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 2,4Ghz
  • 4 Gb DDR3
  • 120 GB SSD
  • NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256Mb
206 US Dollars ~ (from PLN, its value in my country)

• 250GB ssd (is it weird? I have never seen this capacity. Seller confimed its SSD)
274 US Dollars ~ (also from PLN)

I still dont understand why pro ones are supported from 2010... It looks really weird for me. Macbook Pro looks better in my opinion, but I dont have much money and spending money on a laptop only because xcode is pain for me. Ive tried to run it on virtual machine, and I was able to write a couple of really simple apps, but it works terrible.
If the MacBook Pro is in good condition, then I personally would buy that one. It has a much bigger SSD and a slightly faster CPU. It also has a less bulky aluminum case and it's slightly lighter. In addition, it has Firewire, an infrared receiver, and an SD memory slot. Those are a lot of upgrades for just US$68.

250 GB is a common capacity for SSD.

Last edited:

Ren0x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
If I have an option to buy macbook pro mid 2010, and macbook air late 2010, which one should I buy (concidering both of them have ssd drive)? Graphic cards looks the same, I dont know much about procesors.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
If I have an option to buy macbook pro mid 2010, and macbook air late 2010, which one should I buy (concidering both of them have ssd drive)? Graphic cards looks the same, I dont know much about procesors.
Hard to say unless you have the full specs and price.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
1,4 GHz Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
GeForce 320M
60GB SSD

288.28 US Dollars~

I know the website is in polish, but you can check photos: https://www.olx.pl/oferta/macbook-air-a1370-11-cali-CID99-IDpfbQh.html
[doublepost=1509561817][/doublepost]274.55 US Dollars after small trade ;)
No. Pass

On the Air u can't upgrade RAM. 2 GB is definitely not enough. And 60GB??? Don't know what u really need. But after Xcode and macOS u probably have 20GB free.
There aren't even anymore iPhones with that less storage ;)

Seems like ur limit is $300. I would recommend to buy a MBP. There u can always put in more Ram and upgrade the HDD to SSD for cheap money (less than $100). At least the ones before retina.

On the Air and retina MBP it's a special SSD wich costs much more to upgrade

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
1,4 GHz Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
GeForce 320M
60GB SSD

288.28 US Dollars~

I know the website is in polish, but you can check photos: https://www.olx.pl/oferta/macbook-air-a1370-11-cali-CID99-IDpfbQh.html
That machine is essentially unusable with any modern version of macOS.

For a current OS, you need a bare minimum of 4 GB RAM, with 8 GB strongly preferred. And you'd probably want at least 120 GB for your SSD.

Get this one:

274 US Dollars

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.