Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I have a friend who's a girl. She wants to buy a computer, as she doesn't own one and is sick of her using her mom's outdated slow Windows laptop. She had the idea to buy a pixel book, which I promptly but politely shot down as ChromeOS is limited, not to mention the price tag. She also does not have that kind of budget. I suggested that she save for a few months and then buy a decent midrange sub-1000 dollar Windows laptop. An alternate suggestion I offered was to buy a used MacBook of some kind. However, I am biased towards MacOS. So, if she chooses to come over to Apple, which used MacBook would be a good buy? I realize this question needs some additional context.

Use case: General. No photo or video editing. Web browsing, YouTube, documents for school. Typical stuff
Price range: Under 1000 dollars.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions. A secondary question would be, are there any red flags I should look out for on eBay/Swappa/craiglist/offerup listings? Thanks again!

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
She would probably do well with a MacBook Air. Bought one on Woot a couple of years ago for $800. That was for a 512gb version. I would actually prefer an older one without the butterfly keyboard. Apple refurbished store currently has some models for about $800. Comes with 1 year warranty and eligible for AppleCare.

Local sales are generally better than eBay since you get to see and use it before buying. I bought my MBP on Craigslist 8 years ago. Still going strong. Did a little research on the seller and found that his step-father was a local policeman. We did the transaction at the police station so we both felt secure.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I agree with the posters above me. Sure you could go for a pre-2016 MBP, but those are getting old and will not have any sort of warranty. The big sticking point for a long time was the butterfly keyboard, which has now been resolved. Try to get EDU discount, but the new MBA is really the way to go.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
“would actually prefer an older one without the butterfly keyboard. Apple refurbished store currently has some models for about $800. Comes with 1 year warranty and eligible for AppleCare.”

That. might have been true two months ago, and a couple did sneak in recently, but they are no longer available.

Far better to spend $900 or $1,000 on a 2020 MacBook Air. That would suit her needs to a tee — would be brand new, would have excellent resale value, and a much, much better display than the old version.

algoy

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2020
2020 base Macbook Air with edu discount...those are no-brainer even here in Europe! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.